Lost River is Coming Soon!

Find out what we're doing and thinking as we develop WolfQuest 3: Anniversary Edition and the Tower Fall expansion!

Moderators: Neamara, Koa

loboLoco
WolfQuest Team Member
WolfQuest Team Member

Lost River is Coming Soon!

Post by loboLoco » Thu Dec 01, 2022 4:07 pm

The new, greatly-expanded Lost River map is shaping up and should be ready to release soon! The price for this DLC will be US$12 and you'll be able to purchase it from the game via Steam or itch.io, just as with the customization DLC packs.

What do you get for that?
* A bigger map! Lost River (a fictional area in the Mountain West) is 8 by 8 kilometers (compared to 7x7 km for the Yellowstone maps, and 2x2 km for WolfQuest Classic maps) -- which creates almost 30% more area to explore and enjoy.
* The full arc of quests, from learning to hunt through raising pups. (That currently brings you to Endless Summer, but once the Saga is completed, it will be available in Lost River as well as in the Yellowstone maps.)
* The mysterious town of Lost River, which humans abandoned some years ago -- but where you'll find clues about their activities and concerns.
* A vast wilderness reaching into the mountains, where elk roam and grizzlies roar.
* And much more that's yet to be revealed!

Furthermore, over in the next valley, an ornery family of ranchers ignored the evacuation order, and players may be tempted to hunt their herd of cattle -- be beware, they ranchers have a few tricks up their sleeves.

And finally, Floppy the moose lives here in this reimagined Lost River, and now she has her own theme song! We do not announce release dates, but our goal is to release Lost River soon, before the holidays!

The WolfQuest saga will continue! Stay tuned for more news in upcoming devblogs about it and other new features!

Once the game is completed on PC/Mac, we will turn our attention to other platforms.

We do not announce specific release dates. We will release them when they are ready.
Dave/loboLoco
WolfQuest Game Producer

Wind_Shadow
Pup
Pup
Name: Wind, Windy, Shadow

Re: Lost River is Coming Soon!

Post by Wind_Shadow » Fri Dec 02, 2022 1:55 pm

I am beyond excited for the new Lost River expansion! I will definitely be buying this as soon as it comes out. I'm getting a family member's old computer for Christmas, and it has better graphics than my current one which just broke, so it will be wonderful to start out Lost River on the new computer! I can't wait to explore all of the wilderness and see what cool dens and features have been put out! I'm eager to watch Floppy the moose and hear her special music, and I can't wait to explore the town and see what new clues I can find about what happened in Lost River! I'm also interested in trying out the cattle ranch!

I just have two questions. First, when we get the DLC and start a new game in Lost River, will we have the option of starting a game in the Classic or DLC? I'll probably do most of my LR games in DLC from now on, but I might go back to review the old one every now and then. Second, are you going to change the number of dispersal packs that spawn at the beginning of the game? I believe there's currently only one male and one female dispersal group spawned at the beginning of each game, and that might make it difficult to choose an adequate mate since we can have pups in Lost River now, too.

I can't wait for the DLC to come out, but no rush, take your time! I'm excited to see what you will make in the future!

Wolfie-WolfquestFan
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf
Name: Wolfie

Post by Wolfie-WolfquestFan » Fri Dec 02, 2022 1:56 pm

Yes yes yes!! I’m probably going to buy this dlc. My computer is a little slow, so I will probably preview it first. I can’t wait!!! :D :mrgreen:

loboLoco
WolfQuest Team Member
WolfQuest Team Member

Post by loboLoco » Fri Dec 02, 2022 6:00 pm

Wind_Shadow wrote:
Fri Dec 02, 2022 1:55 pm
I am beyond excited for the new Lost River expansion! I will definitely be buying this as soon as it comes out. I'm getting a family member's old computer for Christmas, and it has better graphics than my current one which just broke, so it will be wonderful to start out Lost River on the new computer! I can't wait to explore all of the wilderness and see what cool dens and features have been put out! I'm eager to watch Floppy the moose and hear her special music, and I can't wait to explore the town and see what new clues I can find about what happened in Lost River! I'm also interested in trying out the cattle ranch!

I just have two questions. First, when we get the DLC and start a new game in Lost River, will we have the option of starting a game in the Classic or DLC? I'll probably do most of my LR games in DLC from now on, but I might go back to review the old one every now and then. Second, are you going to change the number of dispersal packs that spawn at the beginning of the game? I believe there's currently only one male and one female dispersal group spawned at the beginning of each game, and that might make it difficult to choose an adequate mate since we can have pups in Lost River now, too.

I can't wait for the DLC to come out, but no rush, take your time! I'm excited to see what you will make in the future!
Lost River will be a separate map option when starting a new game, but LR-Classic will remain an option too. And yes, there will be many dispersal wolves roaming around, looking for mates.
Dave/loboLoco
WolfQuest Game Producer

DinoDogDude209
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by DinoDogDude209 » Sat Dec 03, 2022 1:49 pm

I cannot contain my excitement for this new Lost River map! The classic Lost River map was my favorite map in WolfQuest 2.7, even though it was very small and not much was done with it. I always thought that a fictional map formerly inhabited by humans had nearly endless potential for storytelling and interesting landmarks, so I've been excited for an expanded LR ever since it was announced.

This new Lost River map looks like it's going to be absolutely epic! Having an 8x8 kilometer map to explore is going to be awesome. For reference, that's the same size as the maps in theHunter Call of The Wild (another game I enjoy), which is very exciting because I've explored those and seen just how expansive they are. Even just seeing the size of the new Lost River map compared to Slough Creek makes me excited, because I've already explored Slough Creek and seen how vast it is. Seeing it compared to the Classic Lost River map shows just how big it is, and how far the game has come.

The new Lost River map looks beautiful so far, and it looks like it's going to have some great variety in landscapes (something I was really hoping for, by the way), and that's awesome! In this video, we get a great overview of what the map has to offer. From the backcountry wilderness areas to the heart of the abandoned town, it all just looks so well done! That remastered Cattle Ranch will be cool too, I love that the Cattle Ranch will be integrated into LR. Having it located in LR means that it can be a part of the actual game world, rather than a separate location that we'd travel to from Slough Creek. In a map as big as 8x8 kilometers, devoting a small section of that to a separate mission makes a lot of sense.

I also find it really cool that the new town will have more details and hints into the backstory of LR, it's just another example of how the new map is expanding upon aspects of the original. I'm also excited that Floppy's enclosure is being remade, and we're even getting new music for that area! Hearing the rest of the Lost River soundtrack again will also be fun, and I hope we'll hear the currently unused Bonus Piano Theme utilized at some point.

The preview option for the new map is really cool, and I hope that it will be an option for other DLC maps in the future. I think that feature will definitely convince more people to buy the new map, people who otherwise might be on the fence about purchasing it. Considering everything we'll get with it, I think it will be well worth the price.