Weathering Heights

Find out what we're doing and thinking as we develop WolfQuest 3: Anniversary Edition and the Tower Fall expansion!

Moderators: Neamara, Koa

loboLoco
WolfQuest Team Member
WolfQuest Team Member

Weathering Heights

Post by loboLoco » Thu Mar 28, 2019 3:26 pm

[youtube]nLzjSa-hthY[/youtube]
Video link: https://youtu.be/nLzjSa-hthY

Mark Twain once said, “If you don’t like the weather...just wait a few minutes.” Yellowstone weather can cover quite a range, often in the same day. Our challenge in WolfQuest is to create believable weather effects that make you feel like you are out in the elements (even though wolves don’t mind bad weather half as much as humans.)

We’re using a Unity plugin called Enviro to create all our sky and weather effects. It’s amazing how far this tech has come since we developed the original game. Enviro gives us tremendous power to create realistic lighting, clouds, precipitation, and more. In today’s video, I spend some time tweaking many variables that controls the specific effects in the game, from fog and atmospheric haze to rain and snow.
Dave/loboLoco
WolfQuest Game Producer

xc92u3

Re: Weathering Heights

Post by xc92u3 » Thu Mar 28, 2019 3:28 pm

Yas weather!! Rain and snow and sunshine and clouds eee so exciting!!
Yeah, I've seen games where the weather suddenly switches and the clouds start moving really fast and then the fog sets in and then it starts raining ._. It's really funny when that happens ^^;
Thank you Dave!!!

Phasoli
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf
Name: EMK

Post by Phasoli » Thu Mar 28, 2019 3:41 pm

I'm in love with these weather effects! My friends always laugh at me for wishing that it would rain more in WolfQuest, haha. These new effects are just lovely! The rain has come such a long way. I do hope that we'll at least get some light thunder sound-effects, if no lightning yet. The sound of thunder on a rainy day has always been relaxing to me.

The snow effects look wonderful as well! I grew up in a world with little snow, so it's truly magical to witness it being simulated to such a realistic extent. I really hope my computer will be able to handle these effects.

elkhunter123456
Yearling
Yearling

Post by elkhunter123456 » Thu Mar 28, 2019 3:44 pm

Its not just the snow that looks great the sound effects are astounding! :D I love the fog it is very realistic!

Jeames
Name: Jeames, Jea

Post by Jeames » Thu Mar 28, 2019 3:49 pm

Goodness!
The sounds and the view are so amazing in this video, it feels as if I'm actually outside!
Hearing that rain, I think of my summer vacations spent in high mountain ranges in a small cottage with my parents! ;o;
This is just too amazing! WolfQuest is surely going to be the best animal simulator game out there, in my opinion!

LamarWolf
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by LamarWolf » Thu Mar 28, 2019 3:55 pm

The snow is awesome and I really like it, the clouds too. I have two questions the are 1. Will the rivers and creeks be effected by wind and weather such as during a thunderstorm be turbulent or freeze over when cold during the Slough Creek Episode? 2. Will there be whiteout blizzard conditions in wolfquest 3? Keep up the good work.

poncho0287
Pup
Pup

Post by poncho0287 » Thu Mar 28, 2019 9:16 pm

I love all of the weather effects.

airbones
Name: Razza

Post by airbones » Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:09 am

Oh wow, I never knew a bit of fog could make such a difference. The effects and sounds are both coming along very nicely! I always love when games have dynamic weather so it makes me really happy that WQ3 will not only continue to implement it, but also really raise the bar. That snowstorm is one of the prettiest I have seen in a minute. <3

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Koa » Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:58 am

The fog definitely adds to immersion-- especially when it snows. 🙂

Zoopal55
Pup
Pup

Post by Zoopal55 » Mon Apr 01, 2019 1:05 pm

Wow looks nice! I liked when it was really foggy, admittedly like a lot of fog during a blizzard or a really foggy day, or just have more fog higher up. This looks amazing, can't wait to play with this some! :D

-StarBender2000 :wolf: