Shave and a Haircut

Find out what we're doing and thinking as we develop WolfQuest 3: Anniversary Edition and the Tower Fall expansion!

Moderators: Neamara, Koa

airbones
Name: Razza

Re: Shave and a Haircut

Post by airbones » Fri Jul 27, 2018 12:55 pm

Woah! My jaw actually dropped when you showed the snow effect. Those are the kinds of details I didn't even know I wanted until I saw them. Wonderful work and video, as always. :)

xc92u3

Post by xc92u3 » Fri Jul 27, 2018 6:36 pm

Fluffy wolf: SO FLUFFY
Bare wolf: STILL HUGGABLE
Fluffy wolf with not much hair on face: EVEN BETTER
Snow effect: IS THIS A TRICK?
This is looking so awesome!! Literally, awe-some! I looked at that snowy wolf with awe :D

ovedur

Post by ovedur » Fri Jul 27, 2018 9:14 pm

• you never fail to impress me with the progress being made on this game. the shader makes things so realistic, especially with the snow on the fur!

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Koa » Sat Jul 28, 2018 6:51 am

Leafpool1980123 wrote:
IceaPlayzPC wrote:The fur looks absolutely beautiful! The wolves look so fluffy and huggable now aaaa

Note: dont hug wild wolves... they might not like it and they may bite you.
One time, when I was at a zoo (don't worry, all the animals had large areas similar to what it would be like in the wild (for example, the Lions had a large grassy area with lots of sunlight, and a few trees for shade, the wolves had lots of trees, as well as grass), as well as multiple places that they could go where the humans couldn't see them), you could pay to be allowed to meet a few of the animals (only ones that they knew were really good with meeting people we're options, and there were staff there, so you weren't alone or anything). I choose to meet the wolves, and we were allowed to pet and hug them. THEIR FUR IS SO SOFT!
Please try to stay on topic; it would be best if you continued your discussion on the theead below.
http://wolfquest.org/bb/viewtopic.php?f ... hilit=hugs

@ ForestEverest - Not sure if you saw Dave's elaboration on this.
loboLoco wrote:
SolitaryHowl wrote:Re: wet fur. I know other games use a 'dripping' particle effect to indicate if objects/clothes/etc are wet or not (without changing anything else about the clothes). Could something similar be implemented for the fur in WQ?
It's relatively simple to make skin and clothing look wet (and then add particles for drips). Fur is a whole 'nother challenge, since each fur strand needs to glisten -- but the fur strands are sorta like visual fakery, they're not actual polygons. Jorge has a nice "wet" effect for one type of rendering method but it's much harder for the type of rendering method that we need.
http://wolfquest.org/bb/viewtopic.php?f ... 9#p2549667

ForeverEverest
Yearling
Yearling
Name: Everest/Evie

Post by ForeverEverest » Sat Jul 28, 2018 2:30 pm

Koa wrote:@ ForestEverest - Not sure if you saw Dave's elaboration on this.
loboLoco wrote:
SolitaryHowl wrote:Re: wet fur. I know other games use a 'dripping' particle effect to indicate if objects/clothes/etc are wet or not (without changing anything else about the clothes). Could something similar be implemented for the fur in WQ?
It's relatively simple to make skin and clothing look wet (and then add particles for drips). Fur is a whole 'nother challenge, since each fur strand needs to glisten -- but the fur strands are sorta like visual fakery, they're not actual polygons. Jorge has a nice "wet" effect for one type of rendering method but it's much harder for the type of rendering method that we need.
http://wolfquest.org/bb/viewtopic.php?f ... 9#p2549667
Ohh, whoops, I completely missed that! I'm not exactly sure how, though.

The wet fur thing sounds pretty complicated. I wonder if there are any simpler ways to achieve a wet fur effect without it looking too unrealistic. If the effect is added to the game, I can imagine it would look great on beavers, or elk who stray into the river.

WolfDragonPlasma
Pup
Pup

Post by WolfDragonPlasma » Sun Jul 29, 2018 5:02 pm

loboLoco wrote: WolfQuest 3: Anniversary Edition is taking much longer to develop than we expected — that’s bad. But a new fur shader could give the wolf much more realistic fur— that’s good! But now we have to spend more time experimenting and configuring it — that’s bad. But the final wolf will look so much better — that’s good!
Great. Now I'm getting Reader Rabbit flashbacks. Thanks for that XD

In all seriousness though, this entire video just blew my mind right out of its braincase. You have no idea just how much more stoked I became for this update. I can't wait to see it ingame, especially that snow dusting effect!
Seriously guys, please keep up the good work! These updates are what makes Thursdays worth getting excited over <3

Allikat10011
Pup
Pup
Name: Allikat

Post by Allikat10011 » Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:27 am

So fluffy, and I love the snow effects on the fur.

DragonSoul720
Pup
Pup
Name: Soul

Post by DragonSoul720 » Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:24 am

o.O That looks incredible! I simply cannot wait for Wolfquest 3 to be released!!

wolf8484
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by wolf8484 » Sun Aug 12, 2018 3:53 pm

I love the snow effect and was wondering if you could shake the snow off your wolf, or if your wolf rolls on the ground with snow it gets covered in it. That would be really cool to see in the future! I'm amazed by the hard work everyone's putting in the game and I can't wait to play it. Thanks for the update videos. :D