Nice Ice

Find out what we're doing and thinking as we develop WolfQuest 3: Anniversary Edition and the Tower Fall expansion!

Moderators: Neamara, Koa

loboLoco
WolfQuest Team Member
WolfQuest Team Member

Nice Ice

Post by loboLoco » Thu Sep 24, 2020 3:33 pm

After the excitement of releasing of multiplayer last week, it’s nice to get back to one of my favorite things: working on the terrain. While Mikko and Andrei work on bugfixes for multiplayer and Tommi is now deep in testing and tweaking the Slough Creek quests, I’ve spent some time on ice. Ice floes, that is. I realized that we needed a transitional state for McBride Lake and other water bodies in early spring, and that called for some new 3D models of ices floes and chunks. We brought in 3D artist Donovin Peterman to create these, and today’s devblog video looks at the process of setting them up in the game. Perhaps not as exciting as pups, but I think they add something to early spring in Slough Creek as you search for a den.

WolfQuest: Anniversary Edition is available now for PC/Mac on Steam and itch.io, as Early Access. The game currently includes Episode 1: Amethyst Mountain, Lost River: Classic, and multiplayer mode in both maps. Slough Creek is in development! The mobile version will come after the game (including Slough Creek) is completed on PC/Mac platforms. The next episode, Tower Fall (DLC) will follow. We do not announce specific release dates. We will release them when they are ready!
Dave/loboLoco
WolfQuest Game Producer

BlackMetal
Pup
Pup
Name: Avenger

Re: Nice Ice

Post by BlackMetal » Thu Sep 24, 2020 3:57 pm

The ice floes and chunks look so amazing! As the title says, it's nice ice. :wink:

Keep safe and healthy!

elkhunter123456
Yearling
Yearling

Post by elkhunter123456 » Thu Sep 24, 2020 4:10 pm

I love these extra details you guys are adding to the game. The ice looks very.... nice as the title says. I'm definitely gonna try to claim that river in my territory if possible.

SophieTheAiredale
Pup
Pup
Name: Sophie | She/they

Post by SophieTheAiredale » Thu Sep 24, 2020 4:19 pm

The ice looks great! I’m so excited for Slough Creek!

Alright, idea.
How about, when you are on the ice flow, it’s a lot easier to slip and slide. Example, the little sliding animation plays on way less steeper slopes, and maybe if there is only a little slope you can just slide really slowly.
It’s just an idea, but if think it would make ice a lot more unique.

-SophieTheAiredale

-Wolfdog-
Yearling
Yearling
Name: Wolf

Post by -Wolfdog- » Thu Sep 24, 2020 5:50 pm

This is making slough creek look like paradise! I love that.. icy blue water. The floes of ice are revolutionary for wolfquest. These updates always surprise me, and that's what makes Thursday's so exciting.

x1103
Pup
Pup

Post by x1103 » Fri Sep 25, 2020 6:10 am

Didn't see it coming but I like it... the world and the ice are simply beautiful, and these videos about making them are somehow very fascinating even though I don't do such things myself. :shock:

Lewis Pritchard
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by Lewis Pritchard » Tue Oct 19, 2021 11:57 am

A century after its birth, animation continues to evolve. The most exciting developments are found on two distinct fronts