More Ways to Express Yourself

Find out what we're doing and thinking as we develop WolfQuest 3: Anniversary Edition and the Tower Fall expansion!

Moderators: Neamara, Koa

loboLoco
WolfQuest Team Member
WolfQuest Team Member

More Ways to Express Yourself

Post by loboLoco » Thu May 25, 2023 2:29 pm

Coming in the next game update are more wolf howls for players to choose from. We've been working on this for awhile -- recording wolves at the Wildlife Science Center last fall, and more recently scouring wolf videos from the Voyageurs Wolf Project and the Wolf Conservation Center, both of which have graciously given us permission to use audio from their videos in the game. Due to ambient background sounds and other wolves joining in, we could only use a relatively small number of howls from those organizations, but check out their YouTube channels for many more great videos!

* Voyageurs Wolf Project: http://www.voyageurswolfproject.org/
* Wolf Conservation Center: http://www.nywolf.org/
* Our visit to the Wildlife Science Center: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1g_4K1-g6oE

So we've now got 15 new howls added to the game -- and we've revised the Howl section of the wolf customization panel so all 39 howls can be selected as either primary or secondary howls (or both!).

Long ago we added the ability to howl when sitting or laying down, but other emotes have been disabled when in those poses. That was due to constraints of the AI system -- but Tommi designed the new AI system to allow emotes in any pose, so we've got that working now. You can do all voice emotes, and a few others, when taking a load off. (Tail emotes are still disabled, since the ground gets in the way of them.)

All this is coming soon in the next game update. It's getting closer!

The WolfQuest saga will continue! Stay tuned for more news in upcoming devblogs about it and other new features!

Once the game is completed on PC/Mac, we will turn our attention to other platforms.

We do not announce specific release dates. W
Dave/loboLoco
WolfQuest Game Producer

Wind_Shadow
Pup
Pup
Name: Wind, Windy, Shadow

Re: More Ways to Express Yourself

Post by Wind_Shadow » Thu May 25, 2023 3:37 pm

This is a very exciting addition to the game! I love to hear the wolf howls, and I can't wait to try out all of the new ones! After playing the game for a long time, the howls were starting to get just a tad bit repetitive, and multiple times I've had wolves who had identical howls with their mates! It's also great that now you can choose any howl to be primary or second! It certainly adds so many more options for howl combinations!

Also, I'm very excited about the vocals while sitting down! Often I've found myself sitting/laying down, and been caught in a position of a predator approaching. It certainly helps that I can immediately order pups into the den the moment I know there's danger, rather than panicking while waiting for my wolf to stand up. Already the new update is offering so much!