Beavers (Beeaaverrrss)

Find out what we're doing and thinking as we develop WolfQuest 3: Anniversary Edition and the Tower Fall expansion!

Moderators: Neamara, Koa

loboLoco
WolfQuest Team Member
WolfQuest Team Member

Beavers (Beeaaverrrss)

Post by loboLoco » Thu Apr 01, 2021 5:44 pm

Beavers are coming along. It turns out they are more complicated than one might expect. First of all, they are semi-aquatic so their movement patterns and behaviors are different than all the other WolfQuest animals — as is how wolves hunt them. We are drawing on recent discoveries by the Voyageurs Wolf Project about wolf predation on beavers, which means a new hunting mode: ambush! As always, Tommi is crafting the balance of naturalistic behavior and fun gameplay. Beavers should be ready to release…pretty soon!

Learn more about how wolves hunt beavers from the Voyageur Wolf Project: https://www.voyageurswolfproject.org/project-updates
Can beavers see wolves waiting in ambush? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9QppHDdf7o
Trent Stangers video of a wolf attacking a beaver: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LlYYQz8vitg&t=43s

WolfQuest: Anniversary Edition is available now for PC/Mac on Steam and itch.io, as Early Access. The game currently includes Episode 1: Amethyst Mountain, Episode 2: Slough Creek, Lost River: Classic, and multiplayer mode in Amethyst and Lost River. (Slough Creek multiplayer is coming soon,.) The mobile version will come after the game (including Slough Creek) is completed on PC/Mac platforms. The next episode, Tower Fall (DLC) will follow. We do not announce specific release dates. We will release them when they are ready!
Dave/loboLoco
WolfQuest Game Producer

BlackMetal
Pup
Pup
Name: Avenger

Re: Beavers (Beeaaverrrss)

Post by BlackMetal » Fri Apr 02, 2021 11:32 am

It's super exciting that beavers are coming. Maybe I should practice this hunting mode a bit before the beavers come. :lol:

Keep safe and healthy! :wink:

DinoDogDude209
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by DinoDogDude209 » Sun Apr 04, 2021 6:57 pm

It's so cool to see the unique behaviors that the beavers will have, I honestly can't wait to see them in the game! I wonder how much food a beaver will provide if you actually manage to kill one? They are pretty hefty rodents, I'd expect them to have a similar food value to a young elk calf in Slough Creek, maybe a little bit less than that.

These beavers are definitely going to add a bit more variety in prey, as well as some diversity in the hunting gameplay in WolfQuest. We have a decent number of prey animals in the game now, but even with the small baby ungulates in Slough Creek, there's still a lack of smaller prey animals in the game, and I think these beavers will be a step in the right direction toward having more diversity in small prey in the game. Hopefully someday we can get even more small prey animals in the game, to help add even more variety in small prey animals.
That huge beaver at the end is pretty unsettling, that sure would be shocking to see in the game! I wonder if a giant beaver will eventually join Floppy in Lost River as another misfit creature contained within the locked gates of the BCE facility. :wink:

Happy Easter to the WolfQuest team!

-Wolfdog-
Yearling
Yearling
Name: Wolf

Post by -Wolfdog- » Thu Apr 08, 2021 2:50 pm

I probably missed this in the video and would like some clarification—but is the ambush feature exclusive to hunting beavers only, or can it be applied to a variety of prey?