"Saving Spots" - Your opinion?

Discuss WolfQuest (the game, forum, etc.).

Moderators: Neamara, paperpaws, Frodo1

Gargantor
Top Elk Hunter

Re: "Saving Spots" - Your opinion?

Post by Gargantor » Fri Aug 27, 2010 5:17 am

Okay here is my opinion on this matter.
I myself know how good a game can be. Especially if we get a nice team together who can RP good, and actually knows real wolf behavior. This is mostly a random bunch, who we meet for the first time.
People do crash. Yes, and i do save their post. I must say i used the term: 'please leave' until a few months, as i have heard it and so thought this is asking nice. (translating this term to my language it is a quiet polite asking). A few months ago i learned that this is actually a command. So i switched to a really polite way, like could you please or would you please leave? and of course the reason with a sorry. This way i guess its polite enough.
And if i ask polite, i do await politeness in return. I say if someone actually asks polite... be polite and leave.Because if you dont, they will think: why am i even polite if it doesnt work?
And then comes the complain from you being asked rudely.
I must say i myself come across people who ask quiet rude, not even using the word 'please' in their commands. Now these are the chats i refuse to leave. As long as im not asked nicely or they dont close the chat. If someone actually says it nice after, i leave.
Pluswe have to think about the following: not everyone can enter private games, me one of them.
If someone makes a private game, gives me the pack name and the password, i type it in many times but it always says the same...Game does not exist... And if i actually succeed, i crash in the matter of minutes or freeze. Which is the case with most of my friends. So we are bound to the open games.
Anyway... to sum it up:
If you are asked nice, be nice in return and leave. If you are asked rude, dont even think about leaving the chat.
Asheek wrote:I wouldent ever leave a game. If it's an open game that means it's for everyone, and frankly I dont care if their friend crashed. I used to crash alot and I never threw a fit if my spot was taken, I'd just move onto the next game.
If they ask polite better leave the chat. If i ask someone nice i await the same in return. With not leaving when asked to nicely, you make them go at you rudely, which is your problem.
Its not too easy if you were in a good realistic RP, you would want to enter again and continue. Especially when you were having fun with these people.
сøυɾαģε, αвøṿε αll τhïṉģṡ, ïṡ τhε ƒïɾṡτ συαlïτÿ øƒ α ώαɾɾïøɾ.

gemmawolf
Pup
Pup

Post by gemmawolf » Fri Aug 27, 2010 5:49 am

ive been on both sides of the story here.
ive been told over and over and over to leave a multiplayer game because theyre saving a spot. i tell them that it is an open game and i have every right to be there, and to make a private game if they want to chat with their friends. no one has ever told me that their private game doesnt work, so i assume theyre jsut being difficult XD usually, they end the game and start up again.
on the other side of things, ive had really good rps/mps with complete strangers (i dont really have any close friends on the site). often they want to change their wolfs stats/colour, so they leave, asking us to save a spot for them. i dont, but others usually do. this annoys me - they dont NEED to change their wolf at all. if they have to leave to eat or something off the computer, they can just stay in the game and come back when theyre finished. as far as im concerned, once youve left the game youve left it, and unless its because you crashed, its your own fault and choice and there is no reason to have a spot saved.
if nobody has a good reason why they are saving a spot (player crashed, cant use private games are my only two) i dont see why i should have to leave.
my private game system doesnt work, and i dont complain about it, i just see what choice there is on open games and head into one i like the sound of.
also, if someone leaves to come STRAIGHT back - fine. but to me if they arent back in 3 mins theyre out. like i say, just post brb, stay in the game and resume later. saves a lot of bother.
40+ posters, 24 novels, series 2,3,4 and specials? - yeah, I'm a Doctor10 fangirl :)

Yellowie100
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf

Post by Yellowie100 » Fri Aug 27, 2010 2:43 pm

Also (you'll surely agree on me with this), GOIN ANY game that says DONTCOME and stay in there no matter what. If they tell you to leave stay and tell them it's an open game and you can stay long as you want and stuff.
SHEEP<3

Thowfeet
Pup
Pup

Post by Thowfeet » Fri Aug 27, 2010 3:48 pm

Hmmm, good point and post. The number one rule, always, in everything, ALWAYS BE NICE! (not being mean, just caps for emphasis.) Being nice is the key. Many bad things could come if you're mean. They could report you, you would have a bad conscience (don't know how to spell that, sorry), and many other things. Just BE NICE. Hmmm, good point and post. If someone has crashed, I think it's OK to save spots, but when people are on BRB it would be a good idea to estimate how they will be gone, and then if new people join, tell them you are saving spot, (of course, only save it if it would exceed the maximum users for the game for another user to join) then tell them when you expect the other user.
Also, it would kind of complicate it to create a private game. you know, notify all users in your pack etc of the name, password etc, so it would complicate it, even more so depending on the size of your pack.

Just my opinion.

Thanks!
Thowfeet

Always happy to help when I can!
H.O.W.L.!
Help Our Wolves Live!

I am a country boy. I'm definitely a country boy.
My LEGO stuff: http://mocpages.com/home.php/15101

ziley
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by ziley » Fri Aug 27, 2010 6:28 pm

I personally do not like this. Yesterday I went into a "WerewolfVampireHuman" RP and there was only two people. Before I could even say Hi they said "Grr leave were saving all of the spots!" They said it very rudely and I said "This is an open game, anyone can come and stay." Then they got all mad again and said, "Grr ditch leave!!!" I was going to report them today, but I had forgotten their usernames. I left after that, and was angry. I hadn't even said a word and they got all mad...
Rena
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Wolf Pride!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

April

Post by April » Fri Aug 27, 2010 6:34 pm

You shouldn't take it personally. Some people are just ignorant like that. Just move to the next game out there. There's lots of games and a wide variety to chose from. If one is saving spots then there are always others you can join. I've personally never had a problem with it. When people say they are saving spots I just simply join another game.
Avatar by me. Read my book Lessons Learned (A fiction book about African Wild Dogs) at:

http://aprilsilverwolf.wix.com/lessonslearnednovel

~April~
~Member Of The Month for October of 2009~
Yellowstone wolf international/Skilled Hunter

Snow Powder Runs Pack

RoarOriole

Post by RoarOriole » Fri Aug 27, 2010 10:19 pm

April wrote:You shouldn't take it personally. Some people are just ignorant like that. Just move to the next game out there. There's lots of games and a wide variety to chose from. If one is saving spots then there are always others you can join. I've personally never had a problem with it. When people say they are saving spots I just simply join another game.
Yes, but it can get hurtful sometimes...such as when every single chat you enter for a day kicks you out...nicely, rudely, or via closing the chat and restarting it. :( You feel like an outcast sometimes.

But it is best to not take it personally.
I like discussing deep things, playing video games, and mentally torturing myself by studying C# even though I'm not a math person.

April

Post by April » Fri Aug 27, 2010 10:27 pm

I've never had it happen that every game kicks me out. I've only come across the matter a couple to a few times. Although I don't play multiplayer much anymore but back in the day when people didn't report each other and when there were all these mate problems and pupkillers and roleplay and power play and whatever else-you name it-it was kind of rare. XD I guess its a lot more common now isn't it?
Avatar by me. Read my book Lessons Learned (A fiction book about African Wild Dogs) at:

http://aprilsilverwolf.wix.com/lessonslearnednovel

~April~
~Member Of The Month for October of 2009~
Yellowstone wolf international/Skilled Hunter

Snow Powder Runs Pack

betboo99
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by betboo99 » Sat Aug 28, 2010 7:08 am

I joined a 'Everyone Welcome' Role - play and when I had arrived I was told that I must leave since they are saving a spot for someone.
I always write brb and stay on for a while to see what they say about me - but I will always leave in the end since someone is probably waiting to play :D
But personally I don't agree with it :?

Yellowie100
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf

Post by Yellowie100 » Sat Aug 28, 2010 8:36 am

Thowfeet wrote:Hmmm, good point and post. The number one rule, always, in everything, ALWAYS BE NICE! (not being mean, just caps for emphasis.) Being nice is the key. Many bad things could come if you're mean. They could report you, you would have a bad conscience (don't know how to spell that, sorry), and many other things. Just BE NICE. Hmmm, good point and post. If someone has crashed, I think it's OK to save spots, but when people are on BRB it would be a good idea to estimate how they will be gone, and then if new people join, tell them you are saving spot, (of course, only save it if it would exceed the maximum users for the game for another user to join) then tell them when you expect the other user.
Also, it would kind of complicate it to create a private game. you know, notify all users in your pack etc of the name, password etc, so it would complicate it, even more so depending on the size of your pack.

Just my opinion.

Thanks!
If they start being mean to you from the start, ignore them or tell them that it's an open game and what not.
And how hard can it be to start a private game?
Step One: Tell pack MP game name. Step Two: Tell them the password.
How hard is THAT? If the private games are down, too bad. You can go into ANY games regardless if they are called "DONTCOME" or "STAY OUT" or "SAVING SPOT"
SHEEP<3

Gargantor
Top Elk Hunter

Post by Gargantor » Sat Aug 28, 2010 8:41 am

Whitewolf700 wrote:
Thowfeet wrote:Hmmm, good point and post. The number one rule, always, in everything, ALWAYS BE NICE! (not being mean, just caps for emphasis.) Being nice is the key. Many bad things could come if you're mean. They could report you, you would have a bad conscience (don't know how to spell that, sorry), and many other things. Just BE NICE. Hmmm, good point and post. If someone has crashed, I think it's OK to save spots, but when people are on BRB it would be a good idea to estimate how they will be gone, and then if new people join, tell them you are saving spot, (of course, only save it if it would exceed the maximum users for the game for another user to join) then tell them when you expect the other user.

Just my opinion.

Thanks!
If they start being mean to you from the start, ignore them or tell them that it's an open game and what not.
And how hard can it be to start a private game?
Step One: Tell pack MP game name. Step Two: Tell them the password.
How hard is THAT? If the private games are down, too bad. You can go into ANY games regardless if they are called "DONTCOME" or "STAY OUT" or "SAVING SPOT"
Actually in the middle of a good RP crashing happens, and of course we save spots.
+ Dont forget that not everyone can join private games, which is not their fault, so they are stuck on open games.(like me and most of my friends)
You cant be ignorant towards spot saving players who ask you nice and polite. I for example await politeness in return when im polite.
But i agree... if someone asks rude, then stay. no matter what lol
сøυɾαģε, αвøṿε αll τhïṉģṡ, ïṡ τhε ƒïɾṡτ συαlïτÿ øƒ α ώαɾɾïøɾ.

Zethra

Post by Zethra » Sat Aug 28, 2010 8:47 am

I agree kinda with Whitewolf on that one, it's not that hard to tell pack members about private games. In fact if you do not wish to contact them via PM because of it taking to long, you can always post the game on the pack's website. It is simple enough, since the members usually are on the website anyways and can access the information. Although, it depends on if they can join private games or not, as Garganator said. (so there may be exceptions)

I also have to say that I have also been on both sides of this "saving spots" thing. I have been in games, where we are playing with our friends and one crashes. So, naturally, they save a spot for them. Personally, I have to say I was the only one who explained the matter to the people who entered the game... and, why Private Games couldn't be made (the one who crashed couldn't access private games, and private games where down at the time). That, or either I would keep quiet. I don't really like telling others to leave open games when they usually shouldn't have to.
............'..........Avatar by Zethra

+ShadowDarkWolf+
Pup
Pup

Post by +ShadowDarkWolf+ » Sat Aug 28, 2010 11:49 am

Yeah, I think its fair because the person in the game may be saving a spot for a friend who has either gone on brb or had glitched or even crashed..... It wouldnt be fair if people didnt ask politely like to say "Please leave saving spots" and they came out with "leave" instead.....
Alpha of the Black Bloods, known as Adeodatus on Wikifoundry. Currently leading Winter Skies.
If you wish to join, please drop me a message and I'll run through the application needed. Thank you!

Yellowie100
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf

Post by Yellowie100 » Sat Aug 28, 2010 12:06 pm

And another reason why Saving Spots is bad is because so,me people may tell you to leave because they want to do bad stuff such as "mating" and cursing and other things that could get Wolfquest in trouble
SHEEP<3

wolfoflegend
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by wolfoflegend » Sat Aug 28, 2010 12:14 pm

I remember a time where i actually decided to let someone stay in my game even though i was saving a spot. I felt bad for them cause they came in like this:

Me: Can you please leave? im saving a spot for someone
Another player: yeah, saving spot
Wolf: Aww, come on this is the third chat i have been kicked out of.
Wolf: Nevermind ill leave.
Me:Im sorry, but im saving a spot for a friend.
Wolf: How soon are they coming back?
Me: They crashed they are coming right back.
Wolf: Ok,... well sorry for the trouble.
Another player: ...
Another player: he can stay i have to get off anyway.
Me: wait!
Me: he can stay, but you dont leave!
Another player: lol, ok
Wolf: Are you sure, i dont want to be any trouble
Mde: No, its ok, its fine.
Wolf: Ok
But anyway we had a good time playing. I remember another time i went into a game that said "No One Alowed" and the person wanted me to leave. I told them they spelled to game name wrong and helped them fix it, but in the end i left. lol.
"I have been abandoned by death for it has cursed me to live."

"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift. That is why it is called the present."

Return to “General WolfQuest Discussion”