WolfQuest, Graphics Cards, and You

Find out what we're doing and thinking as we develop WolfQuest 3: Anniversary Edition and the Tower Fall expansion!

Moderators: Neamara, Koa

Savagery
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf
Name: Nathaniel

Re: WolfQuest, Graphics Cards, and You

Post by Savagery » Thu Jul 25, 2019 6:42 pm

Ah, it's as I expected. I can only run it on the fastest setting, so it's actually worse graphics than 2.7. ): Perhaps someday I'll be able to afford a decent gaming computer. The mechanics are still very fun to experience.

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Koa » Fri Jul 26, 2019 10:56 pm

rainiepainie wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 7:54 pm
I have a Geforce 930m which, if it were on that list- would be soo low LOL
However if i remember correctly (its been awhile since playing) it runs WQ 2.7 on high with grass n stuff around 40 fps maybe 50? either way its totally playable and great on that setting and it runs a lot of the games i play decently on a good setting. I'm crossing my fingers i can play the game at a bearable fps rate on at least mid-high settings. I'm all about beautiful immersive graphics and its one of the top things im looking forward to in this game!
Im seriously considering getting a new laptop with a better GPU haha

Not sure. I have the 960 and it can run WolfQuest 3 on Good optimally.
Flamesky wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 4:02 pm
My graphics card is Radeon HD 8450 G. I have had this laptop for 5 years and it has some screen damage but it's the only computer I have. I don't mind playing on a lower setting, I just want to be able to play the game at a reasonable framerate.
The Radeon HD 8450 G came out in 2013 and it's an integrated card, so you might have some trouble.

Atiesh
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by Atiesh » Tue Jul 30, 2019 12:54 am

I have laptop with mobile 1050 and game goes smooth on Good settings. But the only problem that worries me is quiet frequent lagging caused by loading of distant forest I assume

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Koa » Tue Jul 30, 2019 2:24 pm

Atiesh wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 12:54 am
I have laptop with mobile 1050 and game goes smooth on Good settings. But the only problem that worries me is quiet frequent lagging caused by loading of distant forest I assume

You mean NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050? I'd think you'd be able to run the game smoothly on "Beautiful" at least, but how smooth (FPS) are we talking on "Good"?

Atiesh
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by Atiesh » Wed Jul 31, 2019 1:03 am

Koa wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 2:24 pm
You mean NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050? I'd think you'd be able to run the game smoothly on "Beautiful" at least, but how smooth (FPS) are we talking on "Good"?
Yes, it's NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050. At "Good" I have 50-60 fps, if I choose "Beautiful" setting fps drops to 30 fps. But the thing disturb my gameplay the most is hitches when the world is loading new area. I was in situation when I am fighting a wolf at the spot where I guess was a border of two areas and running around this place caused game to lag because of loading one or another area. Hope this is not my graphic card issue and in future patches it will be fixed

Frodo1
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator
Name: Frodo/Jay

Post by Frodo1 » Wed Jul 31, 2019 2:18 am

Atiesh wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2019 1:03 am
Yes, it's NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050. At "Good" I have 50-60 fps, if I choose "Beautiful" setting fps drops to 30 fps. But the thing disturb my gameplay the most is hitches when the world is loading new area. I was in situation when I am fighting a wolf at the spot where I guess was a border of two areas and running around this place caused game to lag because of loading one or another area. Hope this is not my graphic card issue and in future patches it will be fixed
There's definitely lag when moving from one area to another. That seems to affect almost all graphics card tbh, I get hit with it with my 1070Ti that can normally hit 60+ on the highest graphics settings. I know the team is working hard to figure out further optimizations, so hopefully this will get progressively better as they figure out additional ways to optimize. You could try playing with settings, maybe? Turn everything down and see if it's better, and then start turning settings back up one by one to figure out which settings are causing the most lag.

Atiesh
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by Atiesh » Wed Jul 31, 2019 2:36 am

Frodo1 wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2019 2:18 am
You could try playing with settings, maybe? Turn everything down and see if it's better, and then start turning settings back up one by one to figure out which settings are causing the most lag.[/color]
Thank you for help! Forgot to try this method, this problem is sure caused by one of settings

thelostwolf12345
Pup
Pup
Name: Scruff

Post by thelostwolf12345 » Wed Jul 31, 2019 12:08 pm

my laptop is a hp stream with only 2 GB of ram so it cant even run the game. I'm gonna trade it in for a better laptop.

do you guys have any reccomendations for cheap laptops that can run a game like WQ3?

Flamesky
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by Flamesky » Mon Aug 05, 2019 12:07 pm

Flamesky wrote:
My graphics card is Radeon HD 8450 G. I have had this laptop for 5 years and it has some screen damage but it's the only computer I have. I don't mind playing on a lower setting, I just want to be able to play the game at a reasonable framerate.
What's the recommended range of graphics cards to play the game at the higher graphics quality settings? I'm planning on getting a new laptop soon since mine is damaged, and I'm trying to figure out what kind of graphics card I should be going for.

Zawki

Post by Zawki » Tue Aug 06, 2019 4:40 am

Flamesky wrote:
Mon Aug 05, 2019 12:07 pm
Flamesky wrote:
What's the recommended range of graphics cards to play the game at the higher graphics quality settings? I'm planning on getting a new laptop soon since mine is damaged, and I'm trying to figure out what kind of graphics card I should be going for.
Here is where you can view the ratings of common graphics cards:
https://www.videocardbenchmark.net/common_gpus.html

It'll take a lot longer to look through, but this page rates more graphics cards:
https://www.videocardbenchmark.net/gpu_list.php

Finally, the recommendations from the WolfQuest knowledge base:
https://support.wolfquest.org/help/grap ... quirements