Vote for a New Animal!

Find out what we're doing and thinking as we develop WolfQuest 3: Anniversary Edition and the Tower Fall expansion!

Moderators: Neamara, Koa

Which animal would you most like to see added to WolfQuest 3?

Bighorn sheep
44%
Pronghorn
17%
Black bear
3%
Bobcat
14%
Porcupine
22%

Total votes: 292

MysteryFoxSpirt
Pup
Pup
Name: Mystery

Re: Vote for a New Animal!

Post by MysteryFoxSpirt » Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:39 pm

Sweet new animal choices! I chose bighorn sheep, or whatever it's called XD. I also really want a bobcat to be added. It would be a new predator to fend off, I think it would be, and it would be whole new challenge! Can't wait! :wolf:

Paige3138
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by Paige3138 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:56 pm

Its very exciting you guys are adding toads... could you imagine that? A toad XD. And I think its even better we are being asked for our opinion on a new animal! Which is something lots of developers wouldn't do. Of all of them, I would pick bighorn sheep. Many many reasons. One of those would be the variety of hunting. We already in the game have deer, elk and moose, one of those species is fast and agile, and one is extremely strong, the other is kind of in between so really no need for pronghorn, even though one of my favorite animals, we already have enough predators, bears coyotes cougars and stranger wolves, so really no need to repeat the same for the other three and my last conclusion is why we dont need porcupines. We already have foxes, coyotes and hares and soon to be beavers and toads, so really another rodent or reptile wouldn't be nessesary. Also, wolves probebly wouldn't normally kill a porcupine, it would be to risky and far to challanging to kill, than let alone having to get to the stomach to be able to eat it a wolf would have to be ABSOLUTLY desperate for food, and since food is abundant in yellowstone, I dont think that, unless a loner, a wolf would be desperate enough to kill a porcupine. Another reason is bugeting. As you guys have mentioned adding an animal is expensive, let alone all of the other properties. When attacked, pprcupine quills dont nessesarily shoot out, but are rather loose spiky hairs. So if a wolf attacked, just like a dog sticking her nose in a cactus (most dogs are dumb enough to do that twice but mine was :P) a porcupine might leave a few quills sticking out of a wolf's snout. It would cost a lot to have a porcupine quill sticking out of a wolf's nose in the game especially with the movements along with it. It would also cost a lot to be able to even do the quills. My last reason is pups. A porcupine might be a slight danger to a curious wolf, including being injured, infection from the wounds of the quills etc. Where as adding a more common predator, or prey would bring a better challange.

Thats my opinion anyway ^-^ thank you for reading. :)

Mozzarella
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by Mozzarella » Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:37 pm

I went with bobcat because I love cats and think it would be interesting to have another predatory animal in the game. Pronghorns would be my second choice, because they could end up being a nice challenge to catch, plus they look really interesting.

xc92u3

Post by xc92u3 » Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:28 am

Oh, toads! :D
I voted porcupine. It was hard to pick. Almost chose bighorn sheep. The pup trying to catch the toad was so cute; like a cat pouncing a moth. Anyway, amazing work WQ team!!

Zikura22
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf
Name: Zicka

Post by Zikura22 » Sat Feb 17, 2018 5:23 am

Hematite wrote:I selected Bighorn Sheep, though I was kinda close to choosing porcupine. I just think it would be nice to have a wider variety of prey, and new hunting experiences. The porcupine does sound like fun too, but I'm not exactly sure how you would be able to interact with it as a wolf. I guess your wolf could get hurt a little by touching the porcupine's spines, I just think the Bighorn Sheep would be a little more exciting. Maybe they could fight back by headbutting your wolf. It would be fun trying to dodge them as they charge at you, and maybe your wolf could get knocked to the ground or something, which would help make the hunt more difficult. If the wolf gets hit and knocked to the ground, I guess it could stay there for a second or two, kinda stunned, just before it gets up. That way, you'd have to get up, and most likely get out of the way quickly to avoid the next attack. This would create a new hunting experience, involving a bit of strategy to dodge attacks and make sure your wolf doesn't get killed. Sounds like a fun challenge to me. It's just an idea, but I think it would make things interesting. Oh, and I have a question... Can you hunt the toads? If not, what can you do with them? It's okay if it's a secret for now, I'm just a little curious. :frog:
Yes I'm also curious about that and also if they'd be able to swim and disappear in the water & if we could carry them like the hares/chunks :)

Midnight199
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by Midnight199 » Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:17 am

OMG I'M SOOO EXCITED! :D I would love to see the Bighorn because it would be awesome to see them in the mountains and hunting them. But I also think that the porcupine would be cool to try and hunt as well!

Riu123
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf
Name: sophia

Post by Riu123 » Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:18 am

Nice video loboLoco! I'm so excited! (ノ^∇^)ノ

tatd_2217
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf
Name: Taylor

Post by tatd_2217 » Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:57 pm

I think that right now a black bear would be unnecessary because we don't really do anything with the Grizzly we already have. The bobcat is kind of the same as cougars, not very interactive but more than the bear. My top pick is the bighorn because it's nothing like we really have right now- a more medium sized meal (shorter but heavier) but can pack a big punch. I feel that the mule deer and pronghorn have some similarities and I don't think will be as "entertaining" as a bighorn. We see bull moose fighting but the way that bighorn do is such an amazing sight and will really give us a run for our money. A porcupine would be a cute addition. I'm no expert on editing/animations but I've read a little bit about how a predator attacks a porcupine and how they defend themselves and from what I've seen it's not just the porcupine running.
This is what I read: "There are four main displays seen in a porcupine which are quill erection, teeth clattering, emitting of odor, and attack... This, along with the raising of the sharp quills, deters predators. Along with the raising of the quills, porcupines clatter their teeth causing warning noise to let predators know not to come closer. The incisors vibrate against each other, the strike zone shifts back and the cheek teeth clatter. This behavior is often paired with body shivering which is used to further display the dangerous quills. The rattling of quills is aided by the hollow quills at the back end of the porcupine. The use of odor is when the sight and sound have failed. An invasive scent is produced from the skin above the tail in times of stress, and is often seen with quill erection. If the above processes fail, the porcupine will attack by running sideways or backwards into predators. A porcupines tail is also able to swing in the direction of prey. If contact is made, the quills could be impaled into the predator causing injury or death.
I know this was a lot to read but it was just what was going through my head.

Zoopal55
Pup
Pup

Post by Zoopal55 » Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:19 pm

I love the idea of any animal being added to wolf-quest ep. 3 and though big-horns would be cool, I chose porcupines because it will open up a very interesting encounter and a new hunting technique, they way wolves hunt these is cautiously flipping them over so not to be sprayed with a bunch of nettles and then chowing down on their soft tissue(the belly) so they don't get a mouthful of quills not only is this an exciting new hunting technique it normally requires teamwork of two wolves further enhancing the way ai wolves or multiplayer can cooperate! This would be so super cool to see the young teen pups try to tackle this and funny to watch if they get a face full of quills and learn from it, "Here let me help you with those". LOL :wolf:

-StarBender2000

BlueLeopard
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by BlueLeopard » Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:20 pm

Whoa, now that’s a lot of votes for the bighorned sheep. Well, I too place my vote on the bighorned sheep. I feel like this animal would balance the sizes of the equines in-game; the moose and elk being the biggest, mule deer being the smallest, and bighorned sheep being in between. As others have mentioned, they would be the ones to roam the cliffy terrains and mountains. :)

And of course... another reason is that they just simply look awesome, I love those curled horns and fluffy, round bodies. The females kind of remind me of goats due to their small horns. xD Anyway, I really hope these guys will be added into the game! :3

howl-ite
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by howl-ite » Sat Feb 17, 2018 3:49 pm

Porcupines would be pretty cool.

Windstrider
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month
Name: Wind

Post by Windstrider » Sat Feb 17, 2018 4:28 pm

Aw I love the toad model!

And I think bighorn sheep, pronghorns, and porcupines would be the best new animals to add.
Last edited by Windstrider on Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wolvesarelife994
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by Wolvesarelife994 » Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:13 pm

[quote="Tonadoesstorm"]I'm torn between the Bighorn Sheep, because more Prey animals that aren't in the deer family sounds fun, and more realistic to a Wolf's actual diet,

I totally agree with you ! :wolf:

SimplyGreenflower
Pup
Pup

Post by SimplyGreenflower » Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:05 pm

Not sure about the black bears and bobcats, but the other options are all good...could we maybe have them added over time as part of an update or something? Bighorn sheep and pronghorn are good for prey items.

But porcupines would be good for experience. Unfortunately, wolf pups can be VERY curious and being struck by quills can be fatal for a wolf of any age. But they are a source of food and I am sure there are ways that one could be brought down by a wolf. It would be a great thing to do.

DaniBeez

Post by DaniBeez » Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:36 pm

I voted for bighorn sheep, for reasons already mentioned by other users.