WolfQuest on Steam Deck

Find out what we're doing and thinking as we develop WolfQuest 3: Anniversary Edition and the Tower Fall expansion!

Moderators: Neamara, Koa

loboLoco
WolfQuest Team Member
WolfQuest Team Member

WolfQuest on Steam Deck

Post by loboLoco » Fri Mar 04, 2022 4:46 pm

To be honest, releasing WolfQuest on Steam Deck was not at the front of our thoughts since we are so busy. We'd been following Steam Deck progress since Valve announced it last summer. I submitted a devkit request, but I figured getting the game running on Steam Deck was going to be a fair bit of work, so it would not be something we would tackle for quite awhile . (As you know, we are focusing on getting the game done for PC and Mac before considering other platforms. )

But then Valve sent us a devkit (a sample device) in January and we tried WolfQuest on it. We were pleasantly surprised that the game ran quite well right out of the box! There was definitely some work that needed to be done for the controller support and to manage the three different input types that the Deck offers (thumbsticks, trackpads, and touchscreen). That took Andrei a few weeks of work, but as of the latest patch, 1.0.8h, we are pleased that Steam Deck users can play WolfQuest.

We know a lot of you are probably thinking, Hey! What about mobile or console? Are you working on these too? The answer is still no, not right now. Those platforms all will require many, many months of development time from the whole team. So, not until the game is completed on PC/Mac, will we have time to turn our attention to other platforms.

We look forward to hearing how Steam Deck users find playing WolfQuest: Anniversary Edition. It does seem like a nice option for people who don't want to spend what it takes to get a computer that runs modern games well or just want a handheld gaming console that can play many or most games in their Steam library. If you want to learn more about the Steam Deck, here is Valve's website about it: https://store.steampowered.com/steamdeck

The WolfQuest saga will continue! Stay tuned for more news in upcoming devblogs. More maps and wolf customizations are also coming in 2022!

Once the game is completed on PC/Mac, we will turn our attention to other platforms.

We do not announce specific release dates. We will release them when they are ready.
Dave/loboLoco
WolfQuest Game Producer

-Wolfdog-
Yearling
Yearling
Name: Wolf

Re: WolfQuest on Steam Deck

Post by -Wolfdog- » Fri Mar 04, 2022 7:39 pm

I have to admit, I had no idea Steam Deck was a thing :| , but seeing it play so flawlessly looks amazing! I can almost see how it'll look on mobile devices and it'll be super helpful when on a road trip, perhaps?

Kitsuhime
Pup
Pup
Name: Asuna, Kitsu

Re: WolfQuest on Steam Deck

Post by Kitsuhime » Sat Mar 05, 2022 10:52 am

Regardless, that's amazing progress, as people may opt for steam deck before console or mobile.
Can't wait for more updates on y'alls' side. Thank you for all of your hard work! :wolf: