New Tricks for the Pack: Improving MP functionality

Find out what we're doing and thinking as we develop WolfQuest 3: Anniversary Edition and the Tower Fall expansion!

Moderators: Neamara, Koa

Savann_aaahhh
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf
Name: Sav

Re: New Tricks for the Pack: Improving MP functionality

Post by Savann_aaahhh » Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:23 pm

Maybe make challenges for players to complete in multiplayer mode,like kill X amount of prey in a set time, or certain scenarios, like a bad year for elk and having to figure out how to get enough food, or enable the NPC packs on multiplayer and your server pack has to stake out its own territory, etc. Multiplayer tends to get boring after a while for those of us who are not interested in RPs (or at least, I'm not interested in most of them since I've been playing this game on and off for years and now I'm in college .... so joining a server with much younger, less verbose players is Not Interesting to me and also a little weird!)

Loach
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month
Name: Jess

Post by Loach » Thu Jan 31, 2019 4:04 am

I think a sort of little results thing after a hunt or confrontation with other animals would be nice! Not the sort of grading scale kind but more just a simple "who landed the first blow, who did the most damage, who landed the killing blow". ETC.

A sort of page that shows the tally of things each individual players have done within that specific session would also be cool. They could be a nice way to see each player's personalities/playstyle preferences and serve as tally boards for impromptu 'hunt x things' games.

Daedalus101
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by Daedalus101 » Sat Mar 30, 2019 2:29 pm

So when i play the game in multiplayer, there is no set leaders of the pack except me or whos ever the server is. And the pups colors useully are brown because the mass of players, so what if the owner of the server got to pick who is the other alpha and the colors of the pups are based off them?

SheWolf17
Pup
Pup
Name: SheWolf

Post by SheWolf17 » Tue May 14, 2019 7:06 am

As I've heard that multiplayer may not come along with the update. I think some suggestions for the future are good.

I think it would be good some kind of "Roleplay mode" or something. In this mode there would be a grouping system, we can take The Isle game as an example, when a player of the same species invites you to group, you accept and can enter into private chats with that group/herd, and see their nametags only. I think it would be a nice thing to add something like that in multiplayer because I've always seen servers like "Pack VS Pack RP" and "Realistic Pack RP". The way that would be good is in this mode the pack leader can invite you to its pack, if you accepts (of course if you're without a pack), you can see their nametags/pack name and start a "local/pack chat", that is, only with the members of your group (private chats and the public/global), so if the member was not from its pack, you could freely bite/kill the other player or other wolves from the rival group. I believe that the territory system will be more dynamic and this would be a good option for servers that seek the realism, then it would only be on roleplay servers on any map, also some pack limit would be nice considering the amount of players a server can handle and add varying limits.

Another interesting thing would be the fact of the pups (which I mentioned a few months ago but did not exemplify).
In 2.7, any player can have pups in multiplayer, regardless of gender (male and female). The pups simply appear as soon as you mark territory, so it would be more realistic to add a mandatory way in which it is necessary to have at least one adult male and one female per server, and thus being the breeding pair of the pack.
It could even benefit from several players' suggestion to be a pup: where could you have a cutscene of you newborn in the den (just for player distraction, lol), showing the environment or at least one type of Mission Stats, where the player will see in which mission the parents would be (find the den, mark territory, etc.), from the moment the parents mark territory, the player can already be a pup normally, I do not know if this is something easy but there could be a system of growth in future episodes, if the pup dies it cannot return pup, but can choose between getting adult to help others.

By the way, I was not very present in the forum, but I follow the development by YouTube, congratulations to the devs team!

LeeMarston
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf
Name: Lee, Sockeye

Post by LeeMarston » Tue May 14, 2019 10:03 am

This was mentioned in the original post, but it'd be nice to "whisper" to an individual player in multiplayer.
      I don't know if there's a plan for colored text because rainbow text might be distracting, but what about colored names? It's a little chaotic in a busy chat trying to see who's saying what. There could be a color picker in the character creator next to the name that would indicate the color of one's name in-game.
        Since the 3.0 maps are going to be bigger, would it be possible for the host to set a waypoint on the map? Several games have this feature where you can set a destination for you and your teammates. I'm sure lots of key places will be listed/named on the map already, but this could be a helpful feature if someone finds a herd and wants to signal to other players where the target is.

SophieTheAiredale
        Pup
        Pup
        Name: Sophie | She/they

Post by SophieTheAiredale » Sat Jul 13, 2019 5:01 pm

Maybe the ability to "invite" a player to a private game. You could send an invite to a player and your game would show up in a sort of private game lobby of the games you've been invited to. It would look a lot like the public game lobby, showing how many players, the host's name, the type of chat, the map, season, and game type. But you would still have the option to make a name and pass game, so other players could invite their friends.

LillyWhiteapple
        Newborn Wolf
        Newborn Wolf

Post by LillyWhiteapple » Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:04 am

I dont know if anyone already posted it (bc tbh i didnt read everything xD sry)

Only if "playing as pups" is a thing:

I would love a survival mode. Pretty open and not to story bound. (kind of how it is in the Game "The isle")
        You spawn in as pup in a pack (like the nesting system in "the isle") and start to grow. Till adulthood.
        (After that you leave and make your own pack or stay. Depends how the server rules are or how the peeps want to play it.)

- How to find out if there is a free pup to play? - Like Beasts of bermuda does. If you join a server you can choose a dinosaur or first look if eggs are avaiable. You choose the egg, parents get a message and have to accept or refuse. Same would work for WQ. The screen will show you, instead of eggs, which Fem Wolf is pregnant (and with how many pups) and if some are already taken or free. She also has to accept the pup request.
        - But what if there isnt a free pup to play? - Spawn as adult wolf and find a pack to join. Or find a mate and make your own.

Challenges for all age stages would also be nice.
        As pups: Play with xxxx, Hunt the Grasshopper/Butterfly, Find a Stick and so on xD
        As Juvenile: Play hide and seek with xxxx, Hunt xx mice .... and so on

That also means servers should be pretty big. Not only 10 Players, maybe at least 20 - 50 slots. Depends how the MP with servers will work.
        If you guys know The Isle and Beasts of Bermuda, you know what i mean xD

BlueBellTigger
        Hunter-in-training
        Hunter-in-training

Post by BlueBellTigger » Wed Jul 31, 2019 4:33 pm

I understand that this game is for education, so why not make a mini game run. Like temple run, or something fun for thoughs who get board eaisily playing in multiplayer. Then you could try beating ur scores in the map by doing/finding/whatever the topic or education game is based on

-Wolfdog-
        Yearling
        Yearling
        Name: Wolf

Post by -Wolfdog- » Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:18 pm

BlueBellTigger wrote:
        Wed Jul 31, 2019 4:33 pm
        I understand that this game is for education, so why not make a mini game run. Like temple run, or something fun for thoughs who get board eaisily playing in multiplayer. Then you could try beating ur scores in the map by doing/finding/whatever the topic or education game is based on
        I personally believe that would make WolfQuest seem very unrealistic and cartoonish. Also, you can't get bored in multiplayer, multiplayer is the best thing!
        LillyWhiteapple wrote:
        Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:04 am
        I dont know if anyone already posted it (bc tbh i didnt read everything xD sry)

Only if "playing as pups" is a thing:

I would love a survival mode. Pretty open and not to story bound. (kind of how it is in the Game "The isle")
        You spawn in as pup in a pack (like the nesting system in "the isle") and start to grow. Till adulthood.
        (After that you leave and make your own pack or stay. Depends how the server rules are or how the peeps want to play it.)

- How to find out if there is a free pup to play? - Like Beasts of bermuda does. If you join a server you can choose a dinosaur or first look if eggs are avaiable. You choose the egg, parents get a message and have to accept or refuse. Same would work for WQ. The screen will show you, instead of eggs, which Fem Wolf is pregnant (and with how many pups) and if some are already taken or free. She also has to accept the pup request.
        - But what if there isnt a free pup to play? - Spawn as adult wolf and find a pack to join. Or find a mate and make your own.

Challenges for all age stages would also be nice.
        As pups: Play with xxxx, Hunt the Grasshopper/Butterfly, Find a Stick and so on xD
        As Juvenile: Play hide and seek with xxxx, Hunt xx mice .... and so on

That also means servers should be pretty big. Not only 10 Players, maybe at least 20 - 50 slots. Depends how the MP with servers will work.
        If you guys know The Isle and Beasts of Bermuda, you know what i mean xD
        I believe multiplayer is set up in a way that makes the players one pack. Having 50+ players is just.. hard to handle and unrealistic as well unless we add some PvP mode but even then. We have ironwolf (coming i think), so that's like survival. Not sure if it'll be added to multiplayer, though. I believe becoming a pup is not needed, the entire aspect of WQ focuses on you being a 2-year old gray wolf. Sure, pups are cute, but at the end of the day pups don't do much exciting things compared to an adult wolf, and it would be a hassle to code for the developers. Plus, I believe being a wolf pup is straying away from the realism of WQ. Wolves are not cats, so they can't really hunt mice.. I believe it would also be a hassle hunting for grasshopper/butterfly. They're extremely small, and they need to run away and that requires coding. It's simply not worth it. Although, maybe brief animations will be added for that. We already care for our pups, I don't want WQ to seem like a caring for your pet simulator with quests on taking care of your puppies. I believe growing up and then leaving your pack would also be extremely complicated, this is online. What would you do if you decided to leave your multiplayer pack? Find a mate and then return, repeat? Would this mate have to be NPC or actual online players (although that would encourage rule-breaking), and you really don't need mates in multiplayer. Let's make WolfQuest realistic but fun. Like PvP or something along those lines.

Moonstar05
        Newborn Wolf
        Newborn Wolf

Post by Moonstar05 » Thu Aug 01, 2019 6:34 pm

Maybe a pvp or a pack life that has the other wolf packs as a option to steal territory. ( this is for AE )

Atlatl
        Newborn Wolf
        Newborn Wolf

Post by Atlatl » Sat Aug 03, 2019 6:56 am

SheWolf17 wrote:
        Tue May 14, 2019 7:06 am
        As I've heard that multiplayer may not come along with the update. I think some suggestions for the future are good.

I think it would be good some kind of "Roleplay mode" or something. In this mode there would be a grouping system, we can take The Isle game as an example, when a player of the same species invites you to group, you accept and can enter into private chats with that group/herd, and see their nametags only. I think it would be a nice thing to add something like that in multiplayer because I've always seen servers like "Pack VS Pack RP" and "Realistic Pack RP".
        The tag and group system is great in the Isle and would be nice in WQ too, but The Isle uses existing Steam data and I'm sure some open source code (since there are other games that use a similar mechanic). WQ would need to implement Steam tags into the new multiplayer, as they currently use their own username database for the game