More Questions Answered

Find out what we're doing and thinking as we develop WolfQuest 3: Anniversary Edition and the Tower Fall expansion!

Moderators: Neamara, Koa

AveryCF
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training
Name: Avery

Re: More Questions Answered

Post by AveryCF » Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:15 pm

loboLoco wrote:You'll be able to import your 2.7 wolves and saved games into 3 (but not vice versa). We also plan to keep 2.7 available (how exactly will vary depending on the platform -- got some ideas but haven't thoroughly investigated/tested them yet), so you can always go back and play 2.7 if you want.
Ahhh, yay! This answers one of my main concerns. Means WQ won't be one of those games telling you you can't play an outdated save file (Or in this case- a wolf.) so you don't have to completely say goodbye. I'm still making a new wolf, but it's still nice to know that I can carry over my old wolves into this "New world" as well. Thanks for clearing this up. ;3;

Zurania
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by Zurania » Fri Nov 03, 2017 2:34 am

Beautiful *o* Super excited for the update~
Btw, will you be updating the shadows on mobile? The shadows on the homescreen look really nice, but the ones in game I don't really like. Just a question! ^^

SilkenGalaxy
Name: Alex

Post by SilkenGalaxy » Sat Nov 04, 2017 4:11 pm

Ah! Nice to hear about all the cool stuff to look forward to!

7KodaWolf7
Hunter-in-training
Hunter-in-training
Name: Elliott

Post by 7KodaWolf7 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 4:26 pm

loboLoco wrote: Despite the issues I described in this blog post, we very much want to add a continuous day/night cycle, at least to the PC/Mac version of the game. It adds so much to immersion, and since our game levels last months, it’ll help convey that passage of time. And with the new lighting system we’re using, sunset and sunrise are just gorgeous.

But there’s a good chance it just won’t work on mobile, and that (along with other factors) may well force is to split multiplayer into separate PC and mobile lobbies.
What if, instead of dividing the lobbies, the day/night cycle is just an optional thing for a host to enable/disable at the start of the game? That way, those who can only afford mobile aren't missing out on meeting and playing with all of the other awesome 'Questers.

Sycona
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf
Name: Sycona

Post by Sycona » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:24 pm

Can you guys add an emotes option so you can growl or do other emotes while walking? It's kind of annoying having to stop to play some of the emotes. Love the game! Keep up he good work!

resanfray
Pup
Pup

Post by resanfray » Sat Dec 09, 2017 3:21 pm

Sycona wrote:Can you guys add an emotes option so you can growl or do other emotes while walking? It's kind of annoying having to stop to play some of the emotes. Love the game! Keep up he good work!
I second this XD

0927CanisLupus0927
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by 0927CanisLupus0927 » Tue Dec 19, 2017 6:17 pm

In WolfQuest 3: Anniversary Edition, will you be able to rank your pups? That would also be fun to let it "naturally" rank them to (based on their speciality).

Also, to strengthen your bond with your pack, could interacting with them effect the pack affinity and pack bond? I think this would be cool.

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Koa » Tue Dec 19, 2017 7:02 pm

0927CanisLupus0927 wrote:In WolfQuest 3: Anniversary Edition, will you be able to rank your pups? That would also be fun to let it "naturally" rank them to (based on their speciality).

Also, to strengthen your bond with your pack, could interacting with them effect the pack affinity and pack bond? I think this would be cool.
What do you mean "rank?" Wolves do not have specific ranks or roles in the wild.

xc92u3

Post by xc92u3 » Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:52 am

Koa wrote:
0927CanisLupus0927 wrote:In WolfQuest 3: Anniversary Edition, will you be able to rank your pups? That would also be fun to let it "naturally" rank them to (based on their speciality).

What do you mean "rank?" Wolves do not have specific ranks or roles in the wild.
There is two alphas, then two betas, then two gammas, and so on, pups at the bottom. But with the pups, they have their own ranks. As in, when they play, there is a specific pup who is most dominant among the other pups. The alphas are the leaders, their rank is highest.

paperpaws
Former WQ Moderator

Post by paperpaws » Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:29 pm

TimberRaven wrote:
Koa wrote:

There is two alphas, then two betas, then two gammas, and so on, pups at the bottom. But with the pups, they have their own ranks. As in, when they play, there is a specific pup who is most dominant among the other pups. The alphas are the leaders, their rank is highest.
It is possible that those type of ranks are similar to what CanisLupus was referring to; however, your answer is misinformation either way. Wild wolf packs do not have any such "ranking" systems, and thus they will never be implemented in a game that aims to portray wild wolf packs in the most realistic way possible.

I recommend you read the following topic for a more thorough explanation of wolf pack hierarchy: http://wolfquest.org/bb/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=942

xc92u3

Post by xc92u3 » Wed Dec 20, 2017 1:49 pm

http://www.wolfworlds.com/wolf-social-structure/ Could you be more specific? Do you mean wolves in Yellowstone, or just in general?

paperpaws
Former WQ Moderator

Post by paperpaws » Wed Dec 20, 2017 2:00 pm

TimberRaven wrote:http://www.wolfworlds.com/wolf-social-structure/ Could you be more specific? Do you mean wolves in Yellowstone, or just in general?
Wild wolf packs in general. I fear that the website you linked is spreading misinformation as well. The rest of the information that should help you should be there in the topic I linked. This video is a good watch, too; especially since Dr Mech is the one who popularised that "ranking" system to begin with:

The short run-down is that the whole idea of using ranking terms based on the Greek alphabet is awfully outdated, and such an idea of a ranking system/pecking order is not reflective of what actually happens in the wild. Unfortunately, that idea has been popularised and spread. Please try to scrutinise any source of information (which of course includes the ones we provide); the website you linked hardly refers to any concrete source of information and from what I can tell has no credibility. Even Wikipedia is a more reliable source here; much of Wikipedia's information is scientifically/academically sourced and can be double-checked and revised when incorrect or unreliable.

I recommend you head over to the Wolf Q&A boards if you want to discuss this more thoroughly. I'd like to end this discussion on this particular topic here, so that any new posts may be relevant to the original topic again.

wolf_whisperer98
Pup
Pup
Name: Silver

Post by wolf_whisperer98 » Fri Dec 22, 2017 4:50 pm

:wolf: I can't help but wonder if new howls will be added in to the game much like how the choosing of eye color will be :wolf:

WolfLove12389
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf
Name: Hunter

Post by WolfLove12389 » Sat Dec 23, 2017 6:28 pm

Do you think the game might come out in mid (or late) January to early February?

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Koa » Sat Dec 23, 2017 7:11 pm

WolfLove12389 wrote:Do you think the game might come out in mid (or late) January to early February?
The only recent estimation that has been provided to my knowledge is early 2018 (http://www.wolfquest.org/bb/viewtopic.php?f=97&t=83157); it does not state the month.