Looking for Trouble

Find out what we're doing and thinking as we develop WolfQuest 3: Anniversary Edition and the Tower Fall expansion!

Moderators: Neamara, Koa

Frodo1
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator
Name: Frodo/Jay

Re: Looking for Trouble

Post by Frodo1 » Sat Mar 16, 2019 1:26 pm

Arcturus221B wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:00 am
Dinoman9877 wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:51 am
loboLoco wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:29 am

Actually, that's a quirk that needs refining. Once an elk's health gets real low, you have to bite it on the neck to kill it....but that darn spike kept standing up and running again, so it was very hard to get to the neck. We'll be tweaking that so it isn't so difficult.
I think it's actually good as it is, personally. It should be relatively hard to take down an elk by yourself, especially a subadult or adult, and given the chance to run the elk should take it. But maybe the elk could start to struggle once it's on its last legs, rather than being outright easier to kill by gnawing on its backside: Maybe it can't find the strength to stand back up as quickly, or it stumbles and falls again when it tries to run away, or simply can't get back to running at high speed, making it easier to grab at the neck. It would help emphasize just how hard it is for a wolf to hunt alone, and also indicate that a mate that's willing to pull its weight is very important for your future success, rather than settling for one that just sits by while you do the work.
I second this. Though considering there are also younger people involved maybe have the difficulty settings play into this? So younger players can pick easier settings to help them along while older players looking for a challange/more realistic gameplay can play on higher difficulty and have more trouble bringing down (sub)adult elk? This would also help with replayability as once you get the hang of something, it can become really bland and easy if you can't up the difficulty.
Elk hunts are definitely not going to be an easy feat, but the elk standing up too fast ends up being more of an annoyance than an actual challenge. Don't worry-- hunts will still be plenty difficult even when the elk stays down longer ;)

Gubbio
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by Gubbio » Wed Mar 20, 2019 3:20 pm

I love seeing your updates and where you're up to with development! I started playing WolfQuest when it first came out all those years ago and it's amazing to see how far it's come. The funny thing is I now teach game design and development in Unity, and develop my own projects in Unity when I get the time between classes. So it's always really interesting hearing what Unity plugins you're using and seeing them in action - think I'm going to get some of them for my own projects!

I was wondering if you'd seen the announcement for the Google Stadia platform that's meant to be coming out this year? It's a browser based game streaming service - what's really interesting is that it's hardware independent so you can play high end PC quality games on mobile devices. I wondered if it might be an interesting avenue for you in terms of getting WolfQuest 3 up and running on mobile, complete with all the beautiful new graphics.

Anyway, really enjoying the dev updates and can't wait to see more!

Arcturus221B
Pup
Pup
Name: Arcturus

Post by Arcturus221B » Sat Mar 23, 2019 6:56 am

@Frodo1, Alright, that's good to hear! :D

Watching the video again got me wondering, is it possible to add some fog when it's snowing to simulate more distant snow fall? I think that'll be a nice little touch :3

Mwitu
Pup
Pup

Post by Mwitu » Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:07 am

Wapiti 3F must be a spy from one of the 2.7 packs trying to sabotage everything! :) It looks as if there may be another personality trait on the scale. I wonder if the pups would inherit the levitation skills... :lol:
You're almost there, it's certain. Not too long ago you were all working on starting the wolf fur and displaying the future mule deer, but now you're perfecting those, not just making them. Besides, everyone enjoys watching levitating wolves and elk marching in place! :D