At World's End

Find out what we're doing and thinking as we develop WolfQuest 3: Anniversary Edition and the Tower Fall expansion!

Moderators: Neamara, Koa

airbones
Name: Razza

Re: At World's End

Post by airbones » Fri May 25, 2018 6:06 pm

Ah man, I am so excited for the day/night cycle! I'm really glad it's being implemented!
Phasoli wrote:In some cases, I agree with the Batman idea. This would work more for exploration in my opinion. As far as hunting goes, I think that it would be clever to have the NPC's avoid the invisible walls, so that, in turn, the player doesn't have to run into them.
This pretty much sums up where I stand, although I don't really mind the invisible walls in the first place. The way the game currently is set up, for example, has it so that all the interesting and necessary things like food, strangers, and dens are all more towards the inner parts of the map, making it so that I personally hardly ever go near the walls. After some exploration of the new maps I think everyone would become familiar with the area's boundaries and would know when to start turning around.

Rikpa
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf
Name: Amaris

Post by Rikpa » Fri May 25, 2018 6:30 pm

I love these video updates! Thank you for posting them!

This will be the best update ever :)

Big thanks to you and the entire team for working so diligently to make this game as accurate and amazing as possible! <3

DawnWings
Pup
Pup

Post by DawnWings » Fri May 25, 2018 10:01 pm

The most obvious solution would be to create a full map of the world, so if the player is patient enough to run that far they could go visit the Wall of China, the Eiffel tower, wonder into Africa and attack lions, or find the ocean and die trying to swim across. TouristQuest. :D

Sorry, to be serious now, I think invisible walls that gently push the player and (and prey animals) away is the best thing mentioned so far. A enemy wolf pack that would attack the player at the border sounds like too much work to program than it's worth for something so minor.

RoxasXIII
Pup
Pup

Post by RoxasXIII » Fri May 25, 2018 10:40 pm

The way it's done in the most recent Fallout game is the message "You cannot go that way" pops up several feet from the actual invisible wall. The message is part of the HUD and does not interrupt gameplay, but simply warns the player that they are reaching the map border.

ForeverEverest
Yearling
Yearling
Name: Everest/Evie

Post by ForeverEverest » Sat May 26, 2018 3:29 am

I think it would be nice for the invisible walls to stay as a backup barrier behind another map edge, just in case. I know some players are good at finding bugs, and chances are someone might end up finding a way past the first barrier. That's when the old invisible walls could block their path.

ViperBrains

Post by ViperBrains » Sat May 26, 2018 5:29 am

I"m liking a lot of the suggestions that have been made ^

Personally, I like the plain old invisible walls, it's simple and can make it quite obvious when the end of the world is nearing and doesn't exactly tempt people to want to venture much further.

resanfray
Pup
Pup

Post by resanfray » Sat May 26, 2018 2:57 pm

I personally like the invisible walls. Because I do like to back straight up to the wall. I like to hang out at the edge. I don't want a popup and it auto moving my wolf. I typically put myself there for a reason, I do not want to be moved even if it's just a few pixels. I'll find it annoying and irritating.

I think what you could do is perhaps add a shaking head animation like shaking water off when you get too close to the border. "your wolf doesn't want to go any further." type thing.

And I really hope to goodness you do not put in any large and obnoxious signs like that into the game. One thing I like about wq is the natural things, I do like the hints of humans. But I see human stuff everywhere. I don't want to see big signs in the game like it's controlling traffic.

That being said. I do not hate the game. I love it. I'm just stating what I think.

Invar
Pup
Pup

Post by Invar » Sun May 27, 2018 2:08 pm

My preference would be to make the invisible walls visible when you're near them. Translucent, visible wall, possibly labeled 'end of world' or 'edge of simulation'.

I spend a fair amount of time checking the map to see if I'm at the edge of the sim, or if I'm bouncing off a feature that's just too steep for me to climb. The interruption from figuring out why my wolf isn't obeying the controls is more disruptive to immersion than the break in realism would be.

Also, if you're fighting or fleeing near the sim edge, running into it can give you trouble, but you'd be able to avoid it if you could see it and prevent it taking up precious split seconds. Having it automatically turn you around would probably make that worse, at least for me.

If you're determined to have the edges map to environmental features, and don't mind this particular bit of unrealism, you could block off the edges that don't have a natural barrier with fladry. That's the thing where ranchers string a low single strand fence and tie a bunch of little flags to it, and wolves are reluctant to cross it (probably it's just weird looking to them, but maybe they have a reasonable natural fear of car salesmen) -- check out: https://sciencetrio.wordpress.com/2011/ ... nd-fladry/
From the educational standpoint, having the game 'advertise' non-lethal wolf-control methods would be a win.

PearlyReborn
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month
Name: Meg

Post by PearlyReborn » Sun May 27, 2018 3:16 pm

My personal favorite would be the Batman solution.

SamueWolfSword
Pup
Pup
Name: Samue

Post by SamueWolfSword » Sun May 27, 2018 4:53 pm

I`d think it could get annoying for a player trying to walk along the edge of the map to have the stranger wolf territory dialog keep appearing so maybe it could be set to only show once or have a checkbox the player could check so it won`t show again until the player rejoins the map?

Here is a better explanation:
The player starts walking along the edge of the map but a dialog box keeps appearing, forcing the player to stop or walk away from the edge.
Solution- make a checkbox that the player can check that will make it so that the dialog box doesn`t appear again. Then maybe have an invisible barrier (just like in 2.7) that prevents the player from walking off the edge of the world, yet still allows the player to walk along the edge of the map.

wolf8484
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by wolf8484 » Sun Aug 12, 2018 6:33 pm

I really like the Batman idea, but I understand where other players are coming from and I agree that it would be annoying if it didn't let me turn the way I wanted to go. A question I have is if there will be a minimap you can toggle on or off in the game. (I haven't heard about one but I think it'll be useful, at least to me.) In the case of one, you could mark the end of the world with lines on the minimap. If there isn't going to be one, then I think the Batman idea is the best there is. Only turning if you're walking right into the invisible wall though, not if you're just near it. I think some players would prefer that. I personally would dislike the pop-ups telling me not to continue that way and me having to stop and click it away mid-run. Like someone said before though, I feel like you guys do a great job keeping the most interesting stuff away from the edges.

roguemoon
Yearling
Yearling

Post by roguemoon » Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:59 pm

I really like the Batman idea, but I understand where other players are coming from and I agree that it would be annoying if it didn't let me turn the way I wanted to go.

Regardless of wether or not the game automatically turns you around doesn't matter- regardless, players still cannot continue that way. So I don't see why there would be an issue with players getting frustrated about getting turned around. And I agree that a pop-up every time to approach the end of the map would get frustrating. It would make more sense if you were deep within a pack territory but aside from that I don't think a pop-up should be included.

Personally, I don't mind the invisible wall method. Like Lebron said, players understand the map has to end eventually and really it doesn't take much from the immersion as it's rarely encountered. I think the easiest way to prevent players from encountering the invisible wall would be just to keep the area near the edges of the map uninteresting and plain. It discourages exploration in those area.