Age Perks

Find out what we're doing and thinking as we develop WolfQuest 3: Anniversary Edition and the Tower Fall expansion!

Moderators: Neamara, Koa

loboLoco
WolfQuest Team Member
WolfQuest Team Member

Age Perks

Post by loboLoco » Thu Apr 15, 2021 4:09 pm

Today’s dev blog introduces WolfQuest’s newest feature: Age Perks!

Instead of a standard XP system, we designed Age Perks to give players the option to experience the life of a wolf in a more naturalistic way. You start as a two year old wolf, bursting with vim and vigor, and can now progress through the years to become an elder wolf, gaining wisdom and insight into the ways of the world. The Age Perks system offers a selection of physical, clout, and wisdom bonuses for each year of your wolf's life.

Once a year, you will have the option to advance your wolf in age by one year and select from a new set of perks. On your birthday (in April, just before your pups are born) you will be presented with the Age Perks menu, where you can view all of the Age Perks available at each age. You can select up to three new Age Perks if you wish to advance to the next age. This choice only presents itself once per year, so be sure to think carefully about your decision.

You are not required to advance in age. If you fear the effects of age, you can remain as a two-year-old wolf, or even a three- or four-year-old wolf, for as long as you like. But, if you choose to advance in age, it is a permanent commitment. Wolves cannot grow younger, after all.

Age Perks are coming soon in v1.0.7, along with Ironwolf and beavers:

IRONWOLF: . In the real world, wolves are one false move or unlucky kick away from death. In WolfQuest, you too can live life on the edge by choosing Ironwolf mode when creating a wolf. This is a hardcore mode for players who really want to live the life of a wild wolf. See last week’s video to learn more: Ironwolf https://youtu.be/zWJnK_ogjrM

BEAVERS: Beavers will finally be getting busy in WolfQuest! Look for beavers and their dams and lodges in watery place. Try your skill and patience with ambush hunting, a completely different way to catch prey.

Learn all about the new beavers in these two videos:
• Beavers (Beeaaverrrss) https://youtu.be/YCXUBaZ6SQM
• Another Dam Video https://youtu.be/0mJQr2ZJgpM

PUBLIC BETA: All this will be on Steam in public beta very soon – watch for it in the coming days!

WolfQuest: Anniversary Edition is available now for PC/Mac on Steam and itch.io, as Early Access. The game currently includes Episode 1: Amethyst Mountain, Episode 2: Slough Creek, Lost River: Classic, and multiplayer mode in Amethyst and Lost River. (Slough Creek multiplayer is coming soon,.) The mobile version will come after the game (including Slough Creek) is completed on PC/Mac platforms. The next episode, Tower Fall (DLC) will follow. We do not announce specific release dates. We will release them when they are ready!
Dave/loboLoco
WolfQuest Game Producer

-Wolfdog-
Yearling
Yearling
Name: Wolf

Re: Age Perks

Post by -Wolfdog- » Thu Apr 15, 2021 4:35 pm

I am absolutely STUNNED. WolfQuest 3.0 is truly becoming something really epic and it makes me so happy. I think I'll age up my wolf to 4 years old, and just to clarify age 4 is when they're still considered a "young wolf"? Do you lose the youthful upgrades when your wolf grows old or do they all "add up"? Sorry if this has been clarified in the video, but my sound doesn't work.

Anyway, WQ is really shaping up, you guys have left me speechless to the point where I simply can't express my joy through text alone... well done. Seriously, it feels like WolfQuest 3.0 being released all over again. And perfect timing too on my birthday month, this is a great gift lol.

(But.. it's also kind of sad, because I had a dream last night where I lost all my wolf's progress.. strange coincidence?)
Last edited by -Wolfdog- on Thu Apr 15, 2021 5:32 pm, edited 3 times in total.

EchoLagoon
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf
Name: Karma

Post by EchoLagoon » Thu Apr 15, 2021 4:55 pm

Would age carry over if you wanted to have multiple litters with the same wolf (i.e. starting a new game in Slough Creek with the same mate)? Or would it reset when you start a new game?

BlackMetal
Pup
Pup
Name: Avenger

Post by BlackMetal » Thu Apr 15, 2021 6:17 pm

I like the idea. That's a great feature!

Keep safe and healthy! :wink: