v1.1.1 in Public Beta with Persistent Packs

Find out what we're doing and thinking as we develop WolfQuest 3: Anniversary Edition and the Tower Fall expansion!

Moderators: Neamara, Koa

loboLoco
WolfQuest Team Member
WolfQuest Team Member

v1.1.1 in Public Beta with Persistent Packs

Post by loboLoco » Thu Dec 07, 2023 3:15 pm

The next game update, v1.1.1, is now in public beta on Steam! This features the new Persistent Pack feature! Rival packs now have lives of their own: growing, shrinking, and changing over the course of years. Most if this is invisible to players, but should make the game feel more realistic.

See instructions at bottom of this page for how to get the beta.

Here's the big new stuff in this update, but read the beta build notes on Steam to see all the changes, improvements and bugfixes.

* When packs lose a pack leader (breeder), the remaining leader must find a mate soon or the pack will disband.
* If a pack disbands, a new pack will soon move in to claim that vacancy on the territory map.
* If you Jump Ahead to Next Year, rival territories will show accumulated change.
* The new Known Wolves panel in Pack Info lists rival and dispersal wolves that the player has encountered. The player can give any of those wolves a nickname there.
* In multiplayer, NPC wolves are known to the pack as a group, not to individual players, so they'll be listed for everyone if any player has encountered them.

Moving to another map:
* When you do not have any young pups, you can travel from one Yellowstone map to another (so currently only Amethyst - Slough Creek).
* To do so, go to border area indicated on the World Map and you'll be asked if you want to travel to the other map.
* This is currently only in single-player. We're working on multiplayer but unsure when it'll be ready.

Known Wolves:
* Whenever you encounter a rival or dispersal wolf, they are added to the new Known Wolves panel in Pack Info.
* You can give them a nickname and see how their lives change (or end) as time goes by.

Existing saves will be upgraded to the new system when loaded. This is a complex new system and we're still tuning it, so we look forward to feedback from the public beta to help that effort. Please play through some years and submit feedback and bug reports (via F11 / Bug Report button in Options popup) with comments!

TO GET THE BETA BUILD
1) In the Steam app, go to your Library, then right-click on the WolfQuest: AE name in the left column and choose Properties.
2) Then go to the Betas tab and select the WQ current Beta option in the pulldown. No password is necessary. Steam should then start downloading it. Later you can switch back to the public version in that Betas tab, by selecting NONE in that pulldown.
Dave/loboLoco
WolfQuest Game Producer

criatureds
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Re: v1.1.1 in Public Beta with Persistent Packs

Post by criatureds » Wed Jan 17, 2024 12:38 pm

Hi! I've been asking myself (if it still works as a beta, I guess you're fixing bugs, etc) if there's no way I can play it if I downloaded it from Itch.io? When will this be released to the game from that platform (or if it's already released)?

I saw when you get to know the wolves they're automatically added to the NPC list, but since I haven't played (seriously) for a month I didn't get to see the Persistent Packs release, and as I don't know how it works in gameplay I just wanted to know.

God bless your work <3

loboLoco
WolfQuest Team Member
WolfQuest Team Member

Post by loboLoco » Thu Jan 18, 2024 11:27 am

Public betas are only on Steam, but if you purchased the game on itchio, you can get a Steam key on your download page.

The v1.1.1 update was released on both Steam and itchio versions in mid-December.
Dave/loboLoco
WolfQuest Game Producer

criatureds
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by criatureds » Thu Jan 18, 2024 2:20 pm

Cool! Key redeemed and now I've got it from steam, every patch will be released on that platform at first place, right?
Thank you! :D :D