You Had Me at Playbow

Find out what we're doing and thinking as we develop WolfQuest 3: Anniversary Edition and the Tower Fall expansion!

Moderators: Neamara, Koa

Pepper
WolfQuest Team Member
WolfQuest Team Member

Re: You Had Me at Playbow

Post by Pepper » Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:08 am

Bushmeat wrote:Am I tired and mistaken, or wouldn't the lower genetic variation mean that the older female might have had a parent more closely related to the player- not less?

Regardless, the open space courtship looks fantastic :)
Yes, the higher the diversity (the more stars), the better–as this means you are not as closely related (which is best).
sophiaww wrote: I saw that when you look at a wolf it also shows there coat colors but how do you tell the difference between Kk and KK wolves?
For those of you who missed it, you can check out the link to the genetics video in the description for more information about our underlying genetics logic about coat colors: kk, Kk, and KK.

To answer sophiaww''s question, in the game you won't know if potential mates with black coats are Kk or KK (but remember KK is rare). You will, obviously, see the coat color and be able to make a decision about whether you prefer a gray kk (which includes browns and whites) or a black wolf Kk (most likely). You will have to consider the possible risks of your own coat color plus the mate color. For example, you are a black wolf (very likely Kk) and you really like a potential black-coated possible mate (very likely Kk) with, for example, high diversity, displaying the personality you love, and rocking a facial scar or the cutest bent ear you have ever seen... Do you risk the genetic gamble that some of your pups might be KK and likely die in utero (resulting in a smaller litter)?
Pepper
WolfQuest Team Member

Shake your glitter.

Flamesky
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by Flamesky » Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:05 pm

How would you evaluate the genetic diversity of a wolf of the opposite sex? I would want to avoid choosing a related wolf as my mate, would the wolf tell you if you're a stranger or family, or could you tell by scent? That sounds like an interesting new component to the game.

loboLoco
WolfQuest Team Member
WolfQuest Team Member

Post by loboLoco » Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:24 pm

Flamesky wrote:How would you evaluate the genetic diversity of a wolf of the opposite sex? I would want to avoid choosing a related wolf as my mate, would the wolf tell you if you're a stranger or family, or could you tell by scent? That sounds like an interesting new component to the game.
That's what the stars tell you.
Dave/loboLoco
WolfQuest Game Producer

Rustic
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by Rustic » Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:39 pm

AWESOME!!!
This sooo makes me want to play NOW!! lol :)
This game just keeps getting better and better...it will be SOOOOO worth the wait when it finally is released.

wolf8484
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by wolf8484 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:00 pm

Single player looks so much better compared to now! This makes me so excited to play the game again by myself and it looks so much more fun to look for and convince a wolf to be my mate. I’d love the stories one could make this way. WolfQuest 3 is taking my breath away with every update video. I can't wait to play this game! I’m definitely buying Tower Fall as well. I can’t wait to see what other changes you’re making to the game and how single player will look in the end. Thank you WQ Team! :D :fox:

LamarWolf
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by LamarWolf » Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:32 pm

noteris wrote:
Koa wrote:
noteris wrote:This looks amazing! I love the new wolf models. I noticed that these beautiful girls are from the Hoodoo Pack. May I ask what packs will be in Wolfquest 3? I was curious about this since I found out about the unfortunate ends of the Druid and Specimen packs. I’ve tried to find information about packs currently in Yellowstone but I can only find a photo of territories from 2016. So, I’m curious if we could get a teaser of the new pack names?

The game looks great and I look forward to seeing more updates of its progress.
Seems like the Hoodoo pack is defunct according to the same source where you likely found the 2016 map, which also does not include the Hoodoo pack. I usually go to them for wolf packs, but I suppose it hasn't been updated in some time.
It is heartbreaking looking at all the defunct packs. On the bright side, when looking at the current wolves page it looks like the Lamar Canyon, Junction Bute and Wapiti Lake packs are still being spotted in 2018. The last time a wolf from Molle’s pack was spotted was in 2017. Trying to learn more about the wolves in Yellowstone is a wild ride for your heartstrings.
The Mollie's pack has been seen in 2018 noteris, but the breeding female did die this winter. The breeding male will most likely stay in the pack because some of the breeding female daughters are not related to him. Thanks for answering my question loboLoco. Can't wait to see more.

Zoopal55
Pup
Pup

Post by Zoopal55 » Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:47 am

This is so cool! This offers so much options instead of just the original try to impress then live happily ever after theme! XD :wolf:

-StarBender2000 :wolf:

Looks great! Can't wait to play the release and try it out! XD

Noctis_
Yearling
Yearling

Post by Noctis_ » Tue Sep 25, 2018 5:56 pm

I wonder what will happen in groups including both sexes. Will wolves of the same sex fight/compete with the player, or ignore them completely (or perhaps one or the other depending on its personality)? It's also been suggested that the player might be able to coax a pack member away from their own pack in order to become the player's mate. Would a potential mate's willingness to court the player depend on things like whether or not it's alone, how far into the territory the player is, and what its personality is like?
Also, and a little further off-topic, is there any chance that courting a wolf who is traveling with a sibling result in both wolves joining the player (since I know this does sometimes happen in the wild)?

MazelAngel
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf
Name: Mazel

Post by MazelAngel » Sat Sep 29, 2018 12:52 pm

I think this is all very interesting. Will the dispersal wolves try to compete for your attention, and if they have a high heart-meter will they be offended if you try to court with another wolf? And, if I remember correctly, any wolf you choose as your mate won't necessarily be your *final* mate since you need to see if you work well together first, or something along those lines. Will you encounter the same dispersals or will they be randomly generated each time?

Also, Noctis_ brought up some very good points:
Noctis_ wrote: I wonder what will happen in groups including both sexes. Will wolves of the same sex fight/compete with the player, or ignore them completely (or perhaps one or the other depending on its personality)? It's also been suggested that the player might be able to coax a pack member away from their own pack in order to become the player's mate. Would a potential mate's willingness to court the player depend on things like whether or not it's alone, how far into the territory the player is, and what its personality is like?
Also, and a little further off-topic, is there any chance that courting a wolf who is traveling with a sibling result in both wolves joining the player (since I know this does sometimes happen in the wild)?
I think that realistically it would depend on a wolf's personality for both the first and second but these are all questions I am very curious about the answers of.

Mwitu
Pup
Pup

Post by Mwitu » Sat Dec 01, 2018 4:28 pm

This is one of my favorite blog posts because I can figure out what the wolves' personalities are based on their behaviors.
I had a question, though: Since there are the genetic diversity stars, I was wondering - what are the consequences of having a mate with low genetic diversity?
Thanks! :) :wolf: