"Saving Spots" - Your opinion?

Discuss WolfQuest (the game, forum, etc.).

Moderators: Neamara, paperpaws, Frodo1

Jobomba
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri Dec 26, 2008 1:20 pm
Gender: Female
Location: Dallas, Texas

Re: "Saving Spots" - Your opinion?

Post by Jobomba » Fri Aug 20, 2010 10:12 am

I, honestly, don't mind saving spots or being told to leave. Although, it depends on the manner of which I'm told to leave. Usually, the only reason I might save a spot for someone, if you could call it saving a spot, would be because they crashed, or something in that manner. :) I've only been told to leave once, and it wasn't nice at all. I don't try to be mean if someone joins my open player game and one of my friends suddenly crashed. I'll usually just ask the person, "If they could please leave?" or "My friend crashed, and she might come back, I'm sorry." I believe if you ask in that manner and apologize for the new person's inconvenience of having to leave, that the person being asked to leave should oblige. The reason I think the person being asked to leave should leave if asked in a nice manner and apologized, is because (in my case at least) in some cases the chat might say, "PeopleIKnowOnly". In that case, if I don't know you, you really shouldn't be in my spot. Although, if I have some of my known friends on, I wouldn't mind a random person coming on, I'd just assume that they're the only friends of mine on. If a person has opened a chat called, "AnyoneCome" or anything like that, and they ask someone who just got on to leave in a rude manner, or for no reason, there shouldn't be any reason for the person to leave. What I'm trying to say :D is that a person should only be asked to leave if a friend has suddenly crashed, and if you are asked to leave in a rude manner, report them. Other than that, there should be no reason to ask someone to leave.
devstar: this is the fastest i can go... (really slow ^^)
jobomba: i tried to help, but it didnt exactly work out...
devstar: must bite... slow the bull down
jobomba: okays
devstar: my dieing words are... save me some meat

User avatar
Kivia
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 5618
Joined: Sat Jan 31, 2009 4:10 pm
Gender: Female
Location: Northern California
Contact:

Re: "Saving Spots" - Your opinion?

Post by Kivia » Fri Aug 20, 2010 10:29 am

People who are saving spots are often the ones I catch that begin to attempt to curse at me. Now you can try to save spots in an Open game, but you really can't since it's an Open game. Anyone can join, and they don't have to leave. So what I often do is go into games called something along the lines of 'FriendsONLY' and just sit there; sometimes they'll just ignore me, sometimes they'll tell me to leave but then give up, and sometimes they'll start pretty much yelling at me to get out. Yeah, I know it seems rude of me to refuse to leave the game even when they ask nicely, but that's what Private games are for; Open games are for everyone, and I often have to explain that to folks who are saving spots. =3

User avatar
RoarOriole
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 1058
Joined: Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:55 pm
Location: Michigan
Contact:

Re: "Saving Spots" - Your opinion?

Post by RoarOriole » Fri Aug 20, 2010 2:13 pm

I'm a fence sitter sipping Coca Cola nonchalantly on this one. I honestly don't mind it if they ask nicely, but if they demand me to or do the "please leave" thing then I refuse to. I think I've done what Kivia does several times.

When I used to make games I often reminded people that "it's an open game, anyone can join. Private games are made for that sort of thing."

I tend to get irritated at it a bit, sometimes, but I normally don't mind it. I normally dislike it when I go into ten chats and they ask me to leave. :/ That's when I don't like it.
I like discussing deep things, playing video games, and mentally torturing myself by studying C# even though I'm not a math person.

User avatar
Granger
Former WQ Moderator
Posts: 869
Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2010 5:05 pm
Name: Shelby
Gender: Female
Location: Florida

Re: "Saving Spots" - Your opinion?

Post by Granger » Fri Aug 20, 2010 8:26 pm

I only save spots on occasions where the person says something along the lines of "Im crashing, please save my spot. " If they ask nicely as shown, I will save their spot, and if some one comes in, i simply say "Im saving a spot for my freind that crashed. Im sorry, but can you leave?" and it ends like that. The person usually says "Okay" and logs off. But if they crash or something i usually wont save the spot. Usually people remember to be nice when i log on and they are saving a spot so. . . *shrug*
Whatever HTML you'd like to see here.. Envision it. Flowery quote and hex codes and all.

User avatar
Whippersnapper
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training
Posts: 226
Joined: Fri Jul 30, 2010 2:12 pm
Gender: Female
Location: (ノ゚ω゚)ノ

Re: "Saving Spots" - Your opinion?

Post by Whippersnapper » Fri Aug 20, 2010 8:53 pm

Eh, my feelings are mutual really, pretty much on the same track as the rest of you.

