Is This Bugging You?

Find out what we're doing and thinking as we develop WolfQuest 3: Anniversary Edition and the Tower Fall expansion!

Moderators: Neamara, Koa

loboLoco
WolfQuest Team Member
WolfQuest Team Member

Is This Bugging You?

Post by loboLoco » Thu Feb 25, 2021 6:38 pm

We got a suggestion from a player that it would be cool to add a special animation for the way elk sometimes pull their heads up and back when they are alarmed and fleeing wolves. We were perplexed because this is already included in the game. But no, it turns out that this animation stopped working sometime ago and no one had caught that. So, it’s back in the game now…. And now we are getting bug reports that the elk look weird when they run! So, that’s not a bug.

But why do elk hold their heads that way sometimes? As Dr. Dan Stahler, one of our game advisors, explains:

“Elk head position during wolf pursuit probably serves a couple purposes - although these are somewhat speculative because I don't think there's any real data per se. One, due to position of their eyes on the sides of their head, it's thought to provide a little better vision on the field of view behind them when they tilt their head back. This may help with tracking the pursuing predator to anticipate evasive maneuvers or need to kick.

"When the head tilt is exaggerated, it usually accompanies a high stepping prance. This is more akin to the honest signaling you see in stotting mule deer, or the African ungulates like springbok, gazelle, etc. These are energetically costly movements for these animals, but the ability to do it is thought to be an advertisement of body condition that may cause a pursuing predator to gauge probability of capture (and risks associated with trying to do so).”

This week also released Patch v1.0.6m with lots of improvements and bug fixes. You can see all the patch notes and updates here: https://support.wolfquest.org/help/patc ... ry-edition

Finally, we love all the WolfQuest screenshots people post on social media!  Most people turn off the HUD for better pictures. But we actually need some shots showing gameplay with the HUD displayed. We will select our favorites to promote the game — and those players will get a free DLC pack (WQ soundtrack or the upcoming Yellowstone coat pack) in appreciation. We are looking for screenshots in Fantastic or Glorious graphics quality, 1920x1080 resolution. Please email them to info@wolfquest.org— and thanks!

WolfQuest: Anniversary Edition is available now for PC/Mac on Steam and itch.io, as Early Access. The game currently includes Episode 1: Amethyst Mountain, Episode 2: Slough Creek, Lost River: Classic, and multiplayer mode in Amethyst and Lost River. (Slough Creek multiplayer is coming soon,.) The mobile version will come after the game (including Slough Creek) is completed on PC/Mac platforms. The next episode, Tower Fall (DLC) will follow. We do not announce specific release dates. We will release them when they are ready!
Dave/loboLoco
WolfQuest Game Producer

BlackMetal
Pup
Pup
Name: Avenger

Re: Is This Bugging You?

Post by BlackMetal » Fri Feb 26, 2021 6:24 am

For me, it doesn't look like a bug. Of course I was a bit perplexed about this animation first, but it's cool watching them running and see the elk's heads like this when you know because of what they run like this.

To be honest, I didn't realize that this animation (sometimes) wasn't working anymore. Maybe it's because I don't see or I rarely see any bugs.

Keep safe and healthy! :wink:

DinoDogDude209
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Re: Is This Bugging You?

Post by DinoDogDude209 » Fri Feb 26, 2021 2:09 pm

Thank you for the clarification! I was playing the other day and was really confused about why the elk were tilting their heads up while running. I'll definitely also try to get some more nice screenshots for the team, hopefully I can get some nice ones!

By the way, since it was briefly mentioned in the devblog, how much will that new wolf coats DLC cost when it is released? :?: