Teen Pup for Tower Fall

Archived news, updates, discussions, polls and teasers shown during stages of development.
Locked
User avatar
Noella
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 678
Joined: Thu May 15, 2014 5:40 pm
Name: Amber
Gender: Female
Location: Arizona, USA
Contact:

Re: Teen Pup for Tower Fall

Post by Noella » Sat Jul 29, 2017 12:34 pm

Will the teens show more color variation as they would when taking genes from both parents? Or would they show a color slightly between the two adults? Or filter to one of the coat option closest to both parents?

Ex. A black male and white female resulting in a grey teen.

User avatar
loboLoco
WolfQuest Team Member
WolfQuest Team Member
Posts: 2645
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2007 4:51 pm
Gender: Male
Contact:

Re: Teen Pup for Tower Fall

Post by loboLoco » Sat Jul 29, 2017 2:13 pm

Chasing Moonlight wrote:Will the teens show more color variation as they would when taking genes from both parents? Or would they show a color slightly between the two adults? Or filter to one of the coat option closest to both parents?

Ex. A black male and white female resulting in a grey teen.
That's not how genetics works. We currently have a pretty simplified genetics model and we may improve it, but that would move it even further away from the "mixing paint colors" idea.
Dave/loboLoco
WolfQuest Game Producer

User avatar
PearlyReborn
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month
Posts: 277
Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2016 3:22 pm
Name: Meg
Gender: Female
Location: Nuvema Town

Re: Teen Pup for Tower Fall

Post by PearlyReborn » Sat Jul 29, 2017 2:19 pm

loboLoco wrote:
Chasing Moonlight wrote:Will the teens show more color variation as they would when taking genes from both parents? Or would they show a color slightly between the two adults? Or filter to one of the coat option closest to both parents?

Ex. A black male and white female resulting in a grey teen.
That's not how genetics works. We currently have a pretty simplified genetics model and we may improve it, but that would move it even further away from the "mixing paint colors" idea.
All I ask is that you don't change the golden puppy that results from the solid grey Blacktail Deer Plateau coat.

User avatar
Phasoli
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf
Posts: 619
Joined: Sat Jun 20, 2015 5:23 pm
Name: Call me Tsuri!
Gender: Female
Location: Photosynthesizing with the beans in the backyard

Re: Teen Pup for Tower Fall

Post by Phasoli » Sat Jul 29, 2017 2:52 pm

I'm curious to see what the "Albino" pup will grow into. With the addition of new eye-colours, It would also be interesting to see how the inheritance of eye coloration works out as well.

User avatar
PearlyReborn
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month
Posts: 277
Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2016 3:22 pm
Name: Meg
Gender: Female
Location: Nuvema Town

Re: Teen Pup for Tower Fall

Post by PearlyReborn » Sat Jul 29, 2017 2:57 pm

Phasoli wrote:I'm curious to see what the "Albino" pup will grow into. With the addition of new eye-colours, It would also be interesting to see how the inheritance of eye coloration works out as well.
Yeah, the white pup is gonna be an interesting case.

User avatar
SheWolf17
Pup
Pup
Posts: 82
Joined: Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:01 pm
Name: SheWolf
Gender: Female
Location: Brazil

Re: Teen Pup for Tower Fall

Post by SheWolf17 » Sat Jul 29, 2017 3:13 pm

PearlyReborn wrote:
Phasoli wrote:I'm curious to see what the "Albino" pup will grow into. With the addition of new eye-colours, It would also be interesting to see how the inheritance of eye coloration works out as well.
Yeah, the white pup is gonna be an interesting case.
Will the white puppy be added too? Of course, with the experience points?

amethystrose
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training
Posts: 217
Joined: Thu May 12, 2011 2:15 pm
Name: Hypnotic
Gender: Female
Location: Maine, US

Re: Teen Pup for Tower Fall

Post by amethystrose » Sun Jul 30, 2017 8:55 am

That is truly fascinating! A pup much older than it's younger self. I'm very excited to see how that comes along as Episode 3 progresses more! :D

User avatar
interlunar
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf
Posts: 11
Joined: Tue Jul 11, 2017 4:56 pm
Gender: Female

Re: Teen Pup for Tower Fall

Post by interlunar » Mon Jul 31, 2017 12:29 pm

I read that wolf puppies can eat meat when they're 2 months old, does this mean the pups in Tower Fall will be able to eat from elk carcasses when they follow you on hunting trips?

