"Saving Spots" - Your opinion?

Discuss WolfQuest (the game, forum, etc.).

Moderators: Neamara, paperpaws, Frodo1

-x- Silvie -x-
Former WQ Moderator

Re: "Saving Spots" - Your opinion?

Post by -x- Silvie -x- » Wed Sep 01, 2010 5:49 am

I suppose I'm like most of the others here, with a two-sided opinion. Now, I agree: if someone's friend crashed or glitched and would be right back, then it's fine that they are saving spots; but only as long as they are nice about it. Open Games are for everyone, and everyone has feelings. In Open Games no one "has" to leave. I have never actually personally entered an Open Game and been asked to leave, but as long as the spot-saver was kind and explanatory about it, I would gladly leave. But it isn't fair to get angry about it. It's not as if the new player knows that they're saving a spot, because Open Games are, well, open. I know I would get annoyed if someone said "Leave or I'll report you," because not only is it not the absent person's fault (normally) nor the joining person's fault, but it's that the target person isn't really doing anything wrong. They joined an Open Game, which everyone knows are generally for everybody, and I highly doubt a moderator or administrator would think the joining person was doing anything wrong either. In fact, I think that a rude spot-saver is the one to get reported! If someone doesn't want to risk this problem, then they can always open a Private Game. Then there won't be any need for spot-saving. And if it was an Open Game of preferance, then there's unfortunately nothing someone can do to really, seriously make someone else leave. I find that they could at least be nice about it, and the person would probably leave anyway. So, there's a bit of a two-way thing here: if you need to save a spot for a crashed friend, then be nice about it. Open Games are for everyone, and people are more likely to leave if you're kind about it anyway. If you don't want to take a risk, then open a Private Game. It's as simple as the day, really. ^^
_______________Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ S I L V I E Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ
___________-___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___
_______________--BladeTheWolf00's Sister
______________________-_~-*-~
__________________"Patience is a virtue,
_________________-_love is a value."
___________-___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___
_____________sig © me /\ av © Koa (Thanks!)
___________________-_previously BooboosPiggy

gemmawolf
Pup
Pup

Post by gemmawolf » Wed Sep 01, 2010 12:36 pm

you know, wolfquest could just sort this whole thing out with 2.5 by completely removing bugs and glitches and making sure that the private games work.
not simply or easy, i know, but then there would be no excuse.
like i said before, if someone is on brb thaty dont have to leave the game! they can jsut stay but be inactive - that way their spot is safe unless the game goes down, but that cant be prevented.
40+ posters, 24 novels, series 2,3,4 and specials? - yeah, I'm a Doctor10 fangirl :)

x-Riley-x
Dispersal Wolf
Dispersal Wolf

Post by x-Riley-x » Wed Sep 01, 2010 3:22 pm

I sort of agree... but I must say, if people want their spot saved they shouldn't leave the game. If they're spot gets taken it is sort of their own fault for leaving the game in the first place. So with that I think people just need to learn that you can't really just leave a game and expect people to "save your spot"; it's unfair to the person they make leave when sometimes it can take a while for them to get back on the game....
And if their spot does get taken, odds are there is another game up like the one they were on that they could join in.
I M A G I N E . D R A G O N S
﹋﹋﹋﹋﹋﹋﹋﹋﹋﹋﹋﹋﹋﹋
--Now don't you understand.
'I'm never changing who I am.

﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏﹏

Griffinsong
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf

Post by Griffinsong » Wed Sep 01, 2010 4:12 pm

If someone crashes, I don't see why it's a huge deal to save their spot--sure it's polite, and if someone asks me politely to leave because they were RPing or some such, I don't see a problem with that--but if they haven't come back for like ten minutes, why are they still saving the spot? :/

Open games are just that--open. Which means that anyone should be able to join.

Jayness
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf

Post by Jayness » Wed Sep 01, 2010 4:46 pm

I think that people shouldn't have to have spots if they don't wan't to.
..................αsριηε
......ωσℓfqυεsт cσммυηιтy мεмвεя

..Why run if you're already skinny?

Previously Aspine
──────────────────────────────

Mellody
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by Mellody » Wed Sep 01, 2010 5:52 pm

I dislike saving spots unlessl:
1) someone crashes
2) i am saving a spot for only up to two players that are really good friends to me
3) someone asks me to save their spot for some reason what so ever
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I do try to type it in as "saving spots, please leave" but its probably because some one crashed during a RP or right before im about to tell the others something important, if I have the time to ASK them MORE politely, I would but they would probably already have been scared away by the other less polite rpers by the time I press ENTER! :roll:
So I understand why people save spots, another reason is because in private games people ever join you for some reason, even though you gave them the password and the game name. :?
Crimson Sled Team
Coal
Blade
Sound
Blizzard
Frost
Tornado
_______________ -
______________/__l /_l
_____________/____v_l
___________/__|_____l
__________/_/_______\
__________V_________\
___________/_________\
RPer
--------------
Annoying defenseless role players, one role play rule at a time ^_^b

Zethra

Post by Zethra » Fri Sep 03, 2010 9:03 am

Yeah, what would be taken as a more polite way of saying would be. "Would it be possible for you to leave please? I am saving a spot for someone and [insert reason why private games are not available]." Or something along those lines. Though, there are still those who will refuse to leave no matter what reason given at all, due to the open game thing.
Which, as the FAQs put it would be rude. (even if you don't half to leave a game, it's still respectful but only if there is a valid reason)

So, I do respect both sides, although it's nice for either side to be nice on the hand. In my opinion, although if one is being rude and there isn't a valid reason I'd usually stay. (until the leader remakes the game.)
............'..........Avatar by Zethra

Duskwolf11
Pup
Pup

Post by Duskwolf11 » Sun Sep 05, 2010 2:58 am

I have nothing agenst it. I sometimes do it, its not agenst the WQ rules as well as, sometimes you are in the middle of an rp and a person that is rping with you crashes/has to go for a while/ect and would like to rp with the same people I dont mind. When some one asks me and I see there is no spots left I leave, but thats just me. They are just being polite and want the person to come back. Yet some people are rude and say 'Get out' 'Leave now' and other things give "Saving Spots" a bad name.
'The scorpian plunged his stunger into the bird's back. "Why?" She cried, "Now we shall both die!" "Yes, but no matter what we say or do, nature is the one we shall turn to."'

