Amethyst Rocks!

Find out what we're doing and thinking as we develop WolfQuest 3: Anniversary Edition and the Tower Fall expansion!

Moderators: Neamara, Koa

loboLoco
WolfQuest Team Member
WolfQuest Team Member

Amethyst Rocks!

Post by loboLoco » Thu Feb 09, 2023 2:51 pm

With Lost River released, we've been working on multiple fronts. Tommi and Andrei are converting all the animals to the new, improved Saga AI. Raul has been rewriting a core animal control system that had gotten overly complicated. Mikko is working on other improvements. We’ll share more about all of these things in the coming months.

I've been busy tackling the many things required to play the full quest arc on the Amethyst Mountain map. This involves creating the other seasons of the year, new den sites, new rendezvous sites, and many other things. While working on several new rock dens, I realized that I had never quite gotten a handle on the types of rocks in this area of Yellowstone. So this past week, while recovering from an unexpected (and I suppose long overdue) bout of Covid, I again dug into the geology of Amethyst Mountain and Specimen Ridge. This area has a complicated geologic history, with many geologic events over the millennia, so very different types of rocks are visible in different spots, Primarily, the ridge and mountain are made of conglomerate -- which is basically pebbles stuck in dried mud. formed by lahars (mudflows) from two ancient volcanoes.

So today's devblog looks at the process of reworking the rock textures on the cliffs and other outcrops. I know that everyone really wants updates on the Saga -- and those are coming! But this one is for the handful of players out there who like geology. Enjoy!

The WolfQuest saga will continue! Stay tuned for more news in upcoming devblogs about it and other new features!

Once the game is completed on PC/Mac, we will turn our attention to other platforms.

We do not announce specific release dates. We will release them when they are ready.
Dave/loboLoco
WolfQuest Game Producer

Wolfie-WolfquestFan
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf
Name: Wolfie

Re: Amethyst Rocks!

Post by Wolfie-WolfquestFan » Thu Feb 09, 2023 5:28 pm

:wolf:
Yay! :mrgreen: I love seeing these devblogs. I enjoy seeing the games progress. The terrain development is really neat and I enjoy seeing how the game really reflects real places! Keep up the good work!!
:wolf:

Wind_Shadow
Pup
Pup
Name: Wind, Windy, Shadow

Re: Amethyst Rocks!

Post by Wind_Shadow » Sat Feb 18, 2023 9:05 am

I’m really excited to see how Amethyst Mountain is coming along! Even though everyone is anxious to see what Saga updates are next on the list, it’s the little things like accurate improved rock structures that make the game and maps that much better. Amethyst Mountain does have a highly fascinating geological history, and I’m thrilled to see how that is being brought out into the map now! I can’t wait to see where WolfQuest will go next- every time I think it can’t get any better, you come up with something new and exciting that keeps the game as intriguing and fresh as when it first came out! Keep up the amazing work!