The Pup Chase

Find out what we're doing and thinking as we develop WolfQuest 3: Anniversary Edition and the Tower Fall expansion!

Moderators: Neamara, Koa

loboLoco
WolfQuest Team Member
WolfQuest Team Member

The Pup Chase

Post by loboLoco » Thu Jun 08, 2023 12:09 pm

The next big game update is getting very close to public beta...but it's not quite there yet. So in today's devblog, let's look at a new pup behavior. It's one we've had on the list for a long time: a chase, with coordinated action between two pups. One pup playbows to invite the other to chase it, then runs off hoping that the invitation will be accepted.

Tommi tackled this to try out the new AI system (which mainly has converted AI from the original system, plus a few new behaviors like this). But while preparing this devblog video, I hacked the pup AI to make them chase all the time (easier to get good video then), and realized that what we really needed were group chases -- one pup chases another and other pups nearby can't resist joining in. So Tommi expanded this behavior to include that -- and that along with many other things will be in the upcoming v1.1.0 update -- which should be in public beta very soon!

The WolfQuest saga will continue! Stay tuned for more news in upcoming devblogs about it and other new features!

Once the game is completed on PC/Mac, we will turn our attention to other platforms.

We do not announce specific release dates. We will release them when they are ready.
Dave/loboLoco
WolfQuest Game Producer

Wolfie-WolfquestFan
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf
Name: Wolfie

Re: The Pup Chase

Post by Wolfie-WolfquestFan » Fri Jun 09, 2023 4:57 pm

:wolf:
OMG!!!
I’m going INSANE right now! That is so adorable! There are no words for the cuteness (nor the excitement I’m feeling) of this new interaction!! I was excited just to see a new video, but the puppies are literally chasing each other?! It even reminds me of my dog, who loves to be chased… maybe too much. And, a lot of them will chase each other?! It’s too cute!!! I can’t wait until this update is out…. Next week?!? Yesss!!!
:wolf:

Neamara
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Neamara » Sun Jun 11, 2023 10:31 am

I do like the idea of pups expanding their "known world" each time they become lost. A welcome change! ^^

Wind_Shadow
Pup
Pup
Name: Wind, Windy, Shadow

Post by Wind_Shadow » Mon Jun 12, 2023 9:59 am

I’m very excited about this! In addition to being incredibly adorable, I love how the pups will expand their exploration range! It makes sense for them to retain knowledge after getting lost so many times, and to be able to navigate areas they’ve been in before. I can’t wait for the public Beta version to come out, but take as much time as you need!