Hide and Snack

Find out what we're doing and thinking as we develop WolfQuest 3: Anniversary Edition and the Tower Fall expansion!

Moderators: Neamara, Koa

loboLoco
WolfQuest Team Member
WolfQuest Team Member

Hide and Snack

Post by loboLoco » Thu Oct 01, 2020 1:37 pm

Wolf pups aren't the only baby animals that arrive along with spring in Slough Creek, and we've been working on some special gameplay for the upcoming Slough Creek episode involving the ungulate babies (elk and moose calves, mule deer fawns). Today we're looking at elk calves specifically. In their first few weeks of life, they do not emit any smell, so predators cannot track them by scent. And their mothers hide the calves in tall grass, which makes them even harder to find -- and presents a good challenge for WolfQuest players! If you can find a hidden calf before its mother finds YOU, you'll be able to bring home a nice snack for your pups.

WolfQuest: Anniversary Edition is available now for PC/Mac on Steam and itch.io, as Early Access. The game currently includes Episode 1: Amethyst Mountain, Lost River: Classic, and multiplayer mode in both maps. Slough Creek is in development! The mobile version will come after the game (including Slough Creek) is completed on PC/Mac platforms. The next episode, Tower Fall (DLC) will follow. We do not announce specific release dates. We will release them when they are ready!
Dave/loboLoco
WolfQuest Game Producer

elkhunter123456
Yearling
Yearling

Re: Hide and Snack

Post by elkhunter123456 » Thu Oct 01, 2020 2:10 pm

This is definitely a devlog that I'm going to watch again and again through out the week. I really love these slough creek devlogs. I'm going to enjoy hunting those elk babies very very much. Those other pups are probably gonna regret not eating that carcass :P

BlackMetal
Pup
Pup
Name: Avenger

Post by BlackMetal » Thu Oct 01, 2020 3:08 pm

Normally I don't hunt calves (because of their cuteness), but if my pups, my mate or I are starving, I would hunt those too. Is it weird that I don't usually hunt calves?

I am really looking forward to Slough Creek and I am curious to see when it will be finally released. Maybe I will be a beta tester.

Keep safe and healthy! :wink:

-Wolfdog-
Yearling
Yearling
Name: Wolf

Post by -Wolfdog- » Fri Oct 02, 2020 9:00 am

This is officially one of my favorite updates. It's been awhile since we heard about young calves in Slough creek (since May 2018 I think??).
I love how you're going to add floppy mechanics to the calf carcasses, because that adds a nice, realistic touch. It would be cool if the rabbits had them too, and other upcoming calves like Bighorn sheep.
I do have a question though, will young calves always be hiding in the grass or will you occasionally see them with their mother and/or the herd?

loboLoco
WolfQuest Team Member
WolfQuest Team Member

Post by loboLoco » Thu Oct 08, 2020 4:35 pm

GoldenBeauty wrote:
Fri Oct 02, 2020 9:00 am
will young calves always be hiding in the grass or will you occasionally see them with their mother and/or the herd?
Not until late June (when you're on the Journey mission), and they're a bit older.
Dave/loboLoco
WolfQuest Game Producer