v1.1.0 Released!

Find out what we're doing and thinking as we develop WolfQuest 3: Anniversary Edition and the Tower Fall expansion!

Moderators: Neamara, Koa

loboLoco
WolfQuest Team Member
WolfQuest Team Member

v1.1.0 Released!

Post by loboLoco » Tue Jun 27, 2023 12:17 pm

We've released the next big game update, where you can raise pups on Amethyst Mountain, hunt pronghorn, customized your territory hex colors, and much more!

PATCH NOTES

v1.1.0 - Released 27 June 2023

NEW:

* All quests are now playable in Amethyst and Slough Creek, with more than 20 dens on the Amethyst map.
* Several territory configurations to choose from when starting new game in Amethyst, Slough Creek, and Lost River (DLC).
* Added a Territory hex color picker in Game Settings.
* All AI converted to new AI system -- animals should generally behave as they did before.
* In Wolf Customization: Primary and Secondary howls are now combined into one panel, so you can choose any howl for either type. There are also 22 new howls added.
* Pronghorns now roam the grasslands of each map. They are very fast and generally extremely hard to catch, except for summertime fawns: in June, newborn fawns hide in the grass like elk and mule deer, while later in the summer they are ambulatory but easier to catch than adults are.
* New coyote model.
* Many new dream images.
* Many new idle animations when sitting and laying down. (Note: the wolf's head-look action doesn't occur now when sitting and lying down, due to some complications with these new idle animations in those poses. We might be able to add it back at some point in the future, but that's uncertain.)
* Player can do most emotes when sitting and lying down (but not tail emotes).
* Pups are now more tentative and clumsier for a short time after first emerging from the den at the start of the Raise Pups quest.
* Pups have a few more play behaviors, including chasing each other around the homesite area.
* Mate and pups now howl with the player-wolf instead of afterwards. (Finally able to do this with the new AI system.)
* Bigger, better fire tower in Lost River DLC.
* New, improved cottonwood trees.
* New, improved lupine plants.
* Research airplane occasionally flies overhead to observe wolves if any in the group have a radio collar.
* Find a Mate quest: Upon accepting your trial mate, you can now choose to hang out with your mate for awhile, or proceed onward into winter season and Establish Territory quest. If you choose to hang out with your mate, once you're ready to proceed into winter, you can do so via a button in Pack Info.
* Juniper bushes added throughout Slough Creek.
* Better meat chunks from carcasses.
* Added privacy statement on Register and Account panels.
* New game title art now used in game loading screen.

IMPROVEMENTS:

* The Family Tree snapshot now auto-saves if you rename your mate or pups, or you get a new mate after your old mate dies.
* Loading screens (between main menu and maps) have many new tips and images, and all tips are now matched to appropriate images.
* Reduced memory footprint in Amethyst and Slough Creek.
* Some performance improvements in Amethyst Mountain.
* Starting and joining MP games should now be more reliable even if it takes quite awhile (several minutes) to load in.
* Some performance improvements around big cliff rocks in Lost River DLC map, if Big Rock Quality is set to Medium.
* In Lost River DLC map, human actions are no longer possible causes of death for old wolves.
* Domestic cattle carcasses in Lost River DLC now show partially-consumed textures when partially-eaten.
* Spike elk now lose their antlers in late spring and regrow them over the summer.
* Reclassified tree stump den north of Lost River fire tower as Wooded.
* Improvements to tree appearances.
* Boulders now always have snow on them during winter season.
* Improved movement on fawn and calf carcasses when being carried.
* Improved springtime overflow waterfall on Lost River DLC hydro dam.
* Small fawn and calf carcasses, and collectible objects, now respect gravity when being carried.
* Some additional wolf growls and other vocalizations.
* Additional pup howls.
* New idle animation variations when wolf is lying down.
* Improved wolf walk and stalk animations.
* Reduced ambient noise in some animal vocalization audio.
* Improved performance when around the Amethyst cliff rocks in deep snow.
* Reduced chances of snow in February a bit.
* Amount of dust kicked up by running animals is now tailored to each season (based on how wet or dry the season is).
* Many minor improvements to Amethyst natural environment.
* Improved snow accumulation on tree dens (to better match accumulation on surrounding terrain).
* Enabled Fearful Snarl emote when moving.
* Bull elk fights now feature more frequent antler clashes.
* Lost River DLC: Some big rocky outcrops now have permanent snow throughout the winter. (in progress)
* Refinements to Slough Creek small ponds in early spring.
* Enlarged the short-grass area around each den in Slough Creek and Lost River DLC.
* Increased distance that mate will hear player's woof to go back to den.
* New Woof animations (tailored to audio)
* Improved waterfall graphics at Fairies' Falls.

BUGS FIXED:

* NPC animals can get stuck on Lost River west bridge.
* Some newborn pups are vibrating in the den.
* Foxes don't know to avoid stray dogs.
* When caught in a rancher's trap in Lost River, the wolf gets stuck running endlessly.
* Short tail looks slinky in main menu wolf carousel.
* Strength perk alters wolf's body size.
* Mate will eat small carcass or meat chunk instantly.
* Old outdated text on "You cannot mark territory in Lost River" notification.
* Some dispersal names are too long for Scent Readout.
* In Lost River DLC, on Basic Sky & Vegetation mode, creeks don't respect fog when viewed at a distance.
* In Lost River DLC, if wolf is caught in a second trap after escaping the first trap, the second trap doesn't disappear after escaping it.
* Snow can fall in far corner of Lost Luck Silver Mine in Lost River DLC.
* Scent view is too bright when there's light snowfall on the ground at night.
* Lost River Classic: High quality terrain floats above correct ground level a bit, causing visual issues.
* In Lost River DLC, player can't go quite as close to the map border as prey animals can.
* Stray dachshund swims underwater.
* Carcasses persist from Find a Den quest to Raise Pups (in reality, they'd be long consumed by the time the pups emerge from the den).
* Many minor issues with terrains and dens.
* Alert about not being logged into Microsoft OneDrive doesn't appear when it should.
* Multiplayer: Only host can view rendezvous sites before Raise Pups quest is completed.
* Multiplayer: If host is slow to load into game and client player joins quickly, the client can become stuck.
* Multiplayer: Pup death notifications sometimes don't appear.
* Multiplayer: Stuck notification during Fixed Sleep schedule.
* Multiplayer: Scent tracks sometimes have blank label in scent view.
* Removed Fixed Sleep option for MP Story games.
* Sometimes ungulates have snow when farther away from the player, but it disappears when they get closer.
* Clever wolves can obtain multiple mates.
* Lamar River flickers when viewed from far away.
* Maple bushes along creeks get thicker when you're farther away from them.
* Blank notification if pup dies of burns in hot springs.
* Mate frequently stops following player for a moment.
* Some reductions in memory usage.
* Mate marker on map is rotated 90 degrees.
* Empty notification at edge of game map.
* Tall grass patches are tilted at a few rendezvous sites.
* Inside dirt den, snowflakes can still fall.
* Wolf gait is too fast when running in deep snow.
* Sky is often very bright when you first switch into scent view.
* Many minor terrain and water issues.

See all patch notes at: https://support.wolfquest.org
Dave/loboLoco
WolfQuest Game Producer

Wolfie-WolfquestFan
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf
Name: Wolfie

Re: v1.1.0 Released!

Post by Wolfie-WolfquestFan » Tue Jun 27, 2023 5:50 pm

:wolf:
Yes yes yes!!! This is GREAT. All those months really paid off. I’m really excited about all the new updates, the clumsy pups, living on Amethyst, the new chunks of meat…. I love the chunks of meat! I was never a huge fan of the same old tiny chunks, and these new chunks look cool!! This update doesn’t even feel real… yet it is. The saga is almost here! I can’t believe it! Keep up the great work!
:wolf:

duskypack
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month
Name: “Dusk”

Post by duskypack » Sat Jul 01, 2023 10:11 am

I’m amazed at how the team gets more efficient every year. In 2014, this update would’ve taken three years, not six months!

Windstrider
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month
Name: Wind

Post by Windstrider » Sun Jul 02, 2023 12:29 am

It's amazing to see how far the game has come! It's awesome to be able to do everything in both of the main maps now; that'll be fun to try out. And the group howl and pups are adorable, I love them!

Skrillning
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf
Name: Skrill, Skrilly, Sandy, or Ev
Location: Forever playing WolfQuest on extremely low graphics settings

Post by Skrillning » Mon Jul 03, 2023 3:55 pm

I completely agree! This update is definitely worth the wait. I enjoy hunting the pronghorn, and I think that the western section of Amethyst Mountain is beautiful, especially in the fall. (Also, yay, I'm not COPPA anymore!)

DinoDogDude209
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by DinoDogDude209 » Fri Jul 14, 2023 10:56 am

I just got to check out the new update for the first time a few days ago and I absolutely love it! It's so great to finally get Pronghorn in the game, they're so fun to chase after (even though you're rarely able to catch them, but that's part of what makes them so fun to hunt) and they're such neat and iconic animals that it's so good to finally be able to find them in the game. They really help to expand and flesh out the game's lineup of prey animals.

Every new species that gets added to the game makes the world of WolfQuest more like the real Yellowstone, and it's so great to see how far the game has come in terms of how many species of animals are represented! I remember when WQAE was first released, when the only prey species were Elk, Mule Deer, Moose and those little Snowshoe Hares. Don't get me wrong, those species are very well-represented in the game, but the game was seriously lacking a lot of the prey species (especially ungulates) that make Yellowstone feel like Yellowstone! We've gotten Beavers, small herds of Bison and now Pronghorn too since then. I think all we need now is those Bighorn Sheep, bigger herds of Bison and maybe a few more small prey animals, and then the prey species lineup will feel truly complete and all-encompassing! It's so great to see just how much the game has improved since it was first released!

The ability to play the whole game arc on any map is so neat too, and it's also going to be so neat to be able to freely move between all of the Yellowstone-based maps (especially once Tower Fall is released). The new coyote model looks great too, the coyotes look (and behave) a lot more like real coyotes in the game now, which is great to see.

Overall this game just keeps getting better and better with every new update, well done WolfQuest team!

NotaNvmbr
Pup
Pup
Name: NaN, Stripe

Post by NotaNvmbr » Sat Jul 15, 2023 11:00 am

I haven't played WolfQuest in months (I don't have access to the computer that has it installed at the moment) but now I want to get back to it so bad :(