Better Late Than Never

Find out what we're doing and thinking as we develop WolfQuest 3: Anniversary Edition and the Tower Fall expansion!

Moderators: Neamara, Koa

loboLoco
WolfQuest Team Member
WolfQuest Team Member

Better Late Than Never

Post by loboLoco » Thu Jul 15, 2021 3:40 pm

1) We've finally added cloud saves for user files (game saves, wolves, and family snapshots). Each time you launch WolfQuest, the game will compare the files on your computer to those on the game server and if there are any discrepancies, it will give you several options on how to sync them: merge the latest versions in each location, or push all location files to the server, or pull all server files down to your computer. This is a helpful backup in general, and useful if you switch to a new computer, and should also help in the rare cases when local game saves get deleted or corrupted. (We don't know how that happens, but most likely due to some interference from some players' antivirus software or another cloud sync service like OneDrive.)

2) A wagon trail cuts through the real Slough Creek, and now finally there's one in the game map as well. In real life, this trail is used by a guest ranch beyond Yellowstone's northern border -- with no road access, this is the only way to bring supplies to the ranch. It's also used by hikers, but no, you won't see any wagons or hikers in the game. (Yellowstone wolves mostly avoid people so we haven't included them in the game. But, since there are a lot of people in the park, we do include signs of humans.)

3) In-game message notifications: A small mail icon will appear in the lower left corner for several seconds if you have unread mail when you launch the game, or if messages arrive while playing the game.

4) Each stranger pack has a home hex, which you can degrade but cannot claim. This has caused some confusion among some players, so now, those home hexes have a small dot on the territory map so you can know it’s not worth bothering about.

There's also the usual variety of other tweaks and bugfixes in the patch. We expect to release it as a public beta in a few days, and full release in a week.

WolfQuest: Anniversary Edition is available now for PC/Mac on Steam and itch.io, as Early Access. The game currently includes Episode 1: Amethyst Mountain, Episode 2: Slough Creek, Lost River: Classic, and multiplayer mode in Amethyst and Lost River. (Slough Creek multiplayer is coming soon,.) The mobile version will come after the game (including Slough Creek) is completed on PC/Mac platforms. The next episode, Tower Fall (DLC) will follow. We do not announce specific release dates. We will release them when they are ready!
Dave/loboLoco
WolfQuest Game Producer

DinoDogDude209
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Re: Better Late Than Never

Post by DinoDogDude209 » Fri Jul 16, 2021 3:54 am

I'm glad that these new important features are being added, even if they probably should have been added sooner.

The cloud saving feature was really helpful in 2.7 and I'm glad it's being included in Anniversary Edition now. When I moved over onto my current laptop from my old one, I had to manually move all my game files from my old computer to the newer one, and that was a lot of work just to keep my saves. I'm glad that this won't be an issue for too much longer, I think that'll improve the game in the long run.

That wagon trail in Slough Creek is nice to see as well! I hiked on that trail when I went to Yellowstone a year ago, and when Slough Creek was first added to WolfQuest AE, I was a bit disappointed that it wasn't actually there in the game. I'm glad to see that included now though. As much as I know the WolfQuest team tends to shy away from directly including humans in the game (more so in Anniversary Edition than in 2.7), WolfQuest is set in Yellowstone, and humans have definitely had a big impact on Yellowstone. I hope we can continue to see more signs of humans added to the game to help reflect this better, and including the trail in Slough Creek is a good start. Hopefully we can see some more of the old human impacts from 2.7 (like the old boots and the wagon wheel that were in Slough Creek 2.7) make a return in Anniversary Edition. I also think that the road that runs through Lamar Valley (and currently acts as the edge of the map) should actually be visible in the game world (like the Slough Creek trail is going to be). Slough Creek also has campsites, but these are currently not in the game, and I think it would be nice to see these depicted as well at some point.

The small mail icon when you have unread mail, along with the markers on the map for the rival packs' home hexes, are both good improvements, and I'm glad to see the more little quality of life features like that. Those QOL improvements may seem small and insignificant, but they really do help to make the game feel more polished and complete.

BlackMetal
Pup
Pup
Name: Avenger

Post by BlackMetal » Mon Jul 19, 2021 6:16 am

Thanks lot for including the notification and cloud sync feature! I honestly missed these features, so I'm glad they're finally implemented.

Keep up the good work and stay safe! :wink:

Windstrider
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month
Name: Wind

Post by Windstrider » Tue Aug 03, 2021 1:25 am

I saw the wagon trail on the youtube video, that's pretty cool!