Squeaks & Tweaks

Find out what we're doing and thinking as we develop WolfQuest 3: Anniversary Edition and the Tower Fall expansion!

Moderators: Neamara, Koa

loboLoco
WolfQuest Team Member
WolfQuest Team Member

Squeaks & Tweaks

Post by loboLoco » Thu Dec 03, 2020 3:49 pm

One of the true pleasures of WolfQuest game development is learning about wolf ecology directly from some of the top experts in the world. We’re honored to have Dave Mech, Dan Stahler, Dan MacNulty, and Lori Schmidt as our advisers. Fairly recently, Tom Gable, who is project lead at the Voyageurs Wolf Project, agreed to be an advisor as well — which means we can send him random questions about wolves and he’ll tell us what he knows.

Such an occasion arose last week when we wanted to know what kind of vocalization an adult wolf would make to call their pups to come out of the den. Turns out there is such a thing: a squeaky-whimper, identified by wolf researcher John Fentriss in 1967. Even better, Voyageur Wolf Project’s trail cams captured video of wolves making this sound, and Tom gave us permission to use that audio in the game. So we’ve added a new emote, “Squeak,” which you can use to tell your pups to come out of the den.

We’re making great progress on Slough Creek on many other fronts as well. We don’t have a release date, but it’s getting closer!

The Voyageurs Wolf Project has some amazing videos on their website and YouTube channel. Don’t miss them!
https://www.voyageurswolfproject.org
https://www.youtube.com/VoyageursWolfProject/

WolfQuest: Anniversary Edition is available now for PC/Mac on Steam and itch.io, as Early Access. The game currently includes Episode 1: Amethyst Mountain, Lost River: Classic, and multiplayer mode in both maps. Slough Creek is in development! The mobile version will come after the game (including Slough Creek) is completed on PC/Mac platforms. The next episode, Tower Fall (DLC) will follow. We do not announce specific release dates. We will release them when they are ready!
Dave/loboLoco
WolfQuest Game Producer

elkhunter123456
Yearling
Yearling

Re: Squeaks & Tweaks

Post by elkhunter123456 » Thu Dec 03, 2020 4:24 pm

I'm totally ok without pride rock. The other rocks are good as well. I'm really looking forward to seeing how it's like playing and caring for the pups in the rendezvous site compared to caring for them with the den.

Zoopal55
Pup
Pup

Post by Zoopal55 » Fri Dec 04, 2020 8:43 am

Looking great! I kind of thought that pride rock might be ruled out for some reason but was not to sure, but that's perfectly fine! I just want an area that is obvious to locate for my pups. Ya'll are doing amazing work, and I am glad you were able to find a sound that works perfectly for going in the den as much as out, that will come in handy!

-StarBender2000 :wolf:

Note: I have not been posting here as I have been posting on my steam account instead, but I will try to put my post down here as well.

BlackMetal
Pup
Pup
Name: Avenger

Post by BlackMetal » Fri Dec 04, 2020 9:25 am

It's cool that you and the Voyageurs Wolf Project work together to make the game as realisitic as possible. And yes, I like the Squeak-Emote too. It sounds great!

Keep safe and healthy! :wink: