"Saving Spots" - Your opinion?

Discuss WolfQuest (the game, forum, etc.).

Moderators: Neamara, paperpaws, Frodo1

User avatar
Aquila K9
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training
Posts: 227
Joined: Sat Aug 07, 2010 9:13 pm
Name: Aquila
Gender: Male
Location: Planet Earth

Re: "Saving Spots" - Your opinion?

Post by Aquila K9 » Thu Oct 20, 2016 4:10 pm

loboLoco wrote:Pepper handles the in-game reports. We didn't think that we needed to revive the Report Team since we now have in-game reporting, as well as the warning and kicking system. We've tried to put everything in place to let players deal with issues and conflicts in a game, but we can't force good behavior on players who are keen on being obnoxious. But we do now have a plan for this problem with players who kick other players excessively. It'll be a few weeks before we get it working for the next patch.
Thanks for all the info! I for one really appreciate all the work you all do for the game. I know it must be tiring and not easy sometimes. I still play the multiplayer games frequently, and I'm not put off at all by a few bad behaving players here and there. It's rare for me to report or kick anyone from a game, and it takes a lot to annoy me. I look forward to seeing the new updates! :D
_.•¡'*'¡•._.•¡'*'¡•._.•¡'*'¡•._.•¡'*'¡•._.•¡'*'¡•._
Look in the Shadows, 'cause you're not alone.
My heart and soul you'll always own.
Fate is not at all set in stone...
_.•¡'*'¡•._.•¡'*'¡•._.•¡'*'¡•._.•¡'*'¡•._.•¡'*'¡•._
Signature by Blackburn

amethystrose
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training
Posts: 219
Joined: Thu May 12, 2011 2:15 pm
Name: Hypnotic
Gender: Female
Location: Maine, US

Re: "Saving Spots" - Your opinion?

Post by amethystrose » Mon Oct 31, 2016 6:55 am

I absolutely HATE the term, "Saving spots"! I'll tell a story of what happened to me about 6 or so years ago, and this will be the reason for why I no longer join anyone else's server!

STORY: I went into this server that looked interesting. (I forgot the name of the server, it was probably a Wolf RP or something...). I entered the server, and these people... These people were probably the most childish players I have ever came across. They were very rude to me in asking me to leave because they were "Saving spots". I tried my best to stay calm and explain to them that it was an open game and ALL open games were for anyone to join. I also explained the process of creating a private server. Now here is where it gets funny! The childish part: They said things like, "*Throws pencils at*", and other childish remarks, as if that would somehow get me to leave. Now, I didn't leave the sever until a long time after they acted like complete jerks, but I really should have reported them for the rudeness.
For a LONG time, I thought that you could get reported for not leaving a server when asked in a rude way. I used to get really anxious when someone said to me, "I'll report you!". That honestly made me a bit scared, which was why I thought I would lose my account, but that was when I was younger at the time. Now I just think it's a bit child-like to say to someone, because it's like, "Yeah you go right ahead. Report me. But I will for sure, not get banned for something that I DIDN'T do wrong!" More like they could get a warning for reporting someone for no good reason.
I've read some of you guy's opinions on this, and I respect them greatly. I just find it funny how someone thinks that some random user will get in trouble, just because they happen to not leave the server. This is the main reason for why I never in my life, will join anyone else's server, because half the time, they will get mad at me for joining, or just other things, really... This is the reason for why I make my OWN servers. I hate saving spots because I would feel like some jerk who only allows certain people to join an open game, instead of being kind and letting people join as they wish. But since I AM kind-hearted, I will let people join my servers.
"Saving spots" should NEVER be allowed on WolfQuest multiplayer games whatsoever. However, I did see the new "update", where it was stated that "Saving spots" wasn't an option and that if something like that ever happened again, that the person being harassed about it, should report them. Nonsense like that shouldn't be an excuse.
[Hypnotic Phrases]:
~The deeper you go, the better you feel. And the better you feel, the deeper you go~.
~Relax Deeper~

User avatar
loboLoco
WolfQuest Team Member
WolfQuest Team Member
Posts: 2684
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2007 4:51 pm
Gender: Male
Contact:

Re: "Saving Spots" - Your opinion?

Post by loboLoco » Wed Nov 02, 2016 7:36 am

We'll be releasing a patch next week that will help us deal with players who kick too much.
Dave/loboLoco
WolfQuest Game Producer

User avatar
Kamaal
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 1080
Joined: Fri May 22, 2015 9:08 am
Name: Kam
Gender: Female
Location: Wanna take a guess?

Re: "Saving Spots" - Your opinion?

Post by Kamaal » Wed Nov 02, 2016 9:01 am

loboLoco wrote:We'll be releasing a patch next week that will help us deal with players who kick too much.
Thank you for letting us know Dave! I'm curious to see how this will work.
I ran out of snarky remarks, unfortunately.
Avatar © LupinzPack

User avatar
Phasoli
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf
Posts: 644
Joined: Sat Jun 20, 2015 5:23 pm
Name: Call me Tsuri!
Gender: Gender neutral
Location: Photosynthesizing with the beans in the backyard
Contact:

Re: "Saving Spots" - Your opinion?

Post by Phasoli » Wed Nov 02, 2016 2:35 pm

Kamaal wrote:
loboLoco wrote:We'll be releasing a patch next week that will help us deal with players who kick too much.
Thank you for letting us know Dave! I'm curious to see how this will work.
Same here. It's a shame that we must create accommodations to suit those who seek to blatantly break the rules rather than taking the easy route--to simply comply.
||,.°`°.,,.°`°.,||ЖЖЖ||,.°`°.,,.°`°.,||
Writing is a job, a talent,
but it's also the place to go inside your head.
It's the imaginary friend you drink tea
with in the afternoon.
||,.°`°.,||Ж||,.°`°.,||
sig/quote © Kamaal/Ann Patchett

User avatar
Xela Winchester
Pup
Pup
Posts: 29
Joined: Thu Feb 04, 2016 2:40 pm
Name: Nova
Location: Exploring the universe, one galaxy at a time.

Re: "Saving Spots" - Your opinion?

Post by Xela Winchester » Fri Nov 04, 2016 1:09 pm

loboLoco wrote:We'll be releasing a patch next week that will help us deal with players who kick too much.
Speaking of which, it'd be cool if there was a way to temporarily revoke a player's ability to kick if they abuse the system too much. As for saving spots, I believe that defeats the purpose of an open game. If you don't want somebody getting "locked out" of your server, then create a private game.
"Are you chasing something, or running away?"
-The Outsider, Dishonored

User avatar
Pepper
WolfQuest Team Member
WolfQuest Team Member
Posts: 394
Joined: Thu Dec 20, 2007 2:32 pm
Gender: Female
Location: Eduweb world headquarters
Contact:

Re: "Saving Spots" - Your opinion?

Post by Pepper » Tue Dec 27, 2016 7:56 am

I started a new conversation "To Kick or not to Kick" about "kicking" at

http://www.wolfquest.org/bb/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=81862

If you have any questions or comments about kicking, go there. Thanks!
Pepper
WolfQuest Team Member

Shake your glitter.

User avatar
Noctis_
Yearling
Yearling
Posts: 274
Joined: Fri Oct 10, 2014 6:35 pm
Gender: Male
Location: North America

Re: "Saving Spots" - Your opinion?

Post by Noctis_ » Sun Feb 19, 2017 6:18 pm

I've been in a few games where a friend of mine's game crashed, and then their spot was filled by another player so they could not re-enter. This is disappointing, but I still believe that players should not be allowed to "save spots". If a person really wants to only play with friends, then they should create a private server-- which, with the arrival of 2.7, is way easier and less buggy. I think spot saving was more common in WQ 2.5 because there was no in-game messaging system, so to communicate, players had to leave the game, log on to the website, and use the PM system. In my experience, players who said they'd PM me on the forums never actually followed through on this and instead just found another open game. Creating private games is much more convenient now, so there's really no excuse for saving spots.
ŊØͻϯϋɇ

User avatar
Rustic
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training
Posts: 196
Joined: Mon Sep 01, 2008 4:44 pm

Re: "Saving Spots" - Your opinion?

Post by Rustic » Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:08 pm

I have been finding lately that people making public games will now just kick you right out of the game as soon as you enter.
THIS is exactly why I dislike the feature that was added preventing a person from rejoining, and even SEEING the chat they were kicked out of. If you can't find or rejoin (even once after being kicked) it is impossible to report the user for saving spots in an open game.

I have on several occasions been kicked from an open game immediately after joining it. :( Sooo....that is one feature I wish had never been added to a game...Maybe as a compromise to both parties allow the game to still be SEEN on the server list...but have the join option greyed out. That way you can still see the game you were kicked from...and thus report from the server screen. But people who are legitimately kicking people are able to have them prevented from returning to the server they were kicked from.

User avatar
loboLoco
WolfQuest Team Member
WolfQuest Team Member
Posts: 2684
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2007 4:51 pm
Gender: Male
Contact:

Re: "Saving Spots" - Your opinion?

Post by loboLoco » Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:35 pm

Rustic wrote:
I have been finding lately that people making public games will now just kick you right out of the game as soon as you enter.
THIS is exactly why I dislike the feature that was added preventing a person from rejoining, and even SEEING the chat they were kicked out of. If you can't find or rejoin (even once after being kicked) it is impossible to report the user for saving spots in an open game.

I have on several occasions been kicked from an open game immediately after joining it. :( Sooo....that is one feature I wish had never been added to a game...Maybe as a compromise to both parties allow the game to still be SEEN on the server list...but have the join option greyed out. That way you can still see the game you were kicked from...and thus report from the server screen. But people who are legitimately kicking people are able to have them prevented from returning to the server they were kicked from.
The problem with that is trying to deal with those reports. We get bogged down in hearsay and counter-arguments, and it becomes a huge drain on our time. We already spend 1-3 hours a day dealing with reports. Do you really want us to spend more time arbitrating these conflicts, or do you want us working on Episode 3? We'd ask that players just accept that there are jerks out there and find a more congenial group to play with.
Dave/loboLoco
WolfQuest Game Producer

User avatar
Rustic
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training
Posts: 196
Joined: Mon Sep 01, 2008 4:44 pm

Re: "Saving Spots" - Your opinion?

Post by Rustic » Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:41 pm

We'd ask that players just accept that there are jerks out there and find a more congenial group to play with.
Hmmm...good point :D

and my vote would be to work on episode 3....REALLY looking forward to that!!

User avatar
wolfadore
Pup
Pup
Posts: 53
Joined: Tue Nov 30, 2010 7:05 pm
Gender: Female

Re: "Saving Spots" - Your opinion?

Post by wolfadore » Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:58 pm

I agree that you should be able to save a spot if someone was there and should be right back, or if private games don't work. However, even if someone is nice but doesn't give a reason, I will ask for them to make a private game. I have had a few people get angry with me, but even if i stay, i have learned that they will generally just close the game then remake it.
Whenever you feel alone,
Just close your eyes.
You will see six prints, two yours, four mine.
And then you will know that I have not left you.

User avatar
Nayoxii
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 306
Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2016 1:37 pm
Name: C0rgi/Shiranui
Gender: Genderfluid
Location: In my room, complaining about something.
Contact:

Re: "Saving Spots" - Your opinion?

Post by Nayoxii » Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:51 am

  • Ive never had a problem with people saving spots, I’m one of those people who will just leave and find a different server. I’ve never saved spots for friends because i don’t mind if people wanna join and play, it’s easier to just wait for them to leave naturally because eventually they do. And while this can annoy some friends, it’s simply a matter of being respectful because you chose to open that game for people to join, and people will join regardless.

    I agree that it’d be easier for people to just make a private game and invite said friends via pm, or vice versa. I don’t really agree with the whole saving spots but I won’t be rude about it and start some kind of fight over it.
𝟣𝟥/𝟣𝟢/𝟢𝟪 | 𝟣𝟣 𝗒𝖾𝖺𝗋𝗌 𝗈𝖿 𝖶𝗈𝗅𝖿𝗊𝗎𝖾𝗌𝗍
𝖣𝖾𝖼𝖾𝗆𝖻𝖾𝗋 𝟤𝟢𝟣𝟩 | 𝖴𝖮𝖳𝖬
𝖠𝗏𝖺𝗍𝖺𝗋 | DreamyDoggo

User avatar
perenril
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 434
Joined: Mon Sep 04, 2017 3:42 am
Name: Ril
Gender: Female
Location: Rearranging The Fridge Magnets

Re: "Saving Spots" - Your opinion?

Post by perenril » Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:13 pm

Personally, I don’t ,ind when people are saving spots, I will admit, I have done this before. Unfortunately the member who joined didn’t take it very well when I told them, “oh, I’m sorry, we were saving that spot for someone who was here before, they had to go brb for a couple of seconds”.

I don’t have a problem with other people saving spots, usually if someone asks me to leave because a spot is being saved, I will just leave without question and find another server.

◤ ◌ ↽⇁↠◌▪◥
And you hope that the love is enough
I believe that you wanted to run
With the light of the fire, the sound of the gun
--
Come now, sail away with me
Now, what do you say?
We both know where we've been
And we won't go back there again
◣▾ ◌↽⇁↠◈▾◢
--
Avatar@Sobbaka

User avatar
Frodo1
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator
Posts: 2264
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2010 4:35 pm
Name: Frodo/Jay
Gender: Female
Location: Being a hermit hobgoblin in the dark in my room XD
Contact:

Re: "Saving Spots" - Your opinion?

Post by Frodo1 » Sun Oct 15, 2017 2:28 pm

Like people have been saying, I can understand saving spots if it was already a public game and someone just had to pop off for a short bit. It's a hassle to move everyone to a private server if it started as an open one and is a big game in many cases. But at the same time, the player who joined isn't obligated to leave-- though tbh, I'd consider it common courtesy if that is the situation. But if it's a server made for friends to begin with, it really should be a private game unless people are okay with others joining (or private games just aren't working for whatever reason-- in which case that should be reported to the dev team so they can try and fix things). In 2.7, it's easy enough to PM people in-game and tell them the game name and password, so that shouldn't be an issue...
The other thing is, some people are just downright rude and obnoxious about it. It's one thing to say "Hey, would you mind finding another game? Someone here had to leave for a sec but they're coming right back, sorry!", and a completely different situation if they go "GET OUT THIS SPOT IS SAVED YOU CAN'T BE HERE GO OR I'LL KICK YOU!!!!!! D:< D:< D:<"
So yeah, generally I can't say I condone saving spots, but in some cases I don't mind it that much, as long as it's done respectfully.
JayPlays on YouTube
Nature and wildlife gaming videos the whole family can enjoy!
Join the adventure here
Av/Sig © me

Post Reply

Return to “General WolfQuest Discussion”