I Smell Elk!

Find out what we're doing and thinking as we develop WolfQuest 3: Anniversary Edition and the Tower Fall expansion!

Moderators: Neamara, Koa

Phasoli
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf
Name: EMK

Re: I Smell Elk!

Post by Phasoli » Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:02 pm

Wow... This will definately make the search for food more challenging--and, as a result, way more rewarding!

Jeames
Name: Jeames, Jea

Post by Jeames » Sat Jul 22, 2017 5:15 am

This is so amazing! I love how it makes the game look even more realistic! The fact that there are no actual hunting grounds anymore but just overall spawning zones sounds so interesting. I cannot wait to see it in game! These small updates make me so happy. <333

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Koa » Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:33 pm

A more dynamic scent and spawning system is needed. Thanks, Dave!

Lebron BMT
Pup
Pup

Post by Lebron BMT » Sat Jul 22, 2017 3:47 pm

I had to login to comment to this. WOW. This is the best gameplay feature update imo in the last 3-4 years. Just amazing. Lost for words. As an aside, if you are concerned with younger players getting frustrated perhaps scent trails could be made longer and easier to find according to the difficulty levels?
Last edited by Lebron BMT on Sat Jul 22, 2017 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Koa » Sat Jul 22, 2017 3:57 pm

Lebron BMT wrote:I had to login to comment to this. WOW. This is the best gameplay feature update imo in the last 3-4 years. Just amazing. Lost for words. As an aside, if you are considered with younger players getting frustrated perhaps scent trails could be made longer and easier to find according to the difficulty levels?
Adjusting the new systems based on difficulty would make sense. I don't know how easy that would be to implement, though. But that seems like a plausible solution to ease any frustrations that may arise.

Brinnadaze
Pup
Pup
Name: Brianna

Post by Brinnadaze » Sat Jul 22, 2017 5:08 pm

This is great! Every update I get more and more excited for the Towerfall expansion and the later additions to the main game.

I do have a couple of lingering "questions" though...
Will the on-ground tracks be muddled if the animal treads through water?
If we encounter a wandering dispersal, will we have a chance to run away? Or are we forced to interact with them?
Will we just accidentally walk into pack territories, or will they mark and patrol their borders?
While tracking elk, could we potentially run into a rival pack already hunting the herd?

These can be viewed as questions, prompts, suggestions, whatever. I'm just hyping myself up for the update >:D

[Edit: Oh! I watched a documentary about wolves and elk. While elk migrate, the convene into larger herds and clump together to fend off mosquitoes and such - and, to make it even harder for the insects to bite them, they go against the wind. "The survival of this litter of pups literally depends on which way the wind blows." Could this be implemented?]
Last edited by Brinnadaze on Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:48 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Nor-easter Forecast

Post by Nor-easter Forecast » Sat Jul 22, 2017 6:13 pm

Wow this is defiantly the feature I'm most excited for, and it is great to get an update on it. I like the idea of making scent trails longer on easier difficulty levels. But at any rate it's going to be a fantastic challenge!

paperpaws
Former WQ Moderator

Post by paperpaws » Sun Jul 23, 2017 2:15 am

This is a very exciting update, honestly made all the more special by the bold move it is making from a system that has been in place for so long. I'm particularly excited and curious about the new dynamic spawning system; I feel like this will make exploration a lot more rewarding and realistic.

AuroraEnSofia
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf

Post by AuroraEnSofia » Sun Jul 23, 2017 2:40 am

OOOMMGGG i totally LOVE this!!!
But i think its going to be hard the scents arent the same colour as in 2.7 and 2.5 thats going to be a little distracting but i still love it!

Keep up ur amazing work WQ team! :D

Ecliptic
Pup
Pup

Post by Ecliptic » Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:24 am

AuroraEnSofia wrote:OOOMMGGG i totally LOVE this!!!
But i think its going to be hard the scents arent the same colour as in 2.7 and 2.5 thats going to be a little distracting but i still love it!

What do you mean the same color?

Phasoli
Sub-adult Wolf
Sub-adult Wolf
Name: EMK

Post by Phasoli » Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:57 am

Ecliptic wrote:
AuroraEnSofia wrote:OOOMMGGG i totally LOVE this!!!

What do you mean the same color?
The same colour, as in, the scent trails being purple for the cow elk, red for the bull elk, blue for bears, green for coyotes, etc

ClownfishtheDJ
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf
Name: Emygra or Mist
Location: Howling with the wolves, grazing with the elk and deer, and adventuring with the coyotes in MT.

Post by ClownfishtheDJ » Sun Jul 23, 2017 5:10 pm

Anduril wrote:This is a very exciting update, honestly made all the more special by the bold move it is making from a system that has been in place for so long. I'm particularly excited and curious about the new dynamic spawning system; I feel like this will make exploration a lot more rewarding and realistic.
Agreed! I've always loved exploring the maps, yet I've always wished that I wasn't the only dispersal wolf roaming, and sometimes, the only animal around.

I do have one question though: The current hunting grounds, and wolf territories sometimes glitch when in scent view, as in: I will sometimes be wandering into the territory/hunting grounds, right where the scent trail is supposed to be, and sometimes it does glitch.(Usually I go straight to the middle, and then spread out in all directions, yet still no luck) Will this new feature reduce the trail not popping up, and make it easier to spot, with it either being in the air or ground?

PearlyReborn
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month
Name: Meg

Post by PearlyReborn » Sun Jul 23, 2017 6:20 pm

ClownfishtheDJ wrote:
Anduril wrote:This is a very exciting update, honestly made all the more special by the bold move it is making from a system that has been in place for so long. I'm particularly excited and curious about the new dynamic spawning system; I feel like this will make exploration a lot more rewarding and realistic.
Agreed! I've always loved exploring the maps, yet I've always wished that I wasn't the only dispersal wolf roaming, and sometimes, the only animal around.

I do have one question though: The current hunting grounds, and wolf territories sometimes glitch when in scent view, as in: I will sometimes be wandering into the territory/hunting grounds, right where the scent trail is supposed to be, and sometimes it does glitch.(Usually I go straight to the middle, and then spread out in all directions, yet still no luck) Will this new feature reduce the trail not popping up, and make it easier to spot, with it either being in the air or ground?
The scent trails showing up is determined by wind direction, which can be a tad tricky. You want the wind to be blowing towards you to find scent effectively.

Wnao

Post by Wnao » Mon Jul 24, 2017 2:07 am

Ooh this is amazing!

Ecliptic
Pup
Pup

Post by Ecliptic » Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:00 am

SolitaryHowl wrote:Wow, I'm always excited to see a new update every Friday!

Hm...perhaps making the windborne scent particles a little larger so they are easier to spot? Or increase their contrast with the greyscale background? They might be hard to see when you're moving around, turning in one spot, etc.
Yeah, from a distance they'd probably look like leaves.