Generally it annoy's me if I try to enter a game [Eh, if I even go on MP. I hardly do anymore] and someone asks/demands that I leave, but if they ask nicely and provide a sensible reason; I'll leave without complaint. It annoys me still, yes, as the whole concept of Open Games is for anyone to join, but I'm not the one to start up an argument; I'm the one to get in the thick of things. :3

If they Demand I leave or start with the 'Please Leave'; I refuse. Sure, 'please leave' could be considered on the same basics as being kind, but it just ticks me off so much that I won't leave. Really I don't care if I annoy or offend anyone; go to a Private Game if you so badly want to chat with someone. Eh, I know it sounds pretty stupid, but sometimes I'll go in a Open Game and just sit there, waiting for someone to start being rude enough to report them. :3 I'm helpful, no?

So in general, I really don't care as long as people are asking nicely and they arn't attempting to cuss me out.
................Whip

My original voice is thrown
Why won't the voices let me speak for my own?
On the outside I'm grinning like a Cheshire Cat
But on the inside I'm being tormented like a traumatized rat


...........Avatar (c) Koa

Yellowie100
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf
Posts: 895
Joined: Sun Mar 07, 2010 12:42 pm
Gender: Female
Location: Watching Anime with Hestia :DDD

Re: "Saving Spots" - Your opinion?

Post by Yellowie100 » Sat Aug 21, 2010 1:04 pm

Whippersnapper wrote:
If they Demand I leave or start with the 'Please Leave'; I refuse. Sure, 'please leave' could be considered on the same basics as being kind, but it just ticks me off so much that I won't leave. Really I don't care if I annoy or offend anyone; go to a Private Game if you so badly want to chat with someone. Eh, I know it sounds pretty stupid, but sometimes I'll go in a Open Game and just sit there, waiting for someone to start being rude enough to report them. :3 I'm helpful, no?
That's mean! You're waiting until they're mean and rude just to report them? In my opinion, we shouldn't have to go into some private game just to talk to our friends! I agree with saving spots. Maybe we don't WANT our games to be private. I'm pretty sure no one wants to enter a password just to see their pals. >.<
SHEEP<3

User avatar
Whippersnapper
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training
Posts: 226
Joined: Fri Jul 30, 2010 2:12 pm
Gender: Female
Location: (ノ゚ω゚)ノ

Re: "Saving Spots" - Your opinion?

Post by Whippersnapper » Sat Aug 21, 2010 1:16 pm

Whitewolf700 wrote:
Whippersnapper wrote:
If they Demand I leave or start with the 'Please Leave'; I refuse. Sure, 'please leave' could be considered on the same basics as being kind, but it just ticks me off so much that I won't leave. Really I don't care if I annoy or offend anyone; go to a Private Game if you so badly want to chat with someone. Eh, I know it sounds pretty stupid, but sometimes I'll go in a Open Game and just sit there, waiting for someone to start being rude enough to report them. :3 I'm helpful, no?
That's mean! You're waiting until they're mean and rude just to report them? In my opinion, we shouldn't have to go into some private game just to talk to our friends! I agree with saving spots. Maybe we don't WANT our games to be private. I'm pretty sure no one wants to enter a password just to see their pals. >.<
So your telling me that I'm the mean one when people are attempting to cuss me out? I've stated that I'll leave if someone asks nicely and provides me with a sensible reason. Besides, the whole point of Open Games is for anyone to join. Wither you want your games private our not, anyone can join & no one can force them to leave.
................Whip

My original voice is thrown
Why won't the voices let me speak for my own?
On the outside I'm grinning like a Cheshire Cat
But on the inside I'm being tormented like a traumatized rat


...........Avatar (c) Koa

User avatar
Jayness
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf
Posts: 615
Joined: Sat Aug 07, 2010 6:48 pm
Location: This awesome new place called Earth

Re: "Saving Spots" - Your opinion?

Post by Jayness » Sat Aug 21, 2010 2:58 pm

Whippersnapper wrote:
Whitewolf700 wrote:
Whippersnapper wrote:
If they Demand I leave or start with the 'Please Leave'; I refuse. Sure, 'please leave' could be considered on the same basics as being kind, but it just ticks me off so much that I won't leave. Really I don't care if I annoy or offend anyone; go to a Private Game if you so badly want to chat with someone. Eh, I know it sounds pretty stupid, but sometimes I'll go in a Open Game and just sit there, waiting for someone to start being rude enough to report them. :3 I'm helpful, no?
That's mean! You're waiting until they're mean and rude just to report them? In my opinion, we shouldn't have to go into some private game just to talk to our friends! I agree with saving spots. Maybe we don't WANT our games to be private. I'm pretty sure no one wants to enter a password just to see their pals. >.<
So your telling me that I'm the mean one when people are attempting to cuss me out? I've stated that I'll leave if someone asks nicely and provides me with a sensible reason. Besides, the whole point of Open Games is for anyone to join. Wither you want your games private our not, anyone can join & no one can force them to leave.
I agree, sometimes I just stay there on purpose and make them irratated and tell them that they can't make me leave.
In my opinion saving spots is pointless.
..................αsριηε
......ωσℓfqυεsт cσммυηιтy мεмвεя

..Why run if you're already skinny?

Previously Aspine
──────────────────────────────

Atropine
Former WQ Moderator
Posts: 1574
Joined: Sun Mar 07, 2010 2:23 pm
Gender: Female
Location: District 12
Contact:

Re: "Saving Spots" - Your opinion?

Post by Atropine » Sat Aug 21, 2010 3:10 pm

Whitewolf700 wrote:That's mean! You're waiting until they're mean and rude just to report them? In my opinion, we shouldn't have to go into some private game just to talk to our friends! I agree with saving spots. Maybe we don't WANT our games to be private. I'm pretty sure no one wants to enter a password just to see their pals. >.<
Private games aren't really meant for the purpose to be "private"; they are made for the exact purpose you have stated, to talk to your friends without other members coming into your chat. :) Personally, I don't really see the hassle in entering a password... is it really such a big deal? I'm not really getting your point; by saving spots and kicking people out of your game, it will be exactly the same as a private game since only your friends will be there. If you ask someone to leave and they refuse to, then I believe you have to accept it - they have every right to be there =D
Avatar by Jewelz

User avatar
Jayness
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf
Posts: 615
Joined: Sat Aug 07, 2010 6:48 pm
Location: This awesome new place called Earth

Re: "Saving Spots" - Your opinion?

Post by Jayness » Sat Aug 21, 2010 3:13 pm

Usually, I only play private games because of all the disgusting people on multiplayer.
I hope that phrased chat will discourage them.
..................αsριηε
......ωσℓfqυεsт cσммυηιтy мεмвεя

..Why run if you're already skinny?

Previously Aspine
──────────────────────────────

User avatar
Whippersnapper
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training
Posts: 226
Joined: Fri Jul 30, 2010 2:12 pm
Gender: Female
Location: (ノ゚ω゚)ノ

Re: "Saving Spots" - Your opinion?

Post by Whippersnapper » Sat Aug 21, 2010 3:17 pm

Aspine wrote:Usually, I only play private games because of all the disgusting people on multiplayer.
I hope that phrased chat will discourage them.
>_> I agree here, I usually only go on Open Games very rarely. A canned chat would suffice very nicely; as if I care what the rude, disgusting people think.
Some people seem to think that all WolfQuest is is a chatroom, & a profanity welcomed chat room at that. What they don't understand is that WolfQuest was made as an educational site & game, not a place for you to Roleplay as Warrior Cats or Vampires. ;o;

Ahem.

But as I've said, my thoughts on saving spots; ajvbsiv.
................Whip

My original voice is thrown
Why won't the voices let me speak for my own?
On the outside I'm grinning like a Cheshire Cat
But on the inside I'm being tormented like a traumatized rat


...........Avatar (c) Koa

Adalae
Former WQ Moderator
Posts: 3879
Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2009 2:06 pm
Location: tasselled wobbegong
Contact:

Re: "Saving Spots" - Your opinion?

Post by Adalae » Sat Aug 21, 2010 3:51 pm

Hmm.

I'm not in favor of saving spots in public games. Private games are pretty much used for this purpose; to be private and be able to "hold spots". If you would like to hold spots, simply create a game with a password and give the people the password in my opinion. I think it's better for everyone that way instead of making public games for it because it causes less arguments if they're told to leave (whether rudely or not).

It definitely irks me when I join a game (which isn't often anymore, unfortunately unless playing with friends xD) that you're told to leave because the spot is being held for others. I understand if the game crashed and the owner of the game created a new one, but even so there isn't a real chance everyone will rejoin. If it were me I would just allow anyone to join after that.
"Its not one of those things you can fix like you fix your bow tie.
.......... Dont give me those big wet eyes, Raggedy Man."

http://tinyurl.com/thefourclans

User avatar
happylolzgirl
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf
Posts: 574
Joined: Fri May 14, 2010 3:50 pm
Gender: Female
Location: Nomming on something.

Re: "Saving Spots" - Your opinion?

Post by happylolzgirl » Sat Aug 21, 2010 4:20 pm

[
So your telling me that I'm the mean one when people are attempting to cuss me out? I've stated that I'll leave if someone asks nicely and provides me with a sensible reason. Besides, the whole point of Open Games is for anyone to join. Wither you want your games private our not, anyone can join & no one can force them to leave.

No, I agree that people should be able to join, but it is not right to press their buttons so you can report them...btw, the ones who see when you report someone, aren't going to care about someone asking you to leave. I reported someone once for not leaving and they didnt care.
Do you have a problem? I have a gun. I'll shoot you. No problem.-Billy Joe Armstrong

I am a ninja.
No your not.
Did you see me do that?
What?
Exactly.

Die hard Greenday and Edgar Allan Poe fan.
I support the Alliance

Avvie by LupinzPack

Post Reply

Return to “General WolfQuest Discussion”