Ideas for Future Updates

Discuss WolfQuest (the game, forum, etc.).

Moderators: Neamara, Frodo1

DinoDogDude209
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Re: Ideas for New Episodes/Future Updates

Post by DinoDogDude209 » Fri Dec 31, 2021 12:35 pm

Doenut wrote:
Fri Dec 31, 2021 2:35 am
With the New Wolf Quest Saga I'd like to say.
Great work all the staff who helped develop the game from humble beginnings to now.

I'd like to see implemented a true wolf's experience in the Generations.

1: After wolves grow into yearlings and we as parents move to the next adventure, I think it'd be good if the screen fades to black after finishing raising your pups to get to the home screen. When you select your wolf again you spawn in the map you finished growing your pup.. but in Fall. With a random 1-3 young wolves that stayed behind and didn't disperse. This number would be random each year, giving it a realistic feeling that not all answered the "call of the wild" just yet.
Why> This would make our pack size a maximum of 5 like in multiplayer, but they're your kids. There would be a chance only 1 or NONE stayed behind. This would greatly change each year's experience and dynamically alter the lifespan of your wolf's story. Good years with a full pack, or slim years with just your mate.

2: Hunt in the fall with your kids "free roaming" to determine your pack's home location. Just like how there's a guiding star to show you to slough creek when you leave amethyst mountain. If each map in fall had star locations to select where to start pups would be great.
Why> It allows you to practice sometime with your pups as adults now, see what it's like to have a pack hunt together. Finally kill that bison or moose. Free roam until winter, enjoy having your pack with you, without having to play multiplayer to feel surrounded by friends. And then when your ready, travel to the star indicator to stay or leave. Thus starting at establishing territory in the new location or in the current one. Why wouldn't you have the same territory from last year? Development would be tricky, and wolves territories are organic, they shift. Gives you the chance to try a new spot on the same map too.

3. Raise your new litter with your kids helping you around the den. You must still "woof" your cubs into the den to hunt with the whole pack. But now you can see all the wolves walking around, engaging, playing, and the kids help mark territories. When you go to move dens, see your older kids on the sides of the convoy, helping guide the pups. See your kids chase off a predator or two. When you finally raise the litter to the 20lbs ending, return the stars to the map! Allow us to take everyone to a new map or stay there. When the pups reach the end of summer, all the oldest wolves will be gone by fall. And the new generation will decide to stay or go.
These are some really cool ideas! I hope there will still be an option to play as one of our offspring and start all over again, so we can start a new playthrough and play through the Saga all over again, continuing our previous wolf's legacy.
I think that would really increase the game's replay value quite a lot.

-Wolfdog-
Yearling
Yearling
Name: Wolf

Post by -Wolfdog- » Sat Jan 08, 2022 4:35 pm

I probably already suggested it around here somewhere.. but I miss that plane feature in 2.7 with the radio collar. Every so often, it'd be cool hearing a plane pass by, or seeing its lights blink across the night sky. I feel like it would give a small nod to researchers and it doesn't feel like our wolves are in complete isolation.
⍋ ⍋
ABNUS LUMI
🐺
🐾

solar-mutt
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by solar-mutt » Sun Jan 09, 2022 7:11 pm

I LOVE this game and I love the SAGA idea...and I also love Endless Summer! So here's my idea...
Endless autumn! If you want to stay with your other pups only, who can now hunt but aren't quite yearlings yet...you stay in Endless autumn instead of having another litter! You get a pop up just like at the end of establish territory... "move on to winter or stay here" and can choose to continue on from Endless autumn into the next winter to prepare for a new litter any time!

I'd also love the option to play as one of your grown pups in the pack when you die...instead of starting a new game continuing as a pup from that same pack and find a mate, continuing raising your younger siblings and watching your other parent get old or leave...but I'm sure this would be super hard and don't expect it to be possible.

If you read it all thanks so much!

-Wolfdog-
Yearling
Yearling

Post by -Wolfdog- » Tue Jan 11, 2022 4:35 pm

I would totally love an endless autumn, spring, and winter mode. As much as I'm excited for the SAGA update, I also really like keeping an only litter so being able to play in 1 stage permanently helps.
⍋ ⍋
ABNUS LUMI
🐺
🐾

NobodyWhoIsHere
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf
Name: Nobody

Post by NobodyWhoIsHere » Mon Jan 17, 2022 5:29 pm

I feel an episode in which you simply play as a pack member would be interesting. NPC work would get slightly complicated for this, but I also feel it would be a doable and realistic episode.

Let me explain. Some wolves, for one reason or another, don't leave their pack, or they replace one half of a breeding pair in another. My point being, it would make for interesting game play to have more specific missions. Maybe, in this episode, the location shifts periodically. Lets say you play as a wolf who follows their pack on search of food, and you contribute. Pretty much the pack's food depends on "you". It doesn't really, but it reflects your daily hunts. Plus, NPC's or large player servers taking down elk? Following realistic hunting behavior? I would buy it now if it existed.
“𝕃𝕠𝕧𝕖, 𝕟𝕠𝕥 𝕙𝕒𝕥𝕖, 𝕚𝕤 𝕥𝕙𝕖 𝕓𝕦𝕣𝕕𝕖𝕟 𝕨𝕖 𝕔𝕒𝕣𝕣𝕪. 𝔹𝕦𝕥 𝕥𝕙𝕒𝕥 𝕗𝕒𝕔𝕥 𝕞𝕒𝕜𝕖𝕤 𝕚𝕥 𝕟𝕠 𝕝𝕚𝕘𝕙𝕥𝕖𝕣.”
― ℕ𝕚𝕔𝕜 𝕁𝕒𝕟𝕤, 𝔸 𝕎𝕠𝕝𝕗 ℂ𝕒𝕝𝕝𝕖𝕕 ℝ𝕠𝕞𝕖𝕠

-Wolfdog-
Yearling
Yearling

Features I think should be added to 3.0

Post by -Wolfdog- » Thu Jan 20, 2022 3:17 pm

Hi everyone, I'll be composing a list of suggestions that I think are pretty cool.
  • Seasonal coats should be a thing on all mammals, or at least where the difference is the most pronounced. The animals who would greatly benefit from a seasonal coat would be elk, mule deer, moose, wolves, coyotes and more creatures. In my opinion, coyotes' coats are far too thin for the wintertime, and mule deer have brighter summer coats.
  • Bears should be observed hunting fish in the Lamar river as well as streams and lakes.
[edit]
Why was my post merged lol it'll get lost in the thread.
Last edited by -Wolfdog- on Sun Jan 23, 2022 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
⍋ ⍋
ABNUS LUMI
🐺
🐾

solar-mutt
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by solar-mutt » Fri Jan 21, 2022 5:39 pm

It'd be so cool if the game remembered what pack your player wolf parent's mate was from, and set diversity accordingly. For example I make a new wolf and get a mate from the Hayden pack. I later play as one of our pups...Hayden wolves should have low stars :)
  • POST MERGE
I think it'd be cool if you could join NPC packs. For example you could join the Wapiti pack and raise pups from the breeding pair there or join with a wolf who lost their mate and help them raise their existing pups until next breeding season. I think this might be hard to do for programming though considering the game has always centered around the player wolf being an "alpha" and starting their own pack.
Last edited by Neamara on Sun Jan 23, 2022 2:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Merged double post in accordance with the forum guidelines.

-Wolfdog-
Yearling
Yearling

Re: Ideas for New Episodes V2

Post by -Wolfdog- » Tue Jan 25, 2022 11:10 am

roguemoon wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2015 12:37 pm
Nice to have this topic up now :) I have a few ideas that would be nice for future games that I've thought about.

- Make ravens more useful in finding food. For example, ravens would fly overhead in the direction of a carcass, circle carcasses and even land to hop around and peck at them possibly? Perhaps even fluttering back into the air if you run at the carcass. It would also be neat to have ravens following you from high above while you hunt, and then landing around your kill as ravens do this irl. I think the ravens, while a neat idea at first, are outdated now and not very helpful. Even just improving the raven animations in game would be nice.

- Bears will try to fight you for a carcass. You have to decide if it's worth risking injury to protect a meal. Bears will be less likely to challenge you in a pack. Perhaps even a group of two or more coyotes would try to challenge you for a carcass while you are a lone wolf?

- Give large prey a stamina bar. Once their stamina drains enough, they would take more damage from a bite. This would make hunting more realistic, since wolves do chase down their prey to exhaust them and make the take down easier.

- Add deer and increase the number of hares in AM. It isn't very realistic that a lone wolf would be able to take down an elk alone, so until you find a mate you'd rely mainly on deer, small animals and scavenging to feed yourself. Once you have a mate, you have a better chance of taking down an elk. As a pack, you can take down stronger elk without much trouble, even bulls. As much as I love the game, it just feels unrealistic for you as a loner to be able to take down elk with relative ease.

- Instead of just biting until the animal dies, you actually have to drag the animal down and kill it. Not sure exactly how this would work but perhaps when the health drops to zero, you'd have to bite and hold for a certain amount of time to drag it down? I think this would just add another level of challenge and realism to hunting and make it a little more exciting.