Masika
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month

Post by Masika » Sun Sep 12, 2010 1:37 am

I'm basically a fence sitter on this one, my opinion on this subject varies a lot.

I don't usually have much of an issue with it (not really keen on the idea though of saving spots), as long as users ask nicely for someone to leave, have a valid reason for it and not in a aggressive way. Though I'd like it if users wanted certain people in their game, to make a private one, as thats what they are there for.

I don't mind if someone asks me to leave depending on the situation, like if someone crashes, since thats understandable. I'd also understand if they only had an open game and were saving spots because some of the users had problems joining private games, as some people do have that issue.

If someone commanded me to leave in a rather rude way, I wouldn't be overly happy by it. I've come across people threatening to report other users if they don't leave their game, which I find rather silly, considering its an open game, which is suppose to be for everyone.
« A PRIVATE LIFE IS A HAPPY LIFE.»
•••
Icon (c) coyoteflu

Duskwolf11
Pup
Pup

Post by Duskwolf11 » Sun Sep 12, 2010 2:16 am

SilverHybrid wrote:I'm basically a fence sitter on this one, my opinion on this subject varies a lot.

I don't usually have much of an issue with it (not really keen on the idea though of saving spots), as long as users ask nicely for someone to leave, have a valid reason for it and not in a aggressive way. Though I'd like it if users wanted certain people in their game, to make a private one, as thats what they are there for.

I don't mind if someone asks me to leave depending on the situation, like if someone crashes, since thats understandable. I'd also understand if they only had an open game and were saving spots because some of the users had problems joining private games, as some people do have that issue.

If someone commanded me to leave in a rather rude way, I wouldn't be overly happy by it. I've come across people threatening to report other users if they don't leave their game, which I find rather silly, considering its an open game, which is suppose to be for everyone.
I couldnt agree more SilverHybrid! It depends. Some people, like me, have their games crash without any warrnings, so they cant say im crashing. and they cant contact the people and say "Go to (name of chat) in the private games, password is (whatever the password is)
'The scorpian plunged his stunger into the bird's back. "Why?" She cried, "Now we shall both die!" "Yes, but no matter what we say or do, nature is the one we shall turn to."'

Grin
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month

Post by Grin » Sun Sep 12, 2010 9:05 am

Whenever I was told to leave a multiplayer game because the game host was saving a spot, I immediately thought it was rather rude. I understand that they may want to be with their friends, but they don't have to be rude about it. Like mentioned, if these said users really cared about playing with their friends, then they should just create a private game instead of giving the other users the boot and 'kicking them off'.

Have any of you ever seen a multiplayer game that's titled something like, "soandsoPlzCome"? I come across those all the time, and I find that many other users deliberately try to take up spots in multiplayer games titled like this.

___┍ ɢ ʀ ɪ ɴ ┑___

▔▔┕ ʜ ᴏ ᴜ ɴ ᴅ ┙▔▔

Adalae
Former WQ Moderator

Post by Adalae » Sun Sep 12, 2010 9:08 am

Sethos wrote:Whenever I was told to leave a multiplayer game because the game host was saving a spot, I immediately thought it was rather rude. I understand that they may want to be with their friends, but they don't have to be rude about it. Like mentioned, if these said users really cared about playing with their friends, then they should just create a private game instead of giving the other users the boot and 'kicking them off'.

Have any of you ever seen a multiplayer game that's titled something like, "soandsoPlzCome"? I come across those all the time, and I find that many other users deliberately try to take up spots in multiplayer games titled like this.
That's just how people are: they want to annoy the user of the game that put that. I've seen a lot of games like that, and some like "ONLY_____PLZCOME" and those are a tad annoying. I never join them though.
"Its not one of those things you can fix like you fix your bow tie.
.......... Dont give me those big wet eyes, Raggedy Man."

http://tinyurl.com/thefourclans

Grin
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month

Post by Grin » Sun Sep 12, 2010 9:10 am

What's strange about titling their games as "Only___PlzCome" is that they make their game have more than two user slots, so they know that more people are going to join in the first place.

___┍ ɢ ʀ ɪ ɴ ┑___

▔▔┕ ʜ ᴏ ᴜ ɴ ᴅ ┙▔▔

Zethra

Post by Zethra » Sun Sep 12, 2010 9:12 am

I agree with yah Sethos, I've seen games like that. Or like "FRIENDSONLYCOME" Or, "___Come"
And then we have the person with said name making a game that says for the other person to come.
Quite silly, interesting and rather annoying when I see things like that in Open games unless there is a extremely good reason for it.
............'..........Avatar by Zethra

Grin
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month

Post by Grin » Sun Sep 12, 2010 9:17 am

Since so many names of users appear as "FILTERED", it really doesn't help to create those types of multiplayer games either. Their friends can't join if they don't know who and where you are.

___┍ ɢ ʀ ɪ ɴ ┑___

▔▔┕ ʜ ᴏ ᴜ ɴ ᴅ ┙▔▔

Return to “General WolfQuest Discussion”