Designing Dens in Lost River

Find out what we're doing and thinking as we develop WolfQuest 3: Anniversary Edition and the Tower Fall expansion!

Moderators: Neamara, Koa

loboLoco
WolfQuest Team Member
WolfQuest Team Member

Designing Dens in Lost River

Post by loboLoco » Thu Jul 21, 2022 4:27 pm

Raising pups will be a main attraction of the new, expanded Lost River DLC map, which we expect to release later this year. Those young pups require a protected place in their first two months, of course, and so I've been designing and building dens for them all over the new map. Today's video shows two of them in progress -- both using new den meshes, and one nestled in the roots of a new Red Maple tree. (The City of Lost River planted Red Maples decades ago to beautify their community, don'cha know.)

A lot of players have urged us to allow wolves to den in buildings or even in a dog house but wild wolves would be unlikely to feel safe in confined spaces with large entrances like human doorways. The long tunnels of wolf dens provide far better defense. Most dens will be typical rock, dirt burrow, or tree-root dens, but there will be some more unusual dens, such as one shared in today's video. The new, expanded Lost River map is a re-imagining of the Classic Lost River map so there will be lots of familiar places but also completely new things to discover!

The WolfQuest saga will continue! Stay tuned for more news about it and other new features in upcoming devblogs!

Once the game is completed on PC/Mac, we will turn our attention to other platforms.

We do not announce specific release dates. We will release them when they are ready.
Dave/loboLoco
WolfQuest Game Producer

DinoDogDude209
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Re: Designing Dens in Lost River

Post by DinoDogDude209 » Mon Aug 22, 2022 9:34 am

This is all really cool stuff! I think it's interesting that Hank's Ditch is going to be unfinished in this version of the map, I wonder what other things are going to be different in the new Lost River map. I like seeing areas that were under construction prior to the town being abandoned, there was an area like that in one of the neighborhoods in the Classic Lost River map, and I always thought that was pretty cool. In any real town, you'd definitely have areas under construction at any given time, and seeing that in games helps to make the game world feel more realistic. It'll be really cool to have a den in that sort of area.

I think it's really awesome that a new tree species is being included in the new map, Red Maples are beautiful trees (they're a common tree where I live) and having ornamental trees left behind in Lost River will help to enhance the abandoned feeling. A den under one of those trees will definitely make for a unique den! That den underneath the truck is pretty cool too, definitely another unique and interesting one. It'll definitely be fun to look for dens in Lost River and see how different they all are from one another.

Also, are those new tree models along that lower part of the creek? I'm talking about the broad-leaved ones with the thin white trunks. They look a bit like the aspen trees we have in the game now, but they're not quite the same. Is that another new tree species? I'm wondering because those trees definitely don't look like any tree models we currently have in the game.

Edit: I went and played the game for a little bit, because I wanted to see if I could find any trees in the game that look like the ones in this video. I'm pretty sure the ones in this video are just the normal aspen trees we currently have in the game.
I'm not sure why I thought they weren't - maybe they're using different shaders or slightly different models in this video? I'm not sure. Anyway, it's not a big deal, I was probably just taking a minor difference way too seriously.

loboLoco
WolfQuest Team Member
WolfQuest Team Member

Post by loboLoco » Thu Sep 01, 2022 10:28 am

Good eye! In fact we do have new aspens!
Dave/loboLoco
WolfQuest Game Producer

DinoDogDude209
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by DinoDogDude209 » Sun Sep 04, 2022 6:00 am

loboLoco wrote:
Thu Sep 01, 2022 10:28 am
Good eye! In fact we do have new aspens!
Cool, I knew they didn't look quite the same! The new aspens look really good, and I think they look more realistic than the old ones. With the presence of both Red Maples and the new aspens, I'm sure that Lost River will look incredible in the Fall!