Lost River Rocks!

Find out what we're doing and thinking as we develop WolfQuest 3: Anniversary Edition and the Tower Fall expansion!

Moderators: Neamara, Koa

loboLoco
WolfQuest Team Member
WolfQuest Team Member

Lost River Rocks!

Post by loboLoco » Thu Sep 01, 2022 3:10 pm

Here at last is the long-awaited (at least by a few players) devblog about the rocks and geology of Lost River! My initial goal was to create a geologic environment that was notably different than the granite landscape of Slough Creek (which I love, but I needed a change, and I figured players did too). The mountain west has an ample history of volcanism, which creates a great variety of rock types. Finding the right type of rock, and the right types of rock formations, took a few tries, and a bit of help from someone knowledgable about geology (my son), but I think the rhyolite rock formations are looking good now.

The upcoming Lost River DLC map will feature these new rocks, and much much more -- a greatly expanded map, the full sequence of quests (including the Saga once that is released), and plenty of cool little things. We expect to release it before the end of this year.

The WolfQuest saga will continue! Stay tuned for more news in upcoming devblogs about it and other new features!

Once the game is completed on PC/Mac, we will turn our attention to other platforms.

We do not announce specific release dates. We will release them when they are ready.
Dave/loboLoco
WolfQuest Game Producer

DinoDogDude209
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Re: Lost River Rocks!

Post by DinoDogDude209 » Sat Sep 10, 2022 11:17 am

This was a really awesome devblog, as exciting as a video about rocks can be! I really like the idea of having a slightly different environment in Lost River, and geology is an important aspect of that. The idea of having volcanic rocks in Lost River is unique, and I think it's interesting that there will be an ancient volcanic caldera in the center of the map. Below are my more in-depth thoughts on what was shown in this devblog.

It's cool to get a sneak peek at what the neighborhoods of Lost River will look like in the expanded map. I love how there's a suburban neighborhood right at the bottom of those huge rocky cliffs, that meeting point of natural and man-made elements just fits perfectly with the theme of Lost River. My only criticism is that it looks like the Red Maple trees are the only tree species there, which makes that area seem a bit monochromatic, because the trees are all that same bright red fall color. Maybe it would look better if there were some other types of trees there? I think it would make sense to have some aspen trees in that area of the map, especially since they're common "succession" trees that spread quickly, and they'd also help to add some more variety of foliage colors to that area in the fall.

That cluster of rocks with the Douglas Fir tree growing up between them is really cool, because stuff like that happens all the time in real life. It looks like that will be a den as well, which should make for an interesting den site for raising pups in Lost River.

I also loved seeing how the Two-Step waterfall area will look in the new map. It really fits the whole idea of the new Lost River map - bigger and better than what came before. The new Two-Step waterfalls look massive, much bigger and more impressive than any waterfalls we currently have in the game. It reminds me of the waterfall in the Grand Canyon of Yellowstone, and it also somewhat resembles Yosemite Falls. I wonder if those two waterfalls were used as inspiration for the new Two Step waterfalls?

My nitpicking and suggestions aside, I think the new Lost River map is looking pretty good! I'm very excited to explore it for myself!