Looking for Trouble

Find out what we're doing and thinking as we develop WolfQuest 3: Anniversary Edition and the Tower Fall expansion!

Moderators: Neamara, Koa

loboLoco
WolfQuest Team Member
WolfQuest Team Member

Looking for Trouble

Post by loboLoco » Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:14 pm

[youtube]CuDFNmpPRiM[/youtube]
Video link: https://youtu.be/CuDFNmpPRiM

Everyone on the team has been so focused, working on various aspects of the game, that we haven’t actually played the game much in the past few weeks. So today, Tommi and I have each been playing through the Amethyst Mountain mission arc, looking for trouble. And we found plenty — not in the form of stranger wolves or grizzlies, but in various bugs and quirks and unexpected things that need tweaking, fixing, and polishing.

Today’s devblog is a condensed video of highlights from my playthrough, particularly the trial period with the mate, the questionably skilled Wapiti 3F. This took me a big chunk of my day because, as I played, I paused repeatedly to examine issues. I even got Tommi on Skype screen-sharing  a few times to figure out what was going on and I created a bunch of new bug tickets as well.

The game is finally far enough along that it is really fun to playtest, despite my irksome mate, that tenacious spike, and the other unexpected details.  Hopefully these issues also have some amusement value, so enjoy!

We really are getting closer to releasing the first episode, Amethyst Mountain for PC/Mac on Steam and itch.io, as Early Access…but no date yet. That will be followed by Slough Creek some months later, then followed by the mobile versions. After that, we will resume development of the next episode, Tower Fall.
Dave/loboLoco
WolfQuest Game Producer

YellowstoneWolves1
Pup
Pup
Name: Snake

Re: Looking for Trouble

Post by YellowstoneWolves1 » Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:34 pm

We're getting closer, I can smell it. I don't have much to say, seeing as it was just searching for glitches and bugs, but don't think I didn't like it. The terrain was beautiful and it was fun to see everything in action. If we pick a mate, will we be able to rename him or her? Or will the name stay the same? Or... Am I not understanding how that works? Eh, it's possible, knowing me.

DinoDogDude209
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by DinoDogDude209 » Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:42 pm

Ah, the many inevitable bugs, glitches, and things that need to be tweaked! I have to say that the game is looking very good so far though. Though I think the mate AI will probably still need some tweaking to prevent the mate from flying through the air :lol:. I also noticed after watching the video a second time that the player wolf has a different coat (I believe it's an updated version of the original brown wolf pelt?). The new snow looks pretty nice too!

Bushmeat
Pup
Pup

Post by Bushmeat » Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:52 pm

"mate underground" hmm....

I dunno, I think Wapiti 3F and I would be a perfect match. I'll gladly do all the hunting if she teaches me to fly.. elk won't know what hit 'em 8)

elkhunter123456
Yearling
Yearling

Post by elkhunter123456 » Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:54 pm

im exited that its coming along well! good job! (poor Wapiti 3F though)
Maybe my prediction of the 100th blog will be true!

poncho0287
Pup
Pup

Post by poncho0287 » Thu Mar 14, 2019 5:00 pm

I laughed when Wapiti 3F was sliding down the mountain also when it was flying in the air. And I just love the beautiful snow I can't wait until it comes out :D

Phasoli
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf
Name: EMK

Post by Phasoli » Thu Mar 14, 2019 5:04 pm

I’m loving how the game is coming along, haha. If that’s the new brown wolf pelt, then I’m in love with it. It must be so frustrating to play through and find all of those bugs, haha.

xc92u3

Post by xc92u3 » Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:22 pm

If we're looking for trouble and not seeing it straight off, then we are definitely moving forward!!
Gosh, that spike's health went down soooo slowly :lol:

x1103
Pup
Pup

Post by x1103 » Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:41 am

I would have loved to be able to call my mate by howling... but yeah it might get complicated since howling has many purposes. Then again we do have two howls so...? :wolf:

I liked it too when you said in a previous post that howling attracts the attention of stranger wolves so maybe I'll be content with just that.

Also, like everyone has said, the game is absolutely beautiful!

Zawki

Post by Zawki » Fri Mar 15, 2019 5:07 am

I like the idea of being able to call your mate over with a bark. I can imagine mates with the loner personality ignoring the bark occasionally, and maybe lazy ones too, if they think it's too much effort to get up and find you.

loboLoco
WolfQuest Team Member
WolfQuest Team Member

Post by loboLoco » Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:29 am

x1103 wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:41 am
I would have loved to be able to call my mate by howling... but yeah it might get complicated since howling has many purposes. Then again we do have two howls so...? :wolf:
Right, actually, we'll use the secondary howl -- forgot about that!
Phasoli wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 5:04 pm
If that’s the new brown wolf pelt, then I’m in love with it.
Yes, that's the new black coat (replacing the original black), but we made it brown so the tinting has some range of effect.

YellowstoneWolves1 wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:34 pm
If we pick a mate, will we be able to rename him or her?
Yes, you can give them a name if you accept them as your mate. (Though I was surprised at how fond I became of "Wapiti 3F" -- the name if not the wolf -- just during this playtest.)

TimberRaven wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:22 pm
Actually, that's a quirk that needs refining. Once an elk's health gets real low, you have to bite it on the neck to kill it....but that darn spike kept standing up and running again, so it was very hard to get to the neck. We'll be tweaking that so it isn't so difficult.
Dave/loboLoco
WolfQuest Game Producer

Dinoman9877
Pup
Pup

Post by Dinoman9877 » Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:51 am

loboLoco wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:29 am
TimberRaven wrote:
Actually, that's a quirk that needs refining. Once an elk's health gets real low, you have to bite it on the neck to kill it....but that darn spike kept standing up and running again, so it was very hard to get to the neck. We'll be tweaking that so it isn't so difficult.
I think it's actually good as it is, personally. It should be relatively hard to take down an elk by yourself, especially a subadult or adult, and given the chance to run the elk should take it. But maybe the elk could start to struggle once it's on its last legs, rather than being outright easier to kill by gnawing on its backside: Maybe it can't find the strength to stand back up as quickly, or it stumbles and falls again when it tries to run away, or simply can't get back to running at high speed, making it easier to grab at the neck. It would help emphasize just how hard it is for a wolf to hunt alone, and also indicate that a mate that's willing to pull its weight is very important for your future success, rather than settling for one that just sits by while you do the work.

Arcturus221B
Pup
Pup
Name: Arcturus

Post by Arcturus221B » Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:00 am

Dinoman9877 wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:51 am
loboLoco wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:29 am
TimberRaven wrote:
I think it's actually good as it is, personally. It should be relatively hard to take down an elk by yourself, especially a subadult or adult, and given the chance to run the elk should take it. But maybe the elk could start to struggle once it's on its last legs, rather than being outright easier to kill by gnawing on its backside: Maybe it can't find the strength to stand back up as quickly, or it stumbles and falls again when it tries to run away, or simply can't get back to running at high speed, making it easier to grab at the neck. It would help emphasize just how hard it is for a wolf to hunt alone, and also indicate that a mate that's willing to pull its weight is very important for your future success, rather than settling for one that just sits by while you do the work.
I second this. Though considering there are also younger people involved maybe have the difficulty settings play into this? So younger players can pick easier settings to help them along while older players looking for a challange/more realistic gameplay can play on higher difficulty and have more trouble bringing down (sub)adult elk? This would also help with replayability as once you get the hang of something, it can become really bland and easy if you can't up the difficulty.

LamarWolf
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by LamarWolf » Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:10 pm

It looks great. When Wapiti 3F flew I had the same reaction as you I was really surprised. I see why you need to bite into the neck because that what wolves in the wild do instead of the leg and I like that feature. One question though will eagles sometimes come done to the carcasses because it is pretty common for an eagle to feed on a carcass in yellowstone. Keep up the great work.

Zoopal55
Pup
Pup

Post by Zoopal55 » Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:07 pm

Oh yes. Wolfquest 2.7 mates aren't that useful. lol I think they also have path finding issues near the secret den as one day I noticed my mate circling around the many bushes close to the den, I decided just to watch to see how long it would last, well my pups nearly starved to death so not doing that again. XD I have to admit in the video, I would have decided by now to reject the wolf as a mate and find another, I do ok in hunting, but have found that I really need help during a hunt. I laughed at how she enjoyed the sliding down the mountain though. :lol:

-StarBender2000 :wolf: