Amethyst Quests and Territory Hexes

Find out what we're doing and thinking as we develop WolfQuest 3: Anniversary Edition and the Tower Fall expansion!

Moderators: Neamara, Koa

loboLoco
WolfQuest Team Member
WolfQuest Team Member

Amethyst Quests and Territory Hexes

Post by loboLoco » Thu May 11, 2023 3:32 pm

In the next game update (coming somewhat soon), you'll be able to play the entire (current) sequence of quests in all maps. You can start a new game in Amethyst -- and stay there through the winter and into the next year, choosing and raising your pups. And in Slough Creek, you can start a new game and find a mate there. This of course requires homesites in Amethyst, so we've created 21 dens and nearly 30 rendezvous sites there.

Because of Amethyst's topography, the dens are located along the lower elevations of the Chalcedony and Amethyst Creek watersheds, on south-facing slopes. These two watersheds are on opposite sides of the map, so the Amethyst territory configuration -- with the no-mans-land in the center between them -- doesn't work too well. So we've set up two territory configurations -- one centered on the western dens, one on the eastern dens. Along with this, we revised the territory hex grid to match Slough Creek's grid.

All this is part of the WolfQuest Saga -- and a related part of it will be more dynamic rival packs. Raul is working on that, but they won't be ready for awhile (and until they are, you can't move between Amethyst and Slough Creek, you're stuck on whichever map you start on). But while working on that, we realized that there's a chance of more than three rival packs holding territory on the map simultaneously, which means we need more territory hex colors. It's pretty hard to find five or six colors that look distinctly different in all common types of colorblindness, so this is a good rationale to finally create a way for players to customize the hex colors. We've got two preset palettes -- colorblind and the original palette we used initially in the game -- but you can then override any hex colors that you like and save this new palette to be used in all game maps. We'll be curious to see what color schemes players come up with!

We've got a fair bit of work and bugtesting left to do, but we expect to release this game update somewhat soonish.

The WolfQuest saga will continue! Stay tuned for more news in upcoming devblogs about it and other new features!

Once the game is completed on PC/Mac, we will turn our attention to other platforms.

We do not announce specific release dates. We will release them when they are ready.
Dave/loboLoco
WolfQuest Game Producer

NotaNvmbr
Pup
Pup
Name: NaN, Stripe

Re: Amethyst Quests and Territory Hexes

Post by NotaNvmbr » Sat May 13, 2023 4:56 pm

Seriously, the next game update!? That's so soon for being able to finish all the main quests on all maps! Great work, I'm excited for the update!

Wolfie-WolfquestFan
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf
Name: Wolfie

Post by Wolfie-WolfquestFan » Sun May 14, 2023 3:55 pm

:wolf:
Woohoo! I’m so excited for this update! I was never a big fan of my pack’s hex color, and I’d love to change it to more of a blue. Keep up the outstanding work!!
:wolf:

psy
Former WQ Moderator
Name: Jay

Post by psy » Mon May 15, 2023 7:19 am

Wow! This is a huge update to be released so soon. I'm stoked to finally be able to play through all the quests in AM and start a new game in SC. Custom hex colors for territory is also a nice touch. Keep it up!