What's Ahead for WolfQuest

Find out what we're doing and thinking as we develop WolfQuest 3: Anniversary Edition and the Tower Fall expansion!

Moderators: Neamara, Koa

loboLoco
WolfQuest Team Member
WolfQuest Team Member

What's Ahead for WolfQuest

Post by loboLoco » Thu Jun 03, 2021 4:57 pm

There are more features still to come for WolfQuest: Anniversary Edition! Tommi and Mikko are working on some deep code overhauls that should improve quality and performance of several core systems including AI and pathfinding. The rest of us have been working on smaller improvements and bugfixes, as well as Achievements. Then we’ll get back into Slough Creek multiplayer, which we know many players are eager for. And of course, the bighorn sheep are still waiting patiently to move into their cliff homes.

Once we finish these remaining features of the game and exit Early Access, we will dig into mobile and start on the next episode,Tower Fall (DLC), which will continue the story of your family pack through the fall and beyond. By October, pups look like small adults as they start the long, hard lessons of hunting and surviving. Your family pack will move south into the valley of the Yellowstone River. There, on the banks of the Yellowstone, with Tower Fall thundering nearby, the pack will stake out a new territory, protect the family from danger, and raise a new generation of skilled hunters.

In addition to Tower Fall, a new, expanded version of Lost River (DLC) will be even more mysterious and intriguing than Lost River Classic (which will still be included in the main game purchase).

We don’t give release dates or estimates — we release new content when it’s ready!
Dave/loboLoco
WolfQuest Game Producer

-Wolfdog-
Yearling
Yearling
Name: Wolf

Re: What's Ahead for WolfQuest

Post by -Wolfdog- » Thu Jun 03, 2021 7:53 pm

Oooo I'm really excited for Tower Fall. I hope that I'll be completed within 1–1/2 years, similar to Slough Creek, especially since all of the basic features have been designed already (water mechanics, trees, animal AI etc). I'm also looking forward to the bighorn sheep in the video and the possibility of pronghorn, Lynx, Black Bear, and more animals on the team's wishlist. And maybe the long-forgotten toads? c; https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tcQ1ant2y0c+

But by all means, please take your time! Patience is key in producing high-quality content.

BlackMetal
Pup
Pup
Name: Avenger

Post by BlackMetal » Fri Jun 04, 2021 3:48 am

I'm really excited about Tower Fall. I'm sure it will be as entertaining as the rest of the game.

Keep safe and healthy! :wink:

Phasoli
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf
Name: EMK

Post by Phasoli » Fri Jun 04, 2021 8:30 am

Gah, just take all my money!

I can’t believe it’s been four years. And here I was becoming really active in the WolfQuest community back in 2017 because of the 2.7 announcement, haha. I can’t wait to see how much more this game will grow, where things will go from here, and what unforeseen surprises will arise. Here’s to another great four years!

DinoDogDude209
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by DinoDogDude209 » Tue Jun 08, 2021 7:55 pm

It's good to see that the game's code is still being improved - even if us players don't think it's all that exciting, it's incredibly important, and this overhaul should hopefully help to make the game run much better. I love seeing just how much the team cares about making the game as enjoyable as possible.

It's really nice to actually see the Bighorn Sheep in the game in this video - even if the setup is fake! It's been so long, but I think it'll be worth the wait when we finally have them in the game, and they'll definitely make the cliffs of Amethyst feel more complete as a whole. I'm sure they're eagerly waiting to move into their cliffside homes! I'm looking forward to seeing some more devblog videos about them. I think they'll help to make the ungulate lineup in the game feel a bit more complete as well, even if we're still missing a few other important Yellowstone ungulates (namely Pronghorns and the big Bison herds). I'm also interested to see where else the Bighorn Sheep will be found in the game, namely in the Slough Creek map. I suppose we'll just have to wait and see. :)

It's so interesting that the 3 month old wolf pup models that are in the game currently were originally made for Tower Fall! That's such an interesting piece of trivia. I'm definitely excited to see more of what the Tower Fall map is like, and this change to the timeframe that Tower Fall takes place has me interested to see what the gameplay will actually be like. It's definitely pretty exciting stuff, because it's been so long since we had any news on Tower Fall, just like those Bighorn Sheep!

And oh my goodness, I am SOOOO excited for that new Lost River map expansion! Lately I've actually been thinking a lot about what Lost River will be like when it is expanded, so it's really exciting to see a rough early estimate of what it'll look like! I hope there's even more unique places to explore, more beautiful scenery, more abandoned human settlements, brand-new Easter Eggs, and of course - more places with Beavers, because they just fit in so well there, even in the current map! I'm just so excited to explore the expanded Lost River map, and by all means, if you ever need more ideas for what to put in the new map, I have plenty of ideas that I'd be willing to suggest! Lost River is quite possibly my favorite thing that came out of WolfQuest 2.7, and I have a great fondness for the Classic map, so I can't wait to see what the Anniversary Edition version of it will bring.

Overall, I can't wait to see what's in store for the future of the game! It's been over four years since the first WolfQuest AE devblog, and yet there's still so much more to look forward to! It truly shows how much of a labor of love this game is, and it feels like it only continues to get better over time :D

Windstrider
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month
Name: Wind

Post by Windstrider » Mon Jun 14, 2021 10:56 pm

I love the bighorn sheep! The map/mission expansions also look awesome. I've loved the expanded Amethyst Mountain in the Anniversary Edition. The map, music, hunting, and just everything is totally amazing! It'll be really cool to check out Slough Creek and see the pups grow up.