Courtship and Territory Improvements

Find out what we're doing and thinking as we develop WolfQuest 3: Anniversary Edition and the Tower Fall expansion!

Moderators: Neamara, Koa

loboLoco
WolfQuest Team Member
WolfQuest Team Member

Courtship and Territory Improvements

Post by loboLoco » Fri Feb 18, 2022 5:22 pm

The next patch, 1.0.8h, now in public beta, features another nice set of improvements and bug fixes. Today's devblog video looks at two of those:

* Tommi rewrote the courtship gameplay, adding new aspects to it, eliminating bugs, and laying the groundwork for more gameplay to come in the Saga expansion. For example, now when you encounter an interested wolf from a rival pack, you can avoid a fight with their packmates by demonstrating that yours is a peaceful visit. You might also occasionally glimpse dispersals courting each others.

* Territory size affects how frequently rival wolves will attack your pups, but this effect was diluted substantially by other factors, often making it hard to see much difference with different-sized territories. We've revised how this works so now the effect should be much more noticeable. And remember, it's the size of your territory -- specifically how far a rival wolf has to travel from the edge to your homesite -- that matters, much more than the strength of the hexes.

We'd love to get feedback on these improvements, especially on the territory revision, so please use the F11 key to report on your experiences. And there's lots more in this patch as well, which we expect to release next week.

The WolfQuest saga will continue! Stay tuned for more news in upcoming devblogs. More maps and wolf customizations are also coming in 2022!

Once the game is completed on PC/Mac, we will turn our attention to other platforms.

We do not announce specific release dates. We will release them when they are ready.
Dave/loboLoco
WolfQuest Game Producer

-Wolfdog-
Yearling
Yearling
Name: Wolf

Re: Courtship and Territory Improvements

Post by -Wolfdog- » Sat Feb 19, 2022 4:54 pm

I love these updates. The territory update one is making me reconsider my territory size (but I think it fits the definition of a "large" territory). I have seen territory hexes being depleted in unusual areas, or there is a clear path being carved out by interlopers. The update will only make it even more pronounced, which might encourage players to have realistic territory sizes. For instance, if you were a stranger wolf, you'd have no problem getting to a 1 hex territory, but if there was a 30+ buffer I'm sure you'd be deterred. I don't know about you, but hex strength alone personally doesn't deter me as long as I can get to prey quickly— and small territories are perfect for this. An ideal territory is large and strong.

The dispersal one is a nice touch, and I'm glad the wolves aren't mindless maniacs who want you off their turf by immediately resorting to fighting. Since there are dispersals in SC, does this mean we'll get a chance to see wolves courting each other there too, it won't be limited to just AM?