Lost River: Shaping the Terrain

Find out what we're doing and thinking as we develop WolfQuest 3: Anniversary Edition and the Tower Fall expansion!

Moderators: Neamara, Koa

loboLoco
WolfQuest Team Member
WolfQuest Team Member

Lost River: Shaping the Terrain

Post by loboLoco » Thu Feb 03, 2022 12:57 pm

The new, greatly expanded Lost River map is coming along nicely! For those new to WolfQuest, Lost River is a fictional map somewhere in the Mountain West, where....something....has happened that prompted all humans to evacuate the area, leaving it to the wild animals. Lost River: Classic (the OG map) will remain in the game, and this new expanded map will be available as DLC for purchase.

I began working on this last year and have made much progress, but let's take a look back at the beginning: creating the terrain. Like the other Anniversary Edition maps, this is much bigger than in the old game, and in fact (for obscure technical reasons) it's a bit larger than the AE Yellowstone maps, over 8x8 kilometers. That provides lots of room for recreating downtown, the subdivisions, and other areas of the old map, as well as much more wilderness areas to explore and play in.

Today's devblog looks at several steps in this terrain-shaping process. We'll share more in future devblogs (though giving only very narrow peeks at the new map, so there will be plenty to discover when you can finally explore the map on your own). And not to worry, Floppy will still reign over Lost River.

The WolfQuest saga will continue! Stay tuned for more news in upcoming devblogs. More maps and wolf customizations are also coming in 2022!

Once the game is completed on PC/Mac, we will turn our attention to other platforms.

We do not announce specific release dates. We will release them when they are ready.
Dave/loboLoco
WolfQuest Game Producer

DinoDogDude209
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Re: Lost River: Shaping the Terrain

Post by DinoDogDude209 » Thu Feb 03, 2022 1:54 pm

Oh my, this is amazing! I really can't wait to explore the new Lost River map in the game. Lost River was my favorite map in WolfQuest Classic, and I'm very excited to see it being remade for the Anniversary Edition. I'm also really excited that this new map will be bigger than the other maps we currently have in the game, I feel like that's going to give the map even more potential for fun exploration. I hope that the new Lost River map will be able to capture all of the things that made the Classic Lost River map so special, while also expanding upon it and allowing it to live up to its true potential.

I really hope that most of the old recognizable landmarks from the Classic map will make a return. We've already seen that the downtown area and the flooded neighborhood are making a return, but I would also love to see a return of the waterfalls and the dried-up ditch that runs through the map, as well as the watch tower on top of the central mountain, the reservoir and dam at the southern end of the map, the abandoned cabin and camping trailer, the residential areas, and the infamous BCE Lab that Floppy inhabited in the old map. I think it would be really cool to see all of these unique landmarks from the old map make an appearance in the new one. It would just be so awesome to play the new expanded map for the first time and be able to recognize some of the same places from the old Lost River map.

It's very cool to see how the team makes the landscapes for a map that isn't based in a real place. I hope that we'll get to see more of this process in future development blogs. It's a very interesting topic, and watching how the team creates a fictional map is very different from watching the other development blogs about how the Yellowstone maps were made.

I know that the new Lost River map will definitely bring back a lot of older players (like myself) back to the game. With it being a fictional map, and one that is going to be over 8x8 kilometers (that's absolutely massive!) I think the possibilities for it are endless. There's so much potential room for new landscapes, points of interest, human impacts, and easter eggs to be included in this map, not to mention the fact that we'll be able to play the Saga and raise pups there! I think this map has infinite potential, and I'm definitely excited to see more development blogs about it!

-Wolfdog-
Yearling
Yearling
Name: Wolf

Re: Lost River: Shaping the Terrain

Post by -Wolfdog- » Sat Feb 05, 2022 4:43 pm

While Lost River is not my favorite map (I prefer realism), I think with this new-and-improved map it will definitely make me more interested in exploring the vast wilderness and abandoned towns of Lost River!