When When When?

Find out what we're doing and thinking as we develop WolfQuest 3: Anniversary Edition and the Tower Fall expansion!

Moderators: Neamara, Koa

loboLoco
WolfQuest Team Member
WolfQuest Team Member

Re: When When When?

Post by loboLoco » Mon May 07, 2018 8:41 am

ShadowOkamiMT wrote:To be fair you guys have been saying it would come soon for almost two in a half years now
Well, two and a half years ago, we had just released 2.7. Two years ago, we were working on 2.7.2. Eighteen months ago, we were finishing up 2.7.3.

We announced Tower Fall about 15 months ago, and then revised our plans and announced WQ3 nine months ago. I understand that that sequence is a bit odd and hardly desirable, but in the big picture it'll be for the best. We did originally have a pretty narrow scope for WQ3 (basically a rebuild of 2.7) and felt pretty confident that we could get that done by the end of 2017....but as we worked on it, we kept thinking of ways to make the game substantially better -- truly the next generation of WolfQuest. We are redesigning every aspect of the game (Tommi spent a week in March just creating the new AI for cougars at carcasses) and that has ripple effects throughout the whole development process.

In short, both the game scope and the release date have been moving targets, which is frustrating for everybody -- including us, who have all the reasons in the world (including financial) to get WQ3 and then Tower Fall released as soon as possible.

So we really appreciate everyone's patience. We'll get there.
Dave/loboLoco
WolfQuest Game Producer

criatureds
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by criatureds » Mon May 07, 2018 2:09 pm

I'm so patient when I know something's very important and with this includes doing a very hard work. I'm so glad you finally posted something about, cause I was starting to worry sincerely xD
After all, it's hard working on and the same time try to post some news about the coming game I thought.
I keep thinking you're doing a really good work, pheraphs spending lot of time and concentration on it.
That game is gonna have a really good succeed!! :wolf: :wolf: :wolf:
KEEP GOING LMAO

SkrillHowl
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by SkrillHowl » Sun May 13, 2018 1:05 am

Can we have a status update?

paperpaws
Former WQ Moderator

Post by paperpaws » Sun May 13, 2018 1:26 am

SkrillHowl wrote:Can we have a status update?
The most recent dev blog post does give some sort of "update", or rather, address the fact that they can't give one yet. http://wolfquest.org/bb/viewtopic.php?f=97&t=84161
loboLoco wrote:Do you have a release date yet? I can’t wait!
Sorry, no. We’re still in the thick of development. It’s been 15 months now since we announced Tower Fall, and nine months since we announced WQ3. Back then, we certainly expected to have released *something* by now. But we originally had a pretty narrow scope for WQ3 (basically a rebuild of 2.7) and we felt pretty confident that we could get that done by the end of 2017....but as we worked on it, we kept thinking of ways to make the game substantially better -- truly the next generation of WolfQuest. We are improving many things, both large (like the maps) and small (like the IK system, which turned out to be not-so-small after all). And we’re redesigning every aspect of the game (Tommi spent a week in March just creating the new AI for cougars at carcasses) and that has ripple effects throughout the whole development process.

In short, both the game scope and the release date have been moving targets, which is frustrating for everybody -- including us, who have all the reasons in the world (including financial) to finish and release WQ3 and then Tower Fall as soon as possible. But we don’t expect to release anything before the fall, alas. If we could go back in time, we might have announced WQ3 as a remake with no mention of a deadline. We really appreciate everyone's patience. We'll get there. And we do think it will be worth it.

ShadowOkamiMT
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf
Name: Shadow

Post by ShadowOkamiMT » Sun May 13, 2018 1:32 am

ForeverEverest wrote:To add on to Koa,

Making a game is a lot of hard work, and the WolfQuest team isn't very big.

Once they've programmed everything, they then have to check for any bugs, then fix any problems they find. I do not know a lot about game designing, but I know some bugs can be tricky to fix. Finding out what the actual problem is then solving it can take a while, and fixing one bug can occasionally lead to more problems. And from what I've heard, many unexpected complications can appear when designing a game, which can really drag out the release date.

I find this topic is a good example of the complications, and why it's so hard to predict the release date:
A Very Limber Wolf
I was kind of just messing around to be honest, I realize game development is a lengthy process. I wish them luck and hope they do a good job! Though I am kind of concerned about something, they will be keeping the text chat for 13+ members correct? They removed it one other time and clearly no one liked that, it made it unreasonably difficult to chat and as for wolf pack rp, back then you could forget about it since there was no way to do that with phrase chat properly. So they are keeping text chat for 13+ members in multiplayer, correct?

paperpaws
Former WQ Moderator

Post by paperpaws » Sun May 13, 2018 1:41 am

ShadowOkamiMT wrote: they will be keeping the text chat for 13+ members correct? They removed it one other time and clearly no one liked that, it made it unreasonably difficult to chat and as for wolf pack rp, back then you could forget about it since there was no way to do that with phrase chat properly. So they are keeping text chat for 13+ members in multiplayer, correct?
There is nothing to indicate text chat will be removed again. Adding it back to the game was not a light decision, but has proven to be a popular one. The fact that the game is pay-to-play now, combined with the more solid and efficient reporting system, likely do help with dealing with any inappropriate or unwelcome behaviour. The short answer is, text chat is likely here to stay, yes.

ShadowOkamiMT
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf
Name: Shadow

Post by ShadowOkamiMT » Sun May 13, 2018 1:51 am

paperpaws wrote: There is nothing to indicate text chat will be removed again. Adding it back to the game was not a light decision, but has proven to be a popular one. The fact that the game is pay-to-play now, combined with the more solid and efficient reporting system, likely do help with dealing with any inappropriate or unwelcome behaviour. The short answer is, text chat is likely here to stay, yes.
Okay thank you, that is reassuring. I was highly disappointed when I first came back to wolf quest and payed for the game just to find out that multiplayer was kind of crappy then with no text chat anymore. I have joined games that were phrase chat just to be nice since these kids did not have anyone joining them in their game and so I joined and hung out for a while, but the phrase chat made it unreasonably complicated to communicate and half the time I could not understand what they were saying to me because they were so limited. I rather not go back to only phrase chat and not have an option, I am one of the few that report for bad behavior to help out so hopefully that will help WQ keep the population under control and make sure people are not being too inappropriate.

lanarakel
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by lanarakel » Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:56 pm

Hi! i have been play wolf quest since 2012, and having play this game so long. I have grown to love it. I just recently discovered that WQ3 is coming out and i'm so anxious to play it. Will it becoming out in 2018, or will we have to wait till 2019? How ever long it takes, i'm willing to wait. Thank you for making such a fantastic game. :D

paperpaws
Former WQ Moderator

Post by paperpaws » Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:31 pm

lanarakel wrote:Hi! i have been play wolf quest since 2012, and having play this game so long. I have grown to love it. I just recently discovered that WQ3 is coming out and i'm so anxious to play it. Will it becoming out in 2018, or will we have to wait till 2019? How ever long it takes, i'm willing to wait. Thank you for making such a fantastic game. :D
Hello! I'm afraid that nothing has changed regarding the information on the first post. The expected release date is still "2018".. but there are still no specifics on when, exactly.

x1103
Pup
Pup

Post by x1103 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:13 am

Just watched "Valley of the wolves" on Nat Geo Wild once again and well it certainly didn't help my patience. Five and a half months of this year left... Really hope you'll make it but understand if you wont. I'm mostly glad of the effort you're putting into the game, even if it means it will take a little longer to release it. :)

DispersedHowl100
Pup
Pup
Name: Frost

Post by DispersedHowl100 » Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:11 am

I hope it comes out soon! :oops:

Wolfyyy
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by Wolfyyy » Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:45 am

Hi All

Good heavens I have not been here for years now. I love this game. Happy to see improvements! but btw, the version you can buy on Steam, will the Wolfquest 3.0 be released as a free update to the existing steam game or will it be sold separately?

If I buy the existing 2.7 will I have to buy 3.0?

Let me know and thank you!!! <3

muori
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by muori » Sun Aug 12, 2018 12:42 pm

Wolfyyy wrote:Hi All

Good heavens I have not been here for years now. I love this game. Happy to see improvements! but btw, the version you can buy on Steam, will the Wolfquest 3.0 be released as a free update to the existing steam game or will it be sold separately?

If I buy the existing 2.7 will I have to buy 3.0?

Let me know and thank you!!! <3
Hi! If you purchase WolfQuest 2.7, you'll get 3.0 for free :)

Flamesky
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training

Post by Flamesky » Sun Aug 12, 2018 1:57 pm

Since it is August now, I was wondering if the release date is still tentative for the end of 2018? Or are we more likely to get it in early 2019? Either way, I don't want you to rush it.

paperpaws
Former WQ Moderator

Post by paperpaws » Mon Aug 13, 2018 3:43 am

Flamesky wrote:Since it is August now, I was wondering if the release date is still tentative for the end of 2018? Or are we more likely to get it in early 2019? Either way, I don't want you to rush it.
This is the most recent update: (thanks to Neamara for digging this up).
We’re making good progress but not almost finished, unfortunately. We’re aiming for late 2018.
Based on that, I believe that is all that can be said for the time being.