The Wolverines of Hellroaring Mountain

Find out what we're doing and thinking as we develop WolfQuest 3: Anniversary Edition and the Tower Fall expansion!

Moderators: Neamara, Koa

loboLoco
WolfQuest Team Member
WolfQuest Team Member

The Wolverines of Hellroaring Mountain

Post by loboLoco » Thu Mar 07, 2024 12:29 pm

That's right -- we're talking about wolverines today! Of all the animals we've wanted to add to the game, wolverines have been one of our favorites. Wolverines are notoriously fierce and feisty -- with their formidable claws and jaws, they can and do take on larger and more powerful animals. The problem has been that they don't really live in Yellowstone National Park. A survey in 2009 found a few wolverines in only two areas of the park: the southeast and one area of the northern border -- which, as it turns out, is where our upcoming Hellroaring Mountain DLC map is located! So we took this opportunity to add wolverines to the game, only on this new map.

Wolverines will put up a heck of a fight if you challenge them over a carcass. And they've got some new moves you haven't seen before (thanks to animator Zoltán Záhorszki, who created all of the wolverine's animations). Get a sneak peek at our wolverines in today's devblog!

Get a sneak peek at our wolverines in today's devblog!

The WolfQuest saga will continue! Stay tuned for more news in upcoming devblogs about it and other new features!

Once the game is completed on PC/Mac, we will consider porting the game to other platforms.

We do not announce specific release dates. We will release them when they are ready.
Dave/loboLoco
WolfQuest Game Producer

DinoDogDude209
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Re: The Wolverines of Hellroaring Mountain

Post by DinoDogDude209 » Sat Mar 09, 2024 12:30 pm

Wow! I have to say, I was not expecting to see this species in the game, but that makes this a pleasant surprise! The inclusion of Wolverines as a new, rare small predator will definitely be a neat aspect of the new Hellroaring Mountain map, and will set it apart from all the other Yellowstone maps. The lack of beavers will also set this map apart from the other Yellowstone maps. I love it when different animal or plant species can be found in different maps, that makes each map feel like a new and different environment.

I hope that Wolverines will be added to the modern Lost River map too, because there's definitely some remote wilderness areas (mainly in the northern areas of the map) where I can imagine Wolverines roaming as well. It would also just add to the unique nature of Lost River if it were the only map where both Beavers and Wolverines can be found. Lost River is a fictional map anyway, so basically anything can be included there. But that's just my opinion of course.

I'm also hopeful that the addition of the Wolverine might open the door for more small animals in the game in the future. If Ground Squirrels are ever added (might be difficult to add because of burrowing mechanics, but still would be interesting) then Badgers, which are very similar to Wolverines, would be a great addition to the game as a new small competitor.