- Add bison. I think having new large prey options would be nice and add more excitement. Bison would of course have to be very strong, only possible to take down in packs. But they would be slower.
Your wishes have come true. Literally all of this has been added to the the AE it's funny lol
⍋ ⍋
ABNUS LUMI
🐺
🐾

solar-mutt
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by solar-mutt » Sun Jan 30, 2022 1:54 pm

HOWLING! I think a bit more should be added for howling.
1) more dynamic secondary howls. Secondary howls should also be able to raise claim and mark carcasses. It's still a howl after all!
2) mate howls. I think if your mate hunts by themself and eats something they should be able to howl and mark that carcass for you to go find.

NellieBee
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by NellieBee » Tue Feb 01, 2022 12:55 pm

So i dont know if this is in the game or not i havnt played in awhile. But challengers, normally when your in the finding a mate stage more then one dispersal comes your way. Doesnt males normally fight for the female ? It would add to the realism i think, if your wold is a male you would go and seak out females and you wouldn't be the only one and would have to challenge other competitors for said dispersal females. I dont know how this would work for those who choose a female wolf but i have seen ai wolves fight each-other before so i guess it would be possible if multiple male dispersal wolves found a a female (your character) they would duke it out and the smartest/strongest would win. And depending on diversity there after you can decide to court with the winning contester or seek out new ones?

Arthur_
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by Arthur_ » Fri Feb 18, 2022 8:34 am

Hey! So an idea for future updates! Multiplayer with pups ages up your wolf? I just think it would be cool if you play with the same people regular that you can age your wolves together! This would probably mean the mate to that would would have to age up as well but I think it would be a cool idea

solar-mutt
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by solar-mutt » Sat Feb 19, 2022 4:37 pm

I think it'd be a neat little thing to be able to have manuel family trees. Like two of your personal wolves who don't have parents listed (aka you made them, they're not grown pups) you can mark them down as siblings or something! Just a cute idea not sure how realistic though

-Wolfdog-
Yearling
Yearling

Post by -Wolfdog- » Sat Feb 19, 2022 5:19 pm

There should be some sort of tip or tutorial where carcasses attract predators— this is bad news when raising pups. In multiplayer I've seen players have carcasses near the den for convenience, only for there to be a swarm of predators soon after, causing them to have a change in plans and go after your pups instead.

That behavior doesn't make a whole lot of sense, why would a predator risk getting killed or maimed trying to snatch a tiny pup, when they could easily feast on an elk carcass. The risk vs reward just doesn't match up. Some predators like grizzlies appear to only go after pups as a source of food.

Either there should be some sort of tip/warning, or the predator's behavior should be altered where not every single bear, cougar, coyote, etc is out to kill your pups. Sometimes they just want to eat the carcass. For instance, if a coyote is heading towards a carcass, their pathfinding should continue to redirect them to their intended destination, whether that be a carcass or pups. This already exists with the Golden Eagle. They'll eat a hare carcass right next to your pups yet won't attack.

Also, fleas should have more serious consequences and increase the chances of sickness by transferring deadly pathogens to pups such as Lyme. Coupled with the fact that pups are more likely to exit the den, this makes fleas a more sinister threat. Perhaps this could increase the chances of pups falling ill by 15%, and runts would be more several effected considering they're usually the weakest. Fleas are a parasite, after all, and sickness right now seems to happen at random. If this feature were added it would give players more control over their pup's sickness rates.

And finally, it would be a nice touch to list the siblings of your wolf or mate as apart of the family tree. Aka including uncles and aunts. I'm not too sure on this idea, but maybe the player could choose to list their natal (birth) pack origin. They could select (pack name) (unknown) or (dispersal).
The packs would obviously have to be from outside of AM or SC, otherwise you'd have your own family attacking you.. and uh, courting too. Which is weird. An example could be in the family tree. It would list your mate's Pack origin and your pack origin (Bechler, heart lake, cougar creek) etc

[edit]
One more thing— wolves' ages should be extended past the age of 8. While it's possible to surpass the age of 8, it normally requires a ridiculous amount of patience and never sleeping. I'd suggest that the age of 8 shouldn't automatically be the cut off age. But rather each time a wolf advances past the age of 8 the chances of them dying increase by about 20% each time, and age 12 being the cut off, since to my knowledge, no wild wolves past the age of 12 have survived long enough. But for age 8 to be the highest age (without finding loopholes within the games system), is kind of short, and we should take into account the wide variation in wild wolf lifespans. https://defenders.org/blog/2020/10/life ... ldest-wolf Here is a wild 12 year old wolf.
Also, White Lady is another old wolf who lived until she was 12 years old. I think this is common enough where players have a chance at obtaining this age through normal methods of gameplay, but it should be rare enough where only a portion of players' wolves have reached the maximum age, in which case they should unlock an achievement.
⍋ ⍋
ABNUS LUMI
🐺
🐾

DinoDogDude209
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by DinoDogDude209 » Tue Mar 01, 2022 8:09 pm

-Wolfdog- wrote:
Sat Feb 19, 2022 5:19 pm

[edit]
One more thing— wolves' ages should be extended past the age of 8. While it's possible to surpass the age of 8, it normally requires a ridiculous amount of patience and never sleeping. I'd suggest that the age of 8 shouldn't automatically be the cut off age. But rather each time a wolf advances past the age of 8 the chances of them dying increase by about 20% each time, and age 12 being the cut off, since to my knowledge, no wild wolves past the age of 12 have survived long enough. But for age 8 to be the highest age (without finding loopholes within the games system), is kind of short, and we should take into account the wide variation in wild wolf lifespans. https://defenders.org/blog/2020/10/life ... ldest-wolf Here is a wild 12 year old wolf.
Also, White Lady is another old wolf who lived until she was 12 years old. I think this is common enough where players have a chance at obtaining this age through normal methods of gameplay, but it should be rare enough where only a portion of players' wolves have reached the maximum age, in which case they should unlock an achievement.
I really like this idea. I always thought it seemed a bit arbitrary to have age 8 always be the cut off date. Just because the age of eight is quite old for a wolf, it doesn't mean that every wolf in WolfQuest should die at that age, and I agree that the game should try to portray the wide variation in wolf lifespans.

Perhaps at age 8, your wolf would have a 20% chance of dying during that year, which would increase by 20% every time you age up after reaching age 8. So age 9 would have a 40% chance of dying during that year, age 10 would have a 60% chance of dying that year, age 11 would have an 80% chance of dying that year, and age 12 would have a 100% chance of death because no wild wolf (that I know of) has survived longer than that. Perhaps by reaching age 12 and choosing the peaceful death option, players could earn a special achievement, and maybe such an achievement could be called "A Very Old Wolf Indeed".

Ideally, the game would track the highest age a player has reached with any wolf in that player's account settings, just like how progress for certain achievements are tracked. This would allow players to compare their "highest age reached" with those of their friends, which could also encourage players to play through the game again to see if they can beat their previous personal best.

Maybe there could even be a special reward for getting a wolf to age 12, like an unlockable customization option or something like that. I think that would also help to increase the replay value of the game just in general. The way I see it, anything that encourages WolfQuest players to continue playing the game would be beneficial. Personally, I really love it when a game gives me more reasons to continue playing and enjoying it, as it increases how much time I can play a game without getting bored of it.

solar-mutt
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by solar-mutt » Tue Mar 01, 2022 9:21 pm

-Wolfdog- wrote:
Sat Feb 19, 2022 5:19 pm

[edit]
I absolutely adore this idea. It not only adds realism to the game, it would give playing elder wolves a more mysterious feel. How much longer do you have left to live? A month? A year? Two years? Four?

This would make each wolf's ending of life more unique, and definitely make saga gameplay more emersive, as you could die any time of the year between ages 8-12 of old age. You might not even have to worry about leaving young pups behind; they might be old enough to hunt with your mate or older pups by then.

Plus it makes more sense for the elder wolf range to be more than a year. Instead of only 8 year old wolves being elders, wolves of anywhere within that 5 year range are elders.
Like others have said this would definitely increase replayability and storytelling. It would give each wolf more variety.

To avoid wolves getting past age 12, as some people can get past age 8 by simply not sleeping or resting (aka simply not dying), before the breeding season/winter in your twelth year, a few months before your wolf would turn 13, death is forced. You maybe have 5-10 real minutes to find a spot you want to die in before death is forced, like sleep in multiplayer. A random death would be applied here if the player does not innitate death. This or you may have a preminition or popup that says something along the lines of, "your wolf will die within three in-game days."

(edit; in addition or pre-saga, this could also mean that you cannot create a new game with 12 year old wolves, to prevent players from forcing up to 13 or further.)

This could even open up more room for elder-specific age perks, or even the opposite; age hinderances or inhibitors, which become randomly applied at any point during elderhood. For example you forget where some dens are as your memory fails you in your old age.

Getting up to age 12 is something i'd love to see in this game. Seems perfect!

Return to “General WolfQuest Discussion”