Dogs are capable of hunting just as much as wolves

Discuss other canids (coyotes, foxes, dholes, etc.).

Moderators: Frodo1, Koa

-Wolfdog-
Yearling
Yearling
Name: Wolf

Dogs are capable of hunting just as much as wolves

Post by -Wolfdog- » Wed Jun 23, 2021 5:37 am

I found an interesting article regarding the hunting behaviors of dogs. I think it's worth a read. Dogs are just as capable at finding, stalking, chasing, killing and eating their own prey just as much as wolves, the only difference is that dogs have different feeding opportunities. The article also dives into the pack dynamics of dogs. Believe it or not, but dogs do form packs, however dogs have learned to congregate with both familiar and unfamiliar dogs.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/retrieverm ... packs/amp/

(Warning: Some brief photos of dogs killing a deer, but it's nothing gory)
⍋ ⍋
ABNUS LUMI
🐺
🐾

DaniBeez

Re: Dogs are capable of hunting just as much as wolves

Post by DaniBeez » Fri Jul 09, 2021 11:43 am

I like Scottie's blogs! Terrierman is another good "dogmen" blog. I am by no means a dogwoman/person, but I respect their experience.

On the subject, I think taking breeds with inherent gameness/dog aggression like the American Pit Bull Terrier and turning that drive towards hunting invasive species like feral pigs is a good thing for both parties.
DaniBeez
___Community member since 2010
___Avatar by Sambhur

-Wolfdog-
Yearling
Yearling
Name: Wolf

Post by -Wolfdog- » Tue Jul 20, 2021 8:13 pm

DaniBeez wrote:
Fri Jul 09, 2021 11:43 am
I like Scottie's blogs! Terrierman is another good "dogmen" blog. I am by no means a dogwoman/person, but I respect their experience.

On the subject, I think taking breeds with inherent gameness/dog aggression like the American Pit Bull Terrier and turning that drive towards hunting invasive species like feral pigs is a good thing for both parties.
I agree, Westfall does make interesting observations. I also agree on channeling the APBT's inherent DA into something much more productive, like invasive species or pest control.

By the way, the main reason why I posted the article is because all too often I hear others say that dogs have lost their ability to hunt for themselves or form packs. That dogs are constantly stuck in the "puppy stage". But this isn't necessarily true.

Dogs are social animals by nature, and their domestication means that they would prefer to beg as opposed to hunting. This isn't because dogs are incapable, it just means that they found an easier way! Even conditioned wildlife will choose free food over hunting any day.
But when push comes to shove, any dog physically and mentally capable of killing prey can learn how to hunt for themselves. From golden retrievers to terriers. Cats may be more willing to hunt for live prey due to their social structure, size, and diet of mostly low-risk prey.
⍋ ⍋
ABNUS LUMI
🐺
🐾

DaniBeez

Post by DaniBeez » Fri Jul 23, 2021 9:43 pm

-Wolfdog- wrote:
Tue Jul 20, 2021 8:13 pm
By the way, the main reason why I posted the article is because all too often I hear others say that dogs have lost their ability to hunt for themselves or form packs. That dogs are constantly stuck in the "puppy stage". But this isn't necessarily true.
And I think this "forever a puppy" sentiment comes from people treating their pet dogs like furry little humans rather than animals with different needs, and the dogs take the brunt of that treatment.
DaniBeez
___Community member since 2010
___Avatar by Sambhur