Slough Creek Rocks!

Find out what we're doing and thinking as we develop WolfQuest 3: Anniversary Edition and the Tower Fall expansion!

Moderators: Neamara, Koa

loboLoco
WolfQuest Team Member
WolfQuest Team Member

Slough Creek Rocks!

Post by loboLoco » Thu Feb 06, 2020 5:53 pm

Another progress report on the upcoming Slough Creek episode, focusing this time on everybody’s favorite…ROCKS! While perhaps not as popular as pups, rocks are the foundation of the Slough Creek landscape. The beautiful granite outcrops are what makes Slough Creek so distinctive and so they an essential element in our 3D recreation of the place.

It’s been a struggle to create granite outcrops that look good both close-up and from afar. Today’s video looks at that process. Fortunately, it has a happy ending, after we starting using a new shader in the MicroSplat family. This shader lets us to mix multiple textures for high-resolution close-up views along with overlay textures, which give these large formations the necessary color and definition from a distance. In combination, the effect is amazing and will really help bring Slough Creek to life.

If rock shaders aren’t your thing, just skip to the end for some Slough Creek beauty shots.

If your question is WHEN, the answer is:

* We are not announcing specific release dates — but we are making lots of progress.
* We have released the first episode of WolfQuest 3: Anniversary Edition (Amethyst Mountain) for PC/Mac on Steam and itch.io, as Early Access. While in Early Access, we are updating the game frequently with more features, multiplayer, and ultimately the Slough Creek episode with pups.
* The mobile version will come after the game is completed on PC/Mac platforms.
* We’ll then resume development of the next episode, Tower Fall (DLC).
Dave/loboLoco
WolfQuest Game Producer

elkhunter123456
Yearling
Yearling

Re: Slough Creek Rocks!

Post by elkhunter123456 » Thu Feb 06, 2020 6:47 pm

Wait so has the Thursday devlog video habit started again :D ?
While the rocks are interesting I would also like to get a close-up on the grasses in Slough Creek. Specifically the long grasses as that would be where the newborn ungulates would hide right? Also what would become of the spike elk? Do they become full full fledged bulls by spring?
AND the map is so huge! The jorney is going to be much harder for sure with the new sleeping mechanics :wink: !

Mwitu
Pup
Pup

Post by Mwitu » Fri Feb 07, 2020 12:21 pm

Those rocks are glorious! Little Butte has come so far.

That color-scale on the rocks would make some nice coral reefs for FishQuest. :lol:

I couldn't help but notice the Aurora Borealis in the background, as colorful as ever. I'm not sure I'll want to move my pups out of Slough Creek (until I see the undoubtedly striking Tower Fall map, that is)!

So I'd assume the end message is confirmation that Multiplayer is coming before Slough Creek. The game's probably going to explode with players! :)

-Wolfdog-
Yearling
Yearling
Name: Wolf

Post by -Wolfdog- » Sat Feb 08, 2020 9:17 pm

This game has come so far! Sometimes it looks like real life. Keep up the awesome work WQ team. I love the rocks.