Energetic Elk

Find out what we're doing and thinking as we develop WolfQuest 3: Anniversary Edition and the Tower Fall expansion!

Moderators: Neamara, Koa

loboLoco
WolfQuest Team Member
WolfQuest Team Member

Re: Energetic Elk

Post by loboLoco » Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:33 am

Coalpawkitten3 wrote:Tyou said that pressing the A and D keys would make our wolf turn , but what about the W and the S ? can we also move forward/backward by using them ?
W is forward movement, as always. S turns you around 180 degrees -- helpful when you want to go in the opposite direction quickly.

Bushmeat wrote:I'm curious if there will be a way to lock the camera behind our wolf and have it follow by rotating as we run and turn using the keys rather than mouse, kinda like the current game. I understand it can be a little clunky and restricting in regards to looking around and having finer control, but personally I'm willing to accept that in exchange for having less fine hand movements to coordinate to keep the camera and wolf moving and pointing where I want them.
That's no longer an option with the new controls, but we understand that some people would still prefer it. Having two different steering systems can get very complicated code-wise (steering interacts with more game systems than you'd imagine), but we haven't completely ruled out adding that option.
Dave/loboLoco
WolfQuest Game Producer

Coalpawkitten3
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by Coalpawkitten3 » Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:43 am

loboLoco wrote:

W is forward movement, as always. S turns you around 180 degrees -- helpful when you want to go in the opposite direction quickly.

That's good to know ! Thanks for answering my question.

Zoopal55
Pup
Pup

Post by Zoopal55 » Fri Nov 02, 2018 1:22 pm

Loving it! I hope it will be more noticeable in the future when the elk slows down, because of tiring. This I always found interesting a wolf pack may take several days just to bring down one elk, they are really patient!

-StarBender2000 :wolf:

Rustic
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by Rustic » Fri Nov 02, 2018 1:40 pm

[quote="loboloco" W is forward movement, as always. S turns you around 180 degrees -- helpful when you want to go in the opposite direction quickly. [/quote]

What about the controller support that was supposed to come with this new edition? Seems all of this new stuff would be a LOT easier to do with a controller than the keyboard.

EDIT: ok...HOW do you quote a user?? I can do A quote by how do you get it to cite the user??

SolitaryHowl
Skilled Hunter
Skilled Hunter

Post by SolitaryHowl » Fri Nov 02, 2018 2:38 pm

Rustic wrote:ok...HOW do you quote a user?? I can do A quote by how do you get it to cite the user??
You forgot a ]. It is

Code: Select all

[quote="name of user"]Quoted text [/quote]

Bushmeat
Pup
Pup

Post by Bushmeat » Sat Nov 03, 2018 2:54 am

loboLoco wrote:That's no longer an option with the new controls, but we understand that some people would still prefer it. Having two different steering systems can get very complicated code-wise (steering interacts with more game systems than you'd imagine), but we haven't completely ruled out adding that option.
I suspected as much, just wanted confirmation! No worries at all- I'll just have to get my hands practicing so they're back in top camera swiveling shape for that Amethyst Mountain early access. Sounds like an excuse to play some more...

ForeverEverest
Yearling
Yearling
Name: Everest/Evie

Post by ForeverEverest » Sat Nov 03, 2018 8:58 am

Bushmeat wrote:You mention skipping the programming talk in the video and the length in the description, so let me say that I personally didn't find it too long, nor boring at all. I don't know about anyone else, but my attention was held fast for 12 minutes.. but maybe I'm a dork :P
I personally felt a bit of an "Over already?" feeling when the video finished. Even with that length, my attention was held throughout the video, too. I'm guessing some people prefer the shorter videos, but I'm definitely with Bushmeat in that I didn't find it too long at all.

I'm loving the look of the tiring system, I think hunting elk will be a lot more exciting with it.

xc92u3

Post by xc92u3 » Sat Nov 03, 2018 2:31 pm

loboLoco wrote: W is forward movement, as always. S turns you around 180 degrees -- helpful when you want to go in the opposite direction quickly.

Woah.
Didn't expect that! Yas this is something I need for pup-care! :D
And I noticed something in the background again. I don't know what it is... sometimes it looked like the elk were prancing on top of it XD

WolfDragonPlasma
Pup
Pup

Post by WolfDragonPlasma » Mon Nov 05, 2018 1:31 pm

loboLoco wrote:
Bushmeat wrote:I'm curious if there will be a way to lock the camera behind our wolf and have it follow by rotating as we run and turn using the keys rather than mouse, kinda like the current game. I understand it can be a little clunky and restricting in regards to looking around and having finer control, but personally I'm willing to accept that in exchange for having less fine hand movements to coordinate to keep the camera and wolf moving and pointing where I want them.
That's no longer an option with the new controls, but we understand that some people would still prefer it. Having two different steering systems can get very complicated code-wise (steering interacts with more game systems than you'd imagine), but we haven't completely ruled out adding that option.
Welp, good thing I've been playing a bunch of Meadow as of late, so I should have plenty of practice for when Amethyst Mountain Early Access rolls around XD