WolfQuest 3: Amethyst Trailer

Find out what we're doing and thinking as we develop WolfQuest 3: Anniversary Edition and the Tower Fall expansion!

Moderators: Neamara, Koa

loboLoco
WolfQuest Team Member
WolfQuest Team Member

WolfQuest 3: Amethyst Trailer

Post by loboLoco » Thu May 09, 2019 4:04 pm

[youtube]GWzVhfDFGIM[/youtube]
Video link: https://youtu.be/GWzVhfDFGIM

Alrighty, we’ve got our first official trailer for WolfQuest 3!

Making a trailer sounds so simple — just play the game and grab some cool video clips. But of course it’s never that easy. These things need to be quite cinematic, which means a variety of camera angles — not just the standard over-the-tail viewpoint. Such angles can be challenging when you’re chasing a herd of elk or evasive mule deer! The video also needs to be as close to visually perfect as we can manage — things which are tolerable in the actual game are more glaring in a video, and this is especially tricky when the game still has some rough edges that we’re in the process of smoothing out. Nevertheless, editing video is one of my favorite activities, so it’s a lot of fun amidst the frustration.

Note that everything here except the first and last shots (howling alone and with mate) are in-game footage using the new wolf and camera controller. So we look forward to seeing what videos players can make once we release the game….which is still “soon.” No release date, probably won’t ever set one. It’s taken is a long time (longer than many of our players have been alive), but we’ve truly learned how bad we are at predicting these things.

But one day we’ll ask ourselves “Is it ready?” and we’ll answer “Yes!”
Dave/loboLoco
WolfQuest Game Producer

PearlyReborn
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month
Name: Meg

Re: WolfQuest 3: Amethyst Trailer

Post by PearlyReborn » Thu May 09, 2019 4:10 pm

Ooh, this is exciting! I'm so hyped for the eventual release.

poncho0287
Pup
Pup

Post by poncho0287 » Thu May 09, 2019 4:13 pm

The trailer looks Pawesome. Don't care about the long wait even though you say "Soon." :D

YellowstoneWolves1
Pup
Pup
Name: Snake

Post by YellowstoneWolves1 » Thu May 09, 2019 4:14 pm

We're almost done, I feel it. I could be wrong but was that wolf lying down while howling? Will we be able to howl while sitting and lying down? It kinda bugs to have to get up to howl then sit or lay back down.

LamarWolf
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by LamarWolf » Thu May 09, 2019 4:20 pm

This trailer looks awesome and I'm super excited for the release. Hope to play it soon.

elkhunter123456
Yearling
Yearling

Post by elkhunter123456 » Thu May 09, 2019 5:09 pm

This was such a great birthday present! I got also got a laptop and I bought wolfquest for my birthday! :P I love the trailer! I think Wolfquest will come out in the next 3 weeks!

Bushmeat
Pup
Pup

Post by Bushmeat » Thu May 09, 2019 5:40 pm

Does this mean the revamped website is on the way?
What a milestone to reach, either way. It feels a little strange seeing trailers for Amethyst Mountain again in 2019... but not bad. We're in agreement that capturing good video without running into trees is definitely harder than you'd think.

(Also, am I the only one seeing some cinematic parallels to the original? lol :P)

xc92u3

Post by xc92u3 » Thu May 09, 2019 6:25 pm

rEEEE!! I loved how each beautiful scene changed to the beat of the song!
Oof when I come across a glitch that lets me, I will hug and pet that cougar. So fluffy! :lol:
This is so exciting! Thanks for sharing, Dave!
Go WQ Team!

Phasoli
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf
Name: EMK

Post by Phasoli » Thu May 09, 2019 7:35 pm

The game footage is so beautiful! Can't wait to dive into this beautiful new world.

mkaleat
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by mkaleat » Thu May 09, 2019 8:20 pm

Awesome! Will you ever add the pups of wolves growing up after a while in slough creek? :wolf:

Zoopal55
Pup
Pup

Post by Zoopal55 » Fri May 10, 2019 9:07 am

This looks great! :D It's getting closer! Anyone else getting excited!? I might be a little over-excited! xD

-StarBender2000 :wolf:

IVFallenStarsVI
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf
Name: Stars

Post by IVFallenStarsVI » Fri May 10, 2019 12:29 pm

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR MAKING THIS GAME.
I cant wait to get wolfquest in maybe 2 weeks or so :D
I'm super excited for wolfquest 3. The graphics iun wolfquest 3 look so realistic and im sure people will be drawn to the game for that reason. It's really hard to find a wolf game like this with such great graphics and with REAL wolf behavior.
THANKSSSSS!!!!!
I APPRECIATE WOLFQUEST :wolf:

BlackMetal
Pup
Pup
Name: Avenger

Post by BlackMetal » Mon May 13, 2019 8:56 am

I am really looking forward to WQ3! Most of all I am looking forward to discovering the new bigger maps.

LeeMarston
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf
Name: Lee, Sockeye

Post by LeeMarston » Mon May 13, 2019 12:12 pm

The trailer looks very nice and I'm very excited! :wolf: Everything looks so new and fresh.

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Koa » Mon May 13, 2019 4:48 pm

mkaleat wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 8:20 pm
Awesome! Will you ever add the pups of wolves growing up after a while in slough creek? :wolf:
The initial release of WolfQuest 3 will not cover that, but there are plans to include pup adolescence in Tower Fall, which is the planned future expansion that follows Slough Creek.
Questions About Life Cycle
Will we see pups grow to adulthood? Will there be an extended life arc for the wolves, so you can play through year after year, raising a series of litters? Will there be an aging system?

Tower Fall will continue the story of the pack from June to November, when the pups are about seven months old. Obviously, they have a lot more growing to do before the parents would be ready to have another litter! Eventually, we would love to carry the story far enough so it would naturally begin another cycle — I imagine that would be Episode 5. And even with that, the game would portray only 18 months in the life of your wolf, so not long enough for any aging effects to appear. In some ways that’s a shame, because scientists do see significant changes over a wolf’s adult life, as they become wiser and more experienced. We hope someday to incorporate that into the game nicely, but you can see it’ll be awhile.
https://wolfquest.org/bb/viewtopic.php? ... 7#p2505143