Busy as Beavers in Lost River

Find out what we're doing and thinking as we develop WolfQuest 3: Anniversary Edition and the Tower Fall expansion!

Moderators: Neamara, Koa

loboLoco
WolfQuest Team Member
WolfQuest Team Member

Busy as Beavers in Lost River

Post by loboLoco » Thu Jun 30, 2022 1:30 pm

While Tommi works on the improved AI system and Mikko refactors multiplayer code and Andrei tackles various minor game features and improvements, I've been focused on Lost River -- the upcoming, greatly expanded version of Lost River which we will release later this year as DLC. There's plenty to do on it -- setting up all the seasons, refining the terrain and points of interest, creating an interesting variety of dens, and working with artists on new....features....in Lost River.

This week I've also been adding beaver artifacts to the game map. The main beaver dam and the pond that flooded Allison Acres are already in place, but there should be more beavers busy at work elsewhere, so I've now added several new dams, lodges, and ponds. Today's devblog video shows the construction of one of those, along with an improved water shader that adjusts water speed based on slope. As always, it's the little things that make a difference. We're also getting the next patch ready to release into public beta -- look for it soon!

The WolfQuest saga will continue! Stay tuned for more news in upcoming devblogs. More maps and wolf customizations are also coming in 2022!

Once the game is completed on PC/Mac, we will turn our attention to other platforms.

We do not announce specific release dates. We will release them when they are ready.
Dave/loboLoco
WolfQuest Game Producer

-Wolfdog-
Yearling
Yearling
Name: Wolf

Re: Busy as Beavers in Lost River

Post by -Wolfdog- » Thu Jun 30, 2022 1:57 pm

It’s great to see how the beavers are coming along, Lost River looks pretty similar to Slough Creek which is neat, in the older version it was more dry desert.

TNR Wolf
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf
Name: Éalaigh

Post by TNR Wolf » Sat Jul 02, 2022 8:53 am

It'll be very interesting to finally see Lost River during winter as well as seeing all the dens that would be available around the map. Love how the progress is going so far.

-Wolfdog-
Yearling
Yearling
Name: Wolf

Post by -Wolfdog- » Sat Jul 16, 2022 12:49 pm

Slightly off-topic, but I'd love to see any updates on the adolescent/older pup models!

DinoDogDude209
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by DinoDogDude209 » Tue Jul 19, 2022 11:08 am

It's nice to see that there's going to be more locations with beavers in Lost River - I always felt like Lost River's status as a place abandoned by humans makes it seem like an ideal place for beavers to live in. They really fit in well there. I like to think that beavers moved into the area just before it was abandoned by humans, leaving the beavers to take over and build their dams wherever they wanted.

I think it's really cool to see how these environmental phenomena are added to the game map in the development process. I also think it's really cool to get a sneak peek at a wilderness area in the new Lost River map, since the abandoned town took up so much of the original Lost River map. That being said, I'm definitely looking forward to seeing what the town looks like in the expanded map, and I hope to see many of the original human impacts from the Classic map in the expanded version. I also like the way that the landscape looks, I think it's cool to see how mountainous and rugged the new map is, compared to the old version. This is all really cool, and it makes me very excited for the new Lost River map to be released!