Stranger Danger

Find out what we're doing and thinking as we develop WolfQuest 3: Anniversary Edition and the Tower Fall expansion!

Moderators: Neamara, Koa

loboLoco
WolfQuest Team Member
WolfQuest Team Member

Stranger Danger

Post by loboLoco » Thu Dec 13, 2018 4:31 pm

[youtube]c-FQIk1DBe8[/youtube]
Video link: https://youtu.be/c-FQIk1DBe8

As the game comes together, there is one thing after another that requires close attention and setup. Today’s video looks at stranger wolves, which populate persistent packs in each game map, either in established packs defending their territory or as dispersals who are looking for a mate. The pack membership will be hard-coded in Amethyst, so you can get get to know them over the course of many games, while dispersals will be randomized each time you start the game, so there will always be someone new to meet.

The video gets a rather in depth, but if you stick with it (or skip ahead to 9:56, you’ll see some in-game action with a member of the Lamar Pack. That wolf happens to be rather hostile, but others will be open to the idea of joining forces as your mate and starting a new pack.

We’re still cranking away on game development, and although we won’t have it ready to release before the end of this year, we are making great progress. We recently got our core group of playtesters to start banging on it, finding bugs and making great suggestions to improve and refine the gameplay.

NOTE: WolfQuest 3 will be a free update to players who own WolfQuest 2.7.  If you are buying WQ 3 for the first time, the cost will likely be more than than the current game 2.7 (so it's cheaper to purchase it now and get WQ 3 as a free update). If you want to support the game and help get us to the end zone, consider buying WolfQuest for a friend or send us some love at: https://fundly.com/wolfquest
Dave/loboLoco
WolfQuest Game Producer

MysteryFoxSpirt
Pup
Pup
Name: Mystery

Re: Stranger Danger

Post by MysteryFoxSpirt » Thu Dec 13, 2018 4:45 pm

Wow! The sounds though! They are amazing! Also, what I’d like to see next week is the secondary courtship stage.

Other then that, the animations are coming out well too!

And did anyone see an update to the background of the blog space? Cuz I did. :D

Also, I totally forgot it was Thursday XD. I always get my notification on YouTube, and this time, it scared me! Cuz I forgot it was Thursday!

Carry on with your work, now. I’m always excited to see what you have in store for us. :wolf:

LamarWolf
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by LamarWolf » Thu Dec 13, 2018 4:50 pm

That wolf was not happy to see you, but it was great to see how the packs spawn and to see the fight system in the natural environment of the game. What I would want to see in upcoming blog post would be the moose. Keep up the great work.

poncho0287
Pup
Pup

Post by poncho0287 » Thu Dec 13, 2018 4:51 pm

I'm always amazed on what you guys come up with these new updates.

Mwitu
Pup
Pup

Post by Mwitu » Thu Dec 13, 2018 5:14 pm

Wow, it looks good! The graphics are amazing. That Lamar wolf was definitely not a wolf I would want to run across.
The concept of consistent pack members was a great idea! I'll probably end up naming them when it's released. I also like how the dispersal wolves will be inconsistent; it must be complex making all this work. :wolf:

Itschi
Pup
Pup

Post by Itschi » Thu Dec 13, 2018 5:24 pm

The Wolf fighting looks great and the Environment as well.

I would like to see how to hunt a :beaver: in a video.

YellowstoneWolves1
Pup
Pup
Name: Snake

Post by YellowstoneWolves1 » Thu Dec 13, 2018 5:24 pm

This was a very interesting video. It certainly surprised me to hear that one wolf get mad and start fighting you. It was NOT happy about you hahahah. I have a question, if anybody'd like to answer me. In terms of relationship, will we need to be careful about if a wolf is closely related to our characters, or will it not matter?

Savagery
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf
Name: Nathaniel

Post by Savagery » Thu Dec 13, 2018 7:05 pm

Looks incredible; the mechanics are smooth and I love the fighting sounds. This game is getting so realistic and intricate. I can't wait to play the updated version next year. (Hopefully I can, my computer is a bit of a potato.) Really love seeing how the game is coming along. I see some homicidal pursuits in my future as I try my luck at eradicating the pack.

Beetle_
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf
Name: Beetle

Post by Beetle_ » Thu Dec 13, 2018 7:25 pm

I sure don't mind waiting for the game, it just means more cool Thursday update videos! This looks awesome, and I'm sure it's gonna be fun getting to know all the wolves (all the ones who won't bite my nose off).

xStag
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf
Name: Aki

Post by xStag » Thu Dec 13, 2018 11:09 pm

Oh this looks fantastic! The wolf fighting is really looking much better and smoother in my opinion, the sound effects also make a great difference

Completely in love, hha!

cherie fleur
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf
Name: Cherie

Post by cherie fleur » Fri Dec 14, 2018 6:20 am

I definitely love how this is looking so far. It's worth the long wait and I'd be willing to wait another year! The code behind the AI seems amazingly well done and I couldn't be prouder of how this game has improved so much. :flower:
That wolf wasn't happy at all (and I was impressed by how sometimes the attacks can last longer) and I'm excited to see players develop dodging skills or ways to fight them (or socialize with them)! The scenery and feel to the environment are super realistic and it's achieving its goal very quickly and better than I had expected. Wonderful job!!

Draugr
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by Draugr » Fri Dec 14, 2018 6:00 pm

This is such an improvement! I'm particularly fond of the static wolf idea, where a select few of a pack remain unchanged whilst the dispersal wolves are randomized. The new intense music and sound effects really tie it together. I've noticed the new Amethyst Mountain map and icons as well, which was shown off earlier, but I really like it! :D

I have a question regarding the stranger wolf packs; if we wander far enough into their territory, would it be possible to come across their den site? (I'm assuming that's what the "den sites" icon is for, now that I think about it.) Perhaps they have younger, more vulnerable offspring there? Or are all juvenile wolves usually out and about by the time this episode takes place?

Gillato
Pup
Pup
Name: Vigilante'

Post by Gillato » Fri Dec 14, 2018 7:26 pm

Wow...My Goodness!! That wolf was really Scary, he looked like he wanted to tear Lobo apart!

Overall tho the graphics are amazing! and GoodJob! to whoever did up the website' i mean seriously WOW :D)

44wolfquest
Pup
Pup

Post by 44wolfquest » Sat Dec 15, 2018 4:00 pm

That is so cool! Finally getting rid of those corny old wolf encounters! The sound effects make such a realistic feel to the game! And now the wolves are randomized! :wolf:

SolitaryHowl
Skilled Hunter
Skilled Hunter

Post by SolitaryHowl » Sun Dec 16, 2018 6:59 am

Looking pretty rad so far! :wink: