The Red Wolf

Discuss other canids (coyotes, foxes, dholes, etc.).

Moderators: Frodo1, Koa

SheWolf17
Pup
Pup
Name: SheWolf

The Red Wolf

Post by SheWolf17 » Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:54 pm

( "Moved" by me to Wolf Conservation )

In the world of the mammals there are infinity of animals and some still little known, as it is the case of the Red Wolf, a beautiful animal that is in imminent state of extinction.

It originated in North America and formerly occupied an extensive territory that passed through Pennsylvania and Florida, today this no longer occurs, as there are only 250 of these animals in nature and most of them live in captivity. Its size can reach 1.20 meters and tail can measure up to 35 centimeters and its average weight is 27 pounds.
Their food is based on the hunting of small animals such as rodents, birds and rabbits, some are still feeding on white-tailed deer and even raccoons.

The red wolf, is very close to extinction due to poaching. According to the US Fish and Wildlife Service, there are now less than 100 wolves in their wild habitat. In recent days, on the other hand, a new dead individual was found in North Carolina, bringing the deaths to nine earlier in the year

The situation is so serious that the Fish and Wildlife Service and other conservation groups are promising a reward of € 20,000 for anyone who gives information about this death, Treehugger said.

The elegant red wolf, once a very populous species from the southeastern US, has become close to extinction due to habitat destruction and poaching. In the 1980s, a very aggressive program of re-breeding wolves in their habitat and breeding gave some hope of changing the situation, but illegal hunting ended up with this progress.

In the United States, killing a red wolf is a felony punishable by one year in prison and a fine of € 73,000. Some conservation associations say, however, that many of these deaths may be accidental. Since the coyote hunt was legalized in the red wolf recovery area, hunters confuse the two species and shoot to kill the red wolf. A situation that could easily be avoided.

Translated source: https://translate.google.com/translate? ... t=&act=url
Last edited by Koa on Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: adding source
A shot in the dark
A past lost in space
Where do I start?
The past and the chase
You hunted me down
Like a wolf, a predator
I felt like a deer in the lights

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Re: The Red Wolf

Post by Koa » Tue Sep 26, 2017 4:40 pm

I don't think we have a general thread for the red wolf, so I'll be moving this to Other Canids, as red wolves have heavily intermixed with coyotes. Can you please provide a link to the source you quoted from? Thanks.

SheWolf17
Pup
Pup
Name: SheWolf

Post by SheWolf17 » Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:23 pm

:o Sorry for i didn't posting the link https://greensavers.sapo.pt/2013/11/lob ... -extincao/ (Translate the page please :wink: )
A shot in the dark
A past lost in space
Where do I start?
The past and the chase
You hunted me down
Like a wolf, a predator
I felt like a deer in the lights

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Koa » Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:26 pm

Nymeria10 wrote::o Sorry for i didn't posting the link https://greensavers.sapo.pt/2013/11/lob ... -extincao/ (Translate the page please :wink: )
Thank you. I have added the translated link to your post.

NobodyWhoIsHere
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf
Name: Nobody

Red Wolves

Post by NobodyWhoIsHere » Mon Jan 17, 2022 5:45 pm

Okay. I admit. Half of my original interest was because I liked the color red. You could probably tell just by looking at some of my older wolves in 2.7, that I liked red. Let's just say I abused the coloring sliders quite a bit.

Ignoring that, red wolves are actually fascinating! They are EXTREMELY endangered and it doesn't help that they look similar to coyotes, an animal most farmers shoot on site. To be fair, many farmers still employ "shoot, shovel, and shut up" with wolves in general. In fact, 2013 saw 10% of their population die to poaching.

Maybe that is part of the reason I find them so fascinating: only around 100 remain, and I am a sucker for learning for about endangered or extinct animals. Really, don't get my started on thylacines.

Maybe some of you find them fascinating as well! If so, post what you find here! They may not be gray wolves, but they are just as fascinating. And in desperate need of conservation. (Note: Read here to find out about U.S Fish and Game being sued for failing to protect these animals: https://www.courthousenews.com/red-wolf ... e-service/)
“𝕃𝕠𝕧𝕖, 𝕟𝕠𝕥 𝕙𝕒𝕥𝕖, 𝕚𝕤 𝕥𝕙𝕖 𝕓𝕦𝕣𝕕𝕖𝕟 𝕨𝕖 𝕔𝕒𝕣𝕣𝕪. 𝔹𝕦𝕥 𝕥𝕙𝕒𝕥 𝕗𝕒𝕔𝕥 𝕞𝕒𝕜𝕖𝕤 𝕚𝕥 𝕟𝕠 𝕝𝕚𝕘𝕙𝕥𝕖𝕣.”
― ℕ𝕚𝕔𝕜 𝕁𝕒𝕟𝕤, 𝔸 𝕎𝕠𝕝𝕗 ℂ𝕒𝕝𝕝𝕖𝕕 ℝ𝕠𝕞𝕖𝕠

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Re: Red Wolves

Post by Koa » Fri Feb 04, 2022 2:13 pm

NobodyWhoIsHere wrote:
Mon Jan 17, 2022 5:45 pm
Okay. I admit. Half of my original interest was because I liked the color red. You could probably tell just by looking at some of my older wolves in 2.7, that I liked red. Let's just say I abused the coloring sliders quite a bit.

Ignoring that, red wolves are actually fascinating! They are EXTREMELY endangered and it doesn't help that they look similar to coyotes, an animal most farmers shoot on site. To be fair, many farmers still employ "shoot, shovel, and shut up" with wolves in general. In fact, 2013 saw 10% of their population die to poaching.

Maybe that is part of the reason I find them so fascinating: only around 100 remain, and I am a sucker for learning for about endangered or extinct animals. Really, don't get my started on thylacines.

Maybe some of you find them fascinating as well! If so, post what you find here! They may not be gray wolves, but they are just as fascinating. And in desperate need of conservation. (Note: Read here to find out about U.S Fish and Game being sued for failing to protect these animals: https://www.courthousenews.com/red-wolf ... e-service/)
Merged your post with this thread in Other Wild Canids. See below:
How many species of wolf are there?

There are three universally recognized species of wolf: the gray wolf (Canis lupus), the * red wolf (Canis rufus) and the ** Ethiopian wolf (Canis simensis).

* It is important to note that red wolf is high in coyote ancestry (roughly 75%) and is a coyote-wolf hybrid, with whatever "distinction" it had once as a "unique" wolf essentially diluted and gone. See: A genome-wide perspective on the evolutionary history of enigmatic wolf-like canids
** In regards to the Ethiopian wolf, see Figure 1 of the above study and Figure 10 of Genome sequence, comparative analysis and haplotype structure of the domestic dog; you will notice that, in comparison, the coyote and golden jackal are more closely related to the gray wolf than the Ethiopian wolf itself. In turn, this begs the question of whether or not we should consider coyotes and jackals as "wolves," too, or if we should only consider "wolves" as Canis lupus and its subspecies. See also Wolf-like canid phylogeny by La Striata which illustrates and proposes the argument.

The African wolf was considered a subspecies of the golden jackal (Canis aureus); however, studies in 2011 believed that it may be more accurately classified as a subspecies of the gray wolf under Canis lupus lupaster. (African grey wolf compendium is a useful compilation of recent studies shared right here on the forums.) Recently, a 2015 study declared that it was a separate species entirely (Canis anthus), though closely related to wolves (but not as closely related as coyotes).
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/ar ... 2215007873
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=34625

I haven't updated the Wolf FAQ in awhile, so some of that information is likely dated. But, just so you know the reasoning for not allowing red wolf-related discussion in GWD, at the time when the forums were more active there was a lot of debate of whether or not the red wolf was a wolf or not. I know subsequent studies have come out since then/seems like a back-and-forth issue.

NobodyWhoIsHere
Newborn Wolf
Newborn Wolf
Name: Nobody

Post by NobodyWhoIsHere » Thu Feb 10, 2022 12:06 am

Thanks! Very sorry about my mess-ups, I am still learning the ropes of the forums. So yes, redirection is helpful! I will probably scour forum rules a bit more before posting, especially for individual threads.
“𝕃𝕠𝕧𝕖, 𝕟𝕠𝕥 𝕙𝕒𝕥𝕖, 𝕚𝕤 𝕥𝕙𝕖 𝕓𝕦𝕣𝕕𝕖𝕟 𝕨𝕖 𝕔𝕒𝕣𝕣𝕪. 𝔹𝕦𝕥 𝕥𝕙𝕒𝕥 𝕗𝕒𝕔𝕥 𝕞𝕒𝕜𝕖𝕤 𝕚𝕥 𝕟𝕠 𝕝𝕚𝕘𝕙𝕥𝕖𝕣.”
― ℕ𝕚𝕔𝕜 𝕁𝕒𝕟𝕤, 𝔸 𝕎𝕠𝕝𝕗 ℂ𝕒𝕝𝕝𝕖𝕕 ℝ𝕠𝕞𝕖𝕠