Hellroaring Mountain (WolfQuest Goes to Yellowstone)

Find out what we're doing and thinking as we develop WolfQuest 3: Anniversary Edition and the Tower Fall expansion!

Moderators: Neamara, Koa

loboLoco
WolfQuest Team Member
WolfQuest Team Member

Hellroaring Mountain (WolfQuest Goes to Yellowstone)

Post by loboLoco » Thu Sep 14, 2023 10:02 am

We are working on a new DLC map for WolfQuest: Anniversary Edition, centered around Hellroaring Mountain in north-central Yellowstone. On our most recent visit to Yellowstone, we hiked into this area to get a look at it firsthand. It has a great variety of environments: rolling sagebrush-steppe gradually rising up to Buffalo Plateau, strands of Douglas-fir forests on mountain slopes, and plenty of granite outcrops going up to the summit. And along the southern section, the Yellowstone River roils through the Black Canyon. We saw some of each on our hike, so now you too can get a sneak peak at this upcoming new game location!

In case you missed it in last month's devblog: Many players are still under the impression that Saga is part of the Tower Fall DLC map (because that's what we said would be the case years ago). This will likely cause confusion and uncertainty when the time comes to release the Saga update and Tower Fall, so we've decided to set the Tower Fall map aside, for now at least, to disconnect it entirely from the Saga. But we do rely on DLC revenues to help fund Saga development, so we have been working on the Hellroaring Mountain map instead, which we expect to release before the Saga is ready for release.

The WolfQuest saga will continue! Stay tuned for more news in upcoming devblogs about it and other new features!

Once the game is completed on PC/Mac, we will consider porting the game to other platforms.

We do not announce specific release dates. We will release them when they are ready.
Dave/loboLoco
WolfQuest Game Producer

DinoDogDude209
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Re: Hellroaring Mountain (WolfQuest Goes to Yellowstone)

Post by DinoDogDude209 » Thu Sep 14, 2023 3:46 pm

Oh my goodness, I already know I'm going to love this new map. I never had a chance to visit the Hellroaring Creek area when I went to Yellowstone a few years ago, so this location is something that is completely new and foreign to me. It does seem to have a pretty good mix of WolfQuest's standard environments of Douglas Fir forests and sagebrush steppes, but that big mountain will definitely be a pretty interesting place to explore. It'll be neat to see what the gameplay will be like in this map, since it does seem to be more open than the other maps in the game. That being said, it does seem like it will certainly help to further expand the variety of locations in the game, and that's going to be great in the saga since (if I understood correctly) we'll be able to move freely between all of the different Yellowstone maps.

It's great seeing the WolfQuest team going on these research trips to Yellowstone, especially since you guys visit the actual locations you're going to add to the game. That's real dedication, and it's great to see you guys having fun exploring these beautiful locations. Having been to Yellowstone myself now, it's so cool to explore places like first meadow in Slough Creek and the Lamar Valley in Amethyst Mountain in the game after having seen it in real life. It really makes me go back to those memories from my own trip to Yellowstone, which is really awesome. I hope the WolfQuest team can also revisit some of their own memories from their own Yellowstone trips through uploading these videos and recreating these locations in the game. I don't mean to get overly philosophical here, but it's those types of adventures and the memories associated with them that make life more bearable. I hope the WolfQuest team enjoys these research trips as much as we players enjoy watching these videos.

Wolfie-WolfquestFan
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf
Name: Wolfie

Re: Hellroaring Mountain (WolfQuest Goes to Yellowstone)

Post by Wolfie-WolfquestFan » Sat Sep 23, 2023 4:20 pm

:wolf:
What a beautiful area! You guys made a good choice on a location for a map because it’s just screaming WolfQuest! I love these trip you do, and I love seeing Yellowstone, since I’m way to far to visit anytime soon. There are so many perfect places you’ve found that almost seem like they are straight out of the game, even though Yellowstone came first! I love all the maps you guys make, the more there are, the more real the game feels and it has so much more potential. And to think that some time soon we’ll be playing the map and finding all the places shown on the video…. I can already see it. Keep up the outstanding work!! :mrgreen:
-Wolfie
:wolf: