Ironwolf

Find out what we're doing and thinking as we develop WolfQuest 3: Anniversary Edition and the Tower Fall expansion!

Moderators: Neamara, Koa

loboLoco
WolfQuest Team Member
WolfQuest Team Member

Ironwolf

Post by loboLoco » Thu Apr 08, 2021 1:49 pm

Ironwolf is a new game mode coming in the next update of WolfQuest: Anniversary Edition! This is a hardcore mode for players who really want to live the life of a wild wolf, always one false move or unlucky kick away from death. As an ironwolf, you only live once!

You can select Ironwolf mode only when creating a new wolf. Then, when you start a new game with an ironwolf, only Challenging and Accurate difficulty levels are available options. (Playing Ironwolf on Easy would be rather silly.) From that point on, you can have only one save file. The game auto-saves every two minutes, and you can manually save as well, updating that single autosave. If your ironwolf survives the entire Slough Creek arc, you can start a new game in Amethyst Mountain or Slough Creek to continue it's life for another year. But if it dies, it is dead. Dead dead dead. You can visit it again in the My Wolves carousel, but you cannot start a new game with it.

We expect to release this update later in April, and it will include Ironwolf, beavers, and another exciting new feature that we have not yet announced. Stay tuned!

WolfQuest: Anniversary Edition is available now for PC/Mac on Steam and itch.io, as Early Access. The game currently includes Episode 1: Amethyst Mountain, Episode 2: Slough Creek, Lost River: Classic, and multiplayer mode in Amethyst and Lost River. (Slough Creek multiplayer is coming soon,.) The mobile version will come after the game (including Slough Creek) is completed on PC/Mac platforms. The next episode, Tower Fall (DLC) will follow. We do not announce specific release dates. We will release them when they are ready!
Dave/loboLoco
WolfQuest Game Producer

-Wolfdog-
Yearling
Yearling
Name: Wolf

Re: Ironwolf

Post by -Wolfdog- » Thu Apr 08, 2021 2:19 pm

Wow, that's really cool but at the same time sad and scary, especially with the word "dead" next to their name! I personally will not use my best wolves on ironwolf, but I would definitely like to give it a try. It's seriously incredible that you guys managed to capture the entire life and ultimate tragedy of a real wolf— death. I'll keep my eyes peeled for the upcoming April updates, but I have a feeling there'll be bighorn sheep involved by any chance as the 'surprise'? :shock:

DinoDogDude209
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by DinoDogDude209 » Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:39 am

This is definitely going to be an interesting mode for all those hardcore WolfQuest players out there. Not being able to choose "easy" as a difficulty option will definitely raise the stakes quite a lot in the game. The fact that you can only have one save file is going to force players to play realistically. No more starting a second save file in Lost River with the same wolf, you'll have to delete your existing save file and start all over again to switch between the maps. No more backup saves, no second chances or reloading the save if you do die, and no more quicksaving before you do something risky. The stakes will be higher in this mode, and players will have to actually play like a real wolf. If/when achievements are added to the game, I hope we'll be able to get a new achievement called "The Wolf of Steel" for completing the full Slough Creek story arc with an Ironwolf.

Now, what I'm interested in, is whether Ironwolf will work at all in multiplayer. I doubt that it would, since multiplayer isn't really made with this sort of feature in mind, but I figured that it wasn't a good idea to just assume that. In addition, if Ironwolf is not possible in multiplayer, will there be a different hardcore mode for multiplayer, with no quick heal or respawning? Could that possibly be what the "unannounced feature" is? :shock:
(That last question is a rhetorical question, don't take it too seriously :lol: )

As a side note, I hope that when players get to choose whether their playable pups will be Ironwolves or not, there will be a confirmation popup when the player picks yes or no (basically saying "Are you sure you want to make this wolf into an Ironwolf?). Because I would hate to accidentally set one of my grown pups as an Ironwolf if I didn't mean to, or vice versa.

That mention of the unannounced feature at the end of the devblog was quite cheeky. You really left us on a cliffhanger, and now I can't wait to see what that new feature is! Judging by the fact that it's still unannounced, I'm guessing that it's something big that the team wants to surprise us all with. (I don't actually think that it will be a hardcore multiplayer feature, I doubt that the team would be this secretive about it if that was the case). It's good to know that this big new update will be coming in late April, I can't wait to read the patch notes!

Jeames
Name: Jeames, Jea

Post by Jeames » Wed Apr 14, 2021 5:57 am

This is definitely a neat new option added to the game. It adds that extra feel of realism without it becoming a mandatory thing. Something nice to play for the hardcore realism players, haha.

I am pretty sure that like many, I won't be using it for my favorite wolf characters, but I'll definitely make some new temporary ones for it and try out the new mode with those.

BlackMetal
Pup
Pup
Name: Avenger

Post by BlackMetal » Sat Apr 17, 2021 5:19 am

This post is a bit late, but at this point I want to mention that I like the idea of that feature. It makes the game more realisitc.

Keep safe and healthy! :wink: