New AI System for the Saga

Find out what we're doing and thinking as we develop WolfQuest 3: Anniversary Edition and the Tower Fall expansion!

Moderators: Neamara, Koa

loboLoco
WolfQuest Team Member
WolfQuest Team Member

New AI System for the Saga

Post by loboLoco » Thu Apr 13, 2023 12:13 pm

The new AI system, which Tommi has been working on for quite awhile, is in in good shape now, so let's take a look at it.

First, to clarify: This isn't new AI for the animals -- it's a new version of our AI system, which Tommi first designed and built almost six years ago. It has served us well -- but after using it for all that time, Tommi decided that we needed a new, improved version to handle the kinds of wolf behaviors that we want to create in the Saga.* This new system makes it easier and faster to create new animal behaviors, and especially to create more complicated behaviors, involving interactions between animals.

This new AI system also has an important new feature for the Saga: experience levels for the pups as they grow up. In the old AI system, pups were pups, and behaved the same whether they were four weeks old, just emerging from the den, or two months old at the rendezvous site. Now, pups have eight experience levels and, as they grow and develop, they'll gain experience and level up -- with each new level unlocking new behaviors.

So when the pup first emerge from the den, they're in the Clumsy level, rather unsteady on their feet. But they're very curious about this new world they find themselves in, and they're exploring and pushing the envelope of their abilities (and their balance). In doing these things, they gain experience and will soon level up to the next level, where they'll have most of the behaviors they've always had in the game. And then, as they grow, pups will adopt new playful actions and the beginnings of a predatory drive. Eventually, in the fall, they'll begin learning how to hunt, leveling up through several tiers of hunting ability on their way to becoming a fully capable young wolf.

We have plenty of work ahead of now to develop the Saga, but the first phase shown in today's devblog (Clumsy) will be in the next game update. That update won't be for awhile, as we still have some work to do with this new AI. So stay tuned for more news!

* In the WolfQuest Saga, the game will continue on after the summer rendezvous site. Your pups will keep growing, learning how to hunt and then helping (in their own way) raise the next year's litter of pups, and eventually (in most cases) dispersing to form or find a pack of their own. We are deep in development of the Saga and do not have a release date for it. The Saga will be a free update.

The WolfQuest saga will continue! Stay tuned for more news in upcoming devblogs about it and other new features!

Once the game is completed on PC/Mac, we will turn our attention to other platforms.

We do not announce specific release dates. We will release them when they are ready.
Dave/loboLoco
WolfQuest Game Producer

Wolfie-WolfquestFan
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf
Name: Wolfie

Re: New AI System for the Saga

Post by Wolfie-WolfquestFan » Thu Apr 13, 2023 2:14 pm

:wolf:
So exited! The pups levels will be really exciting, especially for the first time we see it. :) Keep up the amazing work!!!
:wolf:

Wind_Shadow
Pup
Pup
Name: Wind, Windy, Shadow

Post by Wind_Shadow » Thu Apr 13, 2023 2:33 pm

I’m really excited to see how the pups progress! I certainly think it will be much more realistic that they don’t just confidently stroll right out of the den their first time. Even if it’s only for a short while, I love the adorable little clumsy puppies! I think the sweet little attempt at a howl is especially heartwarming. I also can’t wait to see what older pup stages look like in the late summer, fall, and winter, and how they progress into mature young wolves!

-Wolfdog-
Yearling
Yearling
Name: Wolf

Post by -Wolfdog- » Fri Apr 14, 2023 9:09 am

I love this idea. But what will happen to already grown-up pups? Will they not gain any experience?