User avatar
Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator
Posts: 12882
Joined: Wed Jul 23, 2008 3:53 pm
Gender: Female
Contact:

Re: Teen Pup for Tower Fall

Post by Koa » Mon Jul 31, 2017 1:11 pm

interlunar wrote:I read that wolf puppies can eat meat when they're 2 months old, does this mean the pups in Tower Fall will be able to eat from elk carcasses when they follow you on hunting trips?
Wolf pups actually start eating meat via regurgitation around three weeks of age. (http://www.wolf.org/wolf-info/wild-kids/wolf-families/)

Yes, will be able to eat solid meat by the age of three months. Read under "The Familial Hunting School", pages 51-52 of Wolves: Behavior, Ecology and Conservation for more information.
https://books.google.com/books?id=_mXHu ... on&f=false
YOU SAY YOU WANT TO GET BETTER AND YOU DON'T KNOW HOW.

User avatar
interlunar
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf
Posts: 11
Joined: Tue Jul 11, 2017 4:56 pm
Gender: Female

Re: Teen Pup for Tower Fall

Post by interlunar » Mon Jul 31, 2017 3:29 pm

Thanks Koa!! I have another question about the Tower Fall pups. At what age will they be immune to coyotes and eagles?

User avatar
Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator
Posts: 12882
Joined: Wed Jul 23, 2008 3:53 pm
Gender: Female
Contact:

Re: Teen Pup for Tower Fall

Post by Koa » Mon Jul 31, 2017 4:16 pm

interlunar wrote:Thanks Koa!! I have another question about the Tower Fall pups. At what age will they be immune to coyotes and eagles?
Pups from 8-16 weeks of age will weigh 22-30 lbs. To put that into perspective, adult coyotes in Yellowstone weigh about 25-35 lbs.Golden eagles have been known to attack and kill adult coyotes, so I wouldn't say the pups of Tower Fall will be "immune" to golden eagle attacks, but I am not sure how Dave and the rest of the development team will address that, if at all. Considering the similarities in weight between juvenile wolf pups and adult coyotes, I'm not as confident that a coyote would prey upon a juvenile wolf compared to a younger pup.
YOU SAY YOU WANT TO GET BETTER AND YOU DON'T KNOW HOW.

User avatar
interlunar
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf
Posts: 11
Joined: Tue Jul 11, 2017 4:56 pm
Gender: Female

Re: Teen Pup for Tower Fall

Post by interlunar » Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:36 am

Koa wrote:
interlunar wrote:Thanks Koa!! I have another question about the Tower Fall pups. At what age will they be immune to coyotes and eagles?
Pups from 8-16 weeks of age will weigh 22-30 lbs. To put that into perspective, adult coyotes in Yellowstone weigh about 25-35 lbs.Golden eagles have been known to attack and kill adult coyotes, so I wouldn't say the pups of Tower Fall will be "immune" to golden eagle attacks, but I am not sure how Dave and the rest of the development team will address that, if at all. Considering the similarities in weight between juvenile wolf pups and adult coyotes, I'm not as confident that a coyote would prey upon a juvenile wolf compared to a younger pup.
Are you sure eagles can prey on juvenile wolves? Golden eagles don't have the lifting power to carry a 22-30 lb wolf. In fact, while they have been recorded killing adult coyotes (and I'm not sure how common this even is) the only description I could find describes the eagle using his talons to kill the coyote on the ground. An eagle wouldn't risk a terrestrial attack on a young wolf if its parents are around, which we know will be the case since predators don't target your pups if you aren't present. I think the same goes for coyotes.

Also, will the older puppies be able to swim in deep water, or will they just walk across the shallow areas?

