Saga Switchbacks

Find out what we're doing and thinking as we develop WolfQuest 3: Anniversary Edition and the Tower Fall expansion!

Moderators: Neamara, Koa

loboLoco
WolfQuest Team Member
WolfQuest Team Member

Saga Switchbacks

Post by loboLoco » Thu Sep 28, 2023 1:09 pm

Working on a big project like the Saga* sometimes feels like climbing a mountain. And sometimes when you're climbing a mountain, the path has some switchbacks, where you have to turn and go back and forth rather than progressing directly up to the summit. Switchbacks can seem slower but they're often necessary in order to make steady, sure-footed progress and find a clear path up tricky terrain. With WolfQuest, a switchback is especially frustrating, but it can be unavoidable re-route when we find some element of the original game design that just doesn't work well with the Saga. Today's devblog looks at several such things.

Learn to Hunt Quest: The first quest in the game, Learn to Hunt, makes perfect sense as the initial quest in the game, since hunting is fundamental to wolf survival. But in the Saga, you'll see (and help) your pups learn to hunt...so why does a two-year-old wolf have to learn to hunt all over again? This is pretty easy to solve by renaming this quest "Learn to Hunt Alone" or "Survive Alone" or something like that.

Wolf Names: When designing Anniversary Edition five years ago, we settled on a nice and simple method for naming wolves in rival packs: Use the pack name and start with 1 and go up from there. It works fine if you play the game a few times, but of course we should have known by then that many people will play the game more than a few times. Redesigning this is relatively simple, but it's tied to a much bigger revision of rival wolf packs, making them persistent and dynamic over the years of the Saga. Raul has been working on that and we'll show it in an upcoming devblog.

Aging Up: This is probably the most glaring example of a design element that doesn't work well in the Saga. When we added Age Perks a few years ago, it seemed unfair to force your wolf to advance in age each year, since some players might well want to stay the same age and keep their current perks. But in the Saga, with time passing continuously year-round, it makes no sense whatsoever. Are your pups going to be frozen in time as well? So I really wanted to remove that option entirely...but after consulting with some players and hearing their strong opinions on the matter, we decided to keep it. Tommi came up with a reasonably good solution: If you decide to stay the same age, all adult wolves in the game will also stay their current age, and only pups will keep growing up until they reach adulthood. I'm honestly not thrilled with this solution, but it's hard to take features away from players, so I accept it.

White Coats: We like to use real wolves as the basis for wolf coats in the game. Those wolves range in age, so some have gone white or whitish with age. Offering those coats makes the game more realistic in the big picture, but a bit weird for specific wolves, particularly the player wolf which is always two years old at the start of the game. We have some ideas about how to address this, but it gets more complicated since all wolves get more grizzled with age. Someday we'd love to simulate that over the course of each wolf's life in the Saga....but that presents multiple challenges, technically and aesthetically, with performance impacts. Eventually, we hope to figure out a good solution for that, but we don't know what it will be or when we might tackle it.

Those are just a few things that we're grappling with, or hope to grapple with at some point. Overall, we're making good progress with the Saga, but it's a big job and will take a good while before it's ready to release. Stay tuned for updates!

* What is the WolfQuest Saga? Basically, it's "the rest of the game" -- where time keeps passing, your pups keep growing -- learning to hunt, growing into yearlings, and eventually (usually) dispersing to find or form a pack of their own. The Saga will be a free update. We do not have a release date for it.

The WolfQuest saga will continue! Stay tuned for more news in upcoming devblogs about it and other new features!

Once the game is completed on PC/Mac, we will consider porting the game to other platforms.

We do not announce specific release dates. We will release them when they are ready.
Dave/loboLoco
WolfQuest Game Producer

Neamara
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Re: Saga Switchbacks

Post by Neamara » Thu Sep 28, 2023 2:12 pm

Wolf Names: -snip-
Safe to say that I am looking forward to this almost as much as I am dreading it. :'D Meanwhile, the WQ Wiki workload... TTnTT
Aging Up: -snip-
Ahhh... okay, didn't expect this so soon! Dave, your stance on this is understandable, but as a player who just doesn't want to age-up certain wolves and wants to keep favourites forever alive and playable... I disagree with outright removal // don't want it to just disappear. I'm relieved others agree and am satisfied with Tommi's proposed solution to the problem you've presented. So, a huge thank you to everyone involved for potentially saving this element of gameplay! It's deeply appreciated. ^^
White Coats: -snip-
Also very appreciative to see acknowledgement of this, and of the potential this could have for both young and elder wolves. I personally don't mind a long wait for this particular type of feature and I'm sure you'll find a balanced solution to overcome this hurdle. Best of luck!

Skrillning
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf
Name: Skrill, Skrilly, Sandy, or Ev
Location: Forever playing WolfQuest on extremely low graphics settings

Post by Skrillning » Thu Sep 28, 2023 4:44 pm

Interesting changes and some much-wanted ones! I love the idea of continually progressing time, but I also know that some players would like to keep their wolves for as long as they want, so I'm glad that you guys were able to come up with a solution. I can't wait for the whiter coats, since I think that would be really clever to add to the game. And of course the wolf names, I'm getting a bit tired of referring to every wolf as "Pack Name 1F" or "Pack Name 3M" or other :lol:

I wish you guys the best! :D

Wolfie-WolfquestFan
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf
Name: Wolfie

Post by Wolfie-WolfquestFan » Thu Sep 28, 2023 5:49 pm

:wolf:
It is just like a mountain! :D
In my opinion, those wolf names kinda get tiring after a while…. Same old ‘Pack Name F1’ and stuff; I think it would be refreshing to see new names!!
And for the white coats, I always thought those were a bit odd… :| It would be nice to see it a bit more… realistic. I also think it would be soo cool if the wolves’ coats start changing as they age, but, like you said, it would take a lot of storage, and it would be hard for us with older devices (mine barley runs WolfQuest :( )
Now, for the aging up, I think it is reasonable to keep it since players are used to the function to freeze time now, and I like your approach to the problem, freezing adult wolves but aging pups.
Keep up the incredible work, and don’t forget, you’ll make it up that mountain soon!!!
-Wolfie
:wolf:

-Wolfdog-
Yearling
Yearling
Name: Wolf

Post by -Wolfdog- » Sat Sep 30, 2023 7:27 am

In my opinion, I believe the "white coats" (genetically black,) should be left alone, maybe with an option to have a "dynamic" version of that coat that changes with age? (This would honestly make players more willing to use the more realistic coats, while also preserving the old coats as-is. Players usually use the newest game features the most).

I agree about the aging up, the solution in the video is a bit unconventional and might confuse newer players. I might have an alternative solution to this dilemma. Make players age up their wolves if they want to progress. If these players want to keep their wolves the same age, then they can just replay old saves or multiplayer. I know it might sound harsh but... there are still endless possibilities with old saves. And the player can still continue their pack's legacy by playing as the pups... Basically... keep the current aging system except force players to age up every spring they continue playing with their wolf.

At some point with realistic simulation games, there might have to be compromises with realism in favor of gameplay.

Follow the KISS rule!