User avatar
Pepper
WolfQuest Team Member
WolfQuest Team Member
Posts: 383
Joined: Thu Dec 20, 2007 2:32 pm
Gender: Female
Location: Eduweb world headquarters
Contact:

Re: Teen Pup for Tower Fall

Post by Pepper » Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:11 am

interlunar wrote:
Koa wrote:
interlunar wrote:Thanks Koa!! I have another question about the Tower Fall pups. At what age will they be immune to coyotes and eagles?
Pups from 8-16 weeks of age will weigh 22-30 lbs. To put that into perspective, adult coyotes in Yellowstone weigh about 25-35 lbs.Golden eagles have been known to attack and kill adult coyotes, so I wouldn't say the pups of Tower Fall will be "immune" to golden eagle attacks, but I am not sure how Dave and the rest of the development team will address that, if at all. Considering the similarities in weight between juvenile wolf pups and adult coyotes, I'm not as confident that a coyote would prey upon a juvenile wolf compared to a younger pup.
Are you sure eagles can prey on juvenile wolves? Golden eagles don't have the lifting power to carry a 22-30 lb wolf. In fact, while they have been recorded killing adult coyotes (and I'm not sure how common this even is) the only description I could find describes the eagle using his talons to kill the coyote on the ground. An eagle wouldn't risk a terrestrial attack on a young wolf if its parents are around, which we know will be the case since predators don't target your pups if you aren't present. I think the same goes for coyotes.

Also, will the older puppies be able to swim in deep water, or will they just walk across the shallow areas?
These are interesting questions, for sure! We are busy researching and deciding what to include in terms of of the pups' evolving abilities, behaviors, and dangers. As always, we aim for the sweet spot between realism and fun gameplay.
Pepper
WolfQuest Team Member

Shake your glitter.

User avatar
Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator
Posts: 12882
Joined: Wed Jul 23, 2008 3:53 pm
Gender: Female
Contact:

Re: Teen Pup for Tower Fall

Post by Koa » Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:19 am

interlunar wrote:
Koa wrote:
interlunar wrote:Thanks Koa!! I have another question about the Tower Fall pups. At what age will they be immune to coyotes and eagles?
Pups from 8-16 weeks of age will weigh 22-30 lbs. To put that into perspective, adult coyotes in Yellowstone weigh about 25-35 lbs.Golden eagles have been known to attack and kill adult coyotes, so I wouldn't say the pups of Tower Fall will be "immune" to golden eagle attacks, but I am not sure how Dave and the rest of the development team will address that, if at all. Considering the similarities in weight between juvenile wolf pups and adult coyotes, I'm not as confident that a coyote would prey upon a juvenile wolf compared to a younger pup.
Are you sure eagles can prey on juvenile wolves? Golden eagles don't have the lifting power to carry a 22-30 lb wolf. In fact, while they have been recorded killing adult coyotes (and I'm not sure how common this even is) the only description I could find describes the eagle using his talons to kill the coyote on the ground. An eagle wouldn't risk a terrestrial attack on a young wolf if its parents are around, which we know will be the case since predators don't target your pups if you aren't present. I think the same goes for coyotes.
I never suggested a golden eagle would try to carry a juvenile wolf pup of 22-30 lbs.

My intent on providing the average weight of an adult coyote was to illustrate that, regardless of attack and kill method, a juvenile wolf pup would not be (your wording) immune to assault or death by a golden eagle. As you realized from reading about the case involving a coyote, there are other ways that golden eagles can attack and kill medium-sized mammals without having to carry them away. The question of whether or not an animal can, and has the physical capacity, to prey on something is different from "if" or "will."

As I said before, I am not sure how Dave and the team will address that (and the general "predator question"), if at all, given the change in the pup's size-- that includes the degree in which parental supervision will play a role in pup survival, which is why I also did not bring that up in my answer to you. I surely would think the existing predatory mechanic and method (death by carry) would change. But we'll have to wait for what the team decides to do. That's not something I can answer.
YOU SAY YOU WANT TO GET BETTER AND YOU DON'T KNOW HOW.

User avatar
interlunar
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf
Posts: 11
Joined: Tue Jul 11, 2017 4:56 pm
Gender: Female

Re: Teen Pup for Tower Fall

Post by interlunar » Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:39 am

Yes, I know! I meant immune in the game context, not real life. (As in, your pups in the game will no longer be targeted by the eagle.)

Anyway, I don't dispute the fact that an eagle can kill in several ways. My point was, since the eagle would be unable to carry the pup, it would have to attack on the ground, which is something an eagle would never risk if the pup is with it's parents. Even if it did succeed in fatally injuring the pup, it would be unable to feed on its carcass if the pack is present. So, an eagle attack in this case would serve the eagle no purpose and therefore would probably never happen in real life.

Locked

Return to “Developer's Blog